Raptors Discussion: v28: Marcus Camby bought out. Linas Kleiza Amnestied. Sign PG Dwight Buycks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Looks like Brian Shaw is Brooklyn's top target.

Would have liked him here instead of Casey.

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
I'd take a lot of coaches out there over Casey. Brian Shaw, SVG, JVG, Lionel Hollins. But next year there should be a good list of coaches available when Masai lets Casey go after his contract is done.

The Korean*

Raptors interview Popeye Jones.

Hey Popeye you know how you can get the gig? Promise MLSE you can get Seth to the Leafs.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Just watched the interview. Leiweke is a huge breath of fresh air. He means business and unlike others before him, you know he isn't b.s.ing -- he is very convincing that he will do whatever he possibly can to turn the Raptors, Leafs and FC into championship calibre teams.

Ujiri was very genuine and the passion shows. Looking forward to see how he moulds this team over the next few months and years.

The organization is in good hands with these two.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.torontosun.com/2013/06/04/raptors-no-guarantee-coach-casey-will-be-back

‘You will be surprised’ who Raptors’ staff will be

Raptors president and general manager of basketball operations Masai Ujiri has the staff he wants pretty much picked out.

It’s not going to be a staff large in numbers like, say, the Toronto Maple Leafs front office, but it is one that is going to put the rest of the league on notice according to MLSE president and CEO Tim Leiweke.

“You will be surprised,” Leiweke said of the staff Ujiri is assembling. “It will be smaller but it’s a very dynamic organization. We will not lack in energy.”

The major hold-up on naming the staff is that some or all are currently under contract to other teams and with the draft just around the corner, are reluctant to leave their old teams at such a pivotal time in the year.

“Even for me it was a tough time to take me away from my team (Denver) because this is one of the periods you are leading into a time when big decision can be made about a team and some of the guys I’m looking at (for his management team) are in that situation too,” Ujiri said. “It’s sensitive. Everyone wants their decision-makers and scouts that they work with to be around on that draft day so, as soon as I’m done with your guys, I’ll go attack that and figure it out as quick as I can.”

Ujiri says he his hopeful he can announce his staff pre-draft but is thinking it will likely be post-draft before that is possible.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/45324/agent-knicks-interested-in-gani-lawal

ncaa_u_lawal_gb1_576.jpg

Gani Lawal (31) and Iman Shumpert (1) were teammates at Georgia Tech.

According to Lawal's agent, Dan Curtin, the Knicks are "interested" in Gani Lawal and will likely work him out after he finishes the season with Virtus Roma in the top division of the Italian league. Curtin said he could envision a one-year contract at the minimum level with an NBA team.

At this point, Lawal has three workouts confirmed -- with the Magic, Pacers and Raptors -- and he's expecting about five more, including the Knicks. The team's director of European scouting, Kevin Wilson, has watched Lawal play in person, Curtin said. Wilson, who is well respected throughout the NBA, helped discover Pablo Prigioni and Chris Copeland.

Lawal -- who played with the Knicks' Iman Shumpert at Georgia Tech from 2008-10 -- could be the Knicks' next international gem, as he does exactly what the team was missing against the Pacers in the second round of the playoffs.

"I like to play physical, I like to rebound, I like to finish strong, I like to get in there and bump and grind," said the 6-foot-9 Lawal, who's focused on improving his midrange jump shot. "When I go on the court, I just try to be a beast and dominate, get every rebound I can. Plus, I can run, I'm quick off my feet and I'm a fighter at the end of the day. I've been around, man. I'm young, but I consider myself seasoned."

Currently, Lawal is leading Roma deep into the playoffs while averaging 13.4 points, 8.4 rebounds and 1.5 blocks in about 26 minutes per game. Lawal said since his ACL injury, he has become a better athlete.

"To me, it was actually a blessing because I got a chance to really appreciate the game," he said. "I did re-change my body. I'm stronger than I've ever been at 245 pounds, 5 percent body fat, my vertical is five inches higher -- I've got a 41-inch vertical now -- and all the testing for the combine after my rehab, all my numbers were better. So I'm just a more finely-tuned athlete physically on the floor now."

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Some conflicting reports about DC in Toronto. Seems Masai may be looking for a head coach after all? TBH it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

I Also like the news that the Raps are after Jeff Weltman for a front office position. That would be another solid addition to the Raptors front office. It all starts with credibility, having Ujiri and Weltman at the helm of the ship would be a big upgrade in what the Raptors had in past years.

I have a feeling that Masai is going to make his mark on the team sooner rather then later, and I don't necessarily think Bargs is going to be his first move. Though It won't be far behind that's for sure. I have the feeling he's going to tear down a lot of what BC built here and I for one am for it. I don't really see this team as legitimate playoff team let alone a championship caliber team. I see anyone being safe from the coach on down. It's going to take a few years if he decides to rebuild but if it's done right and he is able to maximize the return on guys he moves then the turn over time may not be as long as some may think. And I personally don't mind waiting another year or two to get things back on track.

Shimso

Oct 9, 2011
I'm still a surprised TL actually said "tank"; I thought it was taboo to even insinuate it.

I just want to know which direction the team is headed; I'd be ecstatic to get Wiggins but I realize its quite unlikely.

Leafsforlife98

Nov 2, 2011
I'm still a surprised TL actually said "tank"; I thought it was taboo to even insinuate it.

I just want to know which direction the team is headed; I'd be ecstatic to get Wiggins but I realize its quite unlikely.

I wouldn't doubt the TANK option for the new team. During the interview Masai said he is a player developer, that there might be hard times ahead, that Canadian basketball is growing, wouldn't say if there is a franchise player to build around here, wouldn't comment on any of the current players, among lots of other things, makes it seem to me like he is going to clean house. Keep some of the good young pieces, like Jonas, Ross and Amir. I think pretty much anyone else could be gone.

I can see him shipping off as many assets to get potential top 10 picks in the draft next year. Problem is, with the salaries they are making it will be tough to get top 10 picks a super deep draft.

The teams they should be targeting should be

Orlando
Charlotte
Detroit
Washington
Phoenix
Sacramento
Minnesota
Portland
New Orleans

The assets we have are

Rudy Gay
Demar Derozan
Kyle Lowry
Andrea Bargani

I would try these few trades if possible
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Toronto- Hedo Turkoglu SF (BUYOUT), Andrew Nicholson PF and 2014 1st round pick

- Would buy out Hedo right away, which would cost us money, but would get a good 1st round pick and Canadian Nicholson to eventually start at the Power Forward (hopefully)

To Orlando- Rudy Gay SF

- Get a star player to build around, and a small forward which they desperately need. Can afford to re sign him in a year or two since Orlando is one of the top spenders in the league. They also get rid of Hedo's horrible contract.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Toronto- John Salmons SG and 2014 1st round pick

- Get a 1st round pick to pick up the remaining years on Salmons contract

To Sacramento- Kyle Lowry PG and 2014 2nd round pick

- Finally get a solid point guard since they have been lacking on since god knows when. Also get a 2nd round pick.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Toronto- Rodney Stuckey PG and 2014 1st round pick

- Get a great 1st round pick to pick up remaining years of Stuckey's contract

To Detroit - Demar Derozan SG

- Get a great, young shooting guard to get some scoring in their backcourt. Would have a solid nucleus with Knight, Derozan, Drummond and Monroe.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Toronto- Anything but a bad long term contract

To Whoever- Andrea Bargnani

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If Masai could pull these trades off, we would have an excellent chance at grabbing 4 top 10-15 picks in the draft which would turn our franchise around big time.

This is a core of young players to develop for the next few years especially if we can get Andrew Wiggens with one of those picks.

Jonas Valancuinas
Terrance Ross
Andrew Nicholson
Amir Johnson
Toronto 1st round pick 2014
Detroit 1st round pick 2014
Orlando 1st round pick 2014
Sacramento 1st round pick 2014

Last edited:

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
Problem with your idea is that every team always protects their pick in every trade.

And no team would trade a potential lottery pick for demar. Or probably even rudy. Only val has that kind of value.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 6m

Denver has parted ways with coach George Karl, league source tells Yahoo! Sports.

Bruce Arthur ‏@bruce_arthur 3m

Masai Ujiri arrives in Toronto, George Karl leaves Denver, probably reading too much into this.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Denver has parted ways with coach George Karl, league source tells Yahoo! Sports.

Masai Ujiri arrives in Toronto, George Karl leaves Denver, probably reading too much into this.

If the idea is to position themselves for a lottery pick next summer then why would Karl ever agree to come here?

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON

something fishy is going on in Denver. Masai leaves and then Karl. especially after winning their executive and coach of the year awards. what team doesn't want to hold on to either one of them after the spectacular season they had. i honestly thought he was going to stay and we'd maybe have a chance to hire him in a year.

whatever is going on, hopefully the raptors can hire him. and fire casey or leave him as the defensive coach.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
I feel like Karl's choice is mostly because of his health.

However, I could see us giving him an executive job for now and him taking over the reigns once Casey's contract is done.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
something fishy is going on in Denver. Masai leaves and then Karl. especially after winning their executive and coach of the year awards. what team doesn't want to hold on to either one of them after the spectacular season they had. i honestly thought he was going to stay and we'd maybe have a chance to hire him in a year.

whatever is going on, hopefully the raptors can hire him. and fire casey or leave him as the defensive coach.

Iggy is likely leaving too. Wilson Chandler's contract might be one to move as well.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
The Nuggets front office and George Karl were split on their opinion of JaVale McGee, and that contributed to his dismissal, sources told Fox Sports Florida.

Denver's front office handed McGee a four year deal worth more than $40 million in the offseason, but Karl used him like the Thunder used Hasheem Thabeet instead of starting him. Karl reportedly refused to start McGee and management also blamed him for losing the series against the Warriors. Additionally, management blamed Karl for playing Andre Miller too much and not properly developing Evan Fournier. There are some very real issues in the Denver front office right now.

MrLegend28*

lol were not getting Karl, if the GM wants to rebuild/develop were not making the playoffs. and none of those proposed trades would go through. Orlando is rebuilding they wont be trading core pieces + picks for Rudy Gay lol. No one is giving a first for DeMar.. its gonna be status quo in toronto.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
If it's true the GM wants to rebuild (Sorry I missed the Presser) it's still not a bad option to sign Karl.

When Denver traded Carmelo they were supposed to be in rebuild mode...however Karl does well with young players. At the same time, we'd have someone that commands respect.

Cool Hand Luke

May 27, 2008
Since the Wiggins dream seems to be predicated on impossible circumstances, could it be possible that management is looking to grab a different Toronto born kid, Anthony Bennett? This years draft being seen as weaker, it might be easier to get multiple picks and unload some salary, and then package those picks to move up and grab this kid. Maybe even grab a mid 2nd rounder and pick up Kabongo as well. This could be our "Canadian" draft. Both guys fill roles we need, a Power Forward to replace Bargs, and a back-up PG.

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/anthony-bennett

Very raw prospect, but has potential. I know he is a tweener, but the league seems to be going small anyways, and with JV as his front court partner, he wouldn't need to worry as much about being such a physical presence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad