Raptors Discussion: v27: Ujiri signs 5 year, $3m per year deal to become Raptors GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
that would be good, raptors is kind of a childish name, like the mighty ducks.

Also it brings back the history of basketball in Toronto when we had a team in 1946, for one season only though in the Basketball Association of America (now NBA). Obviously they're name was.... the Toronto Huskies.

The Raptors wore Huskie jerseys back in 09 I believe? Sick look. Blue and white, and so much much more relevant to the city and to rest of the Toronto teams

daner

Feb 18, 2009
LOL Greg Brady ripped Mike Toth a new one for asking Lewieke during the interview something along the lines of "Wouldn't it have made sense to have Bryan Colangelo here today to help introduce Ujiri?"

Brady laughed at this idea....."yes lets have the guy we fired awkwardly sit right beside the man who took his job....no not awkward at all. Yet they keep letting him into these media scrums....WHY???" hahahaha

We have some impressive journalists work in Toronto don't we?

Last edited:

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
that would be good, raptors is kind of a childish name, like the mighty ducks.

IMO Raptors is a cool name.. and ANA dropped Mighty from their name like 7 years ago.

As for GMMU, he can't do much worse than BC, so everything should be up from here. Funny thing is.. we were praising the signing of BC off of his executive of the year award too, thinking this would be the guy to take us to the next level - and all that promise turned to ~!@#.

Keeping Casey is not a good start.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.denverpost.com/lunchspec...ujiris-track-record-not-impressive-offer-flee

The Nuggets made the right call in letting Masai Ujiri go, rather than matching the Toronto Raptors' ridiculous, reported five-year, $15 million contract to make him their new general manager.

Masai was a good GM, but no savior. Anybody who can read the results from the first round of the NBA playoffs the past two years would know that.

Since when did Ujiri become a brilliant strategist anyway? Was it when he failed late in the season to go out and get a guy who could shoot the basketball in the playoffs? Was it when he gave a multi-year contract to JaVale McGee, whom his own coach couldn't trust to put on the court in key playoff situations?

The fact that the Nuggets haven't gotten out of the first round of the playoffs the past two years is one of the more underachieving NBA stories in that time. Yet, Ujiri gets rewarded with a five-year contract as a result by another team.

Tim Leiweke orchestrated this whole deal, in his new job as president and chief executive of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment. Anyone who doesn't think this was a long-awaited payback shot at the Nuggets — for edging him out of the organization in the 1990s — doesn't know what's really going on. Leiweke saw a chance to stick it to the Nuggets, and he took it.

Giuseppe Sallo

ELE-VAT-ED
Apr 20, 2007
Back to L.A
twitter.com
I believe in this guy cause he was a big part in rebuilding the Nuggets but the Raps need a veteran presence, they need solid pieces. I have a feeling he will make a big trade. Also: I think firing Casey is not out if the question, experience coach is needed ala Lenny Wilkins when we had some sort of success.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/jack_armstrong/?id=424713

Masai Ujiri (Raptors): Watched the press conference on Tuesday. Let there be no doubt, he's in charge - 100 per cent. The added title of president of basketball operations and how he handled the questions about the presence of president Bryan Colangelo, as well as their relationship, said it all to me. He's his own man and he will make all the calls. He's got the bat and the ball. Very clear.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I like the Raptors name. It's different. I also didn't like the Huskies jerseys because I found them too boring. I also think that going for that name just feels like they're trying to manufacture some history/tradition. But you can't manufacture history. You have to build it naturally.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Cliff notes version of the Ujiri presser for those that didn't watch it (I'm watching it right now as I type this up)

-Ujiri feels like he's home. This is the org that he "grew up" in and it feels good to return and see familiar faces.

-His first order of business is to reset the front office and hire his staff.

-He doesn't know what the first/most pressing concern with the roster is yet, as he wants to get his staff in place before they start looking at making changes at the player level.

-Bryan Colangelo was a mentor to him, but Ujiri makes it clear that he's in charge, not Colangelo. He might ask for Colangelo's input (and Wayne Embrey's too) if necessary, but the decisions are his and his alone and the onus for most of that will be on him and the staff he assembles.

-Dwane Casey will be the coach for next year at least since he's under contract. He will sit down and talk to him at some point to discuss his future further. He doesn't want to address Casey's future more until he's had that chance to have a fuller meeting with Casey to talk about his (Casey's) plans for the team, his goals, his strategies, etc. For the time being at least he doesn't see any changes to Casey and the staff for the coming season.

-He makes it clear that he's not Bryan Colangelo. He'll run the team in his own way and to his own blueprint.

-Regarding the perception problem and player attraction/retention problems that Toronto has with FA talent, Ujiri believes he can sell FAs on Toronto by creating a culture that fosters the idea of Toronto as an attractive destination. He notes that Denver wasn't a market that's high on players' wish lists, but by having good management, coaching, and players you can make it a destination that other players want to come to. He says that the non-basketball issues like taxation and city culture and whatnot aren't as big of an issue as they're made out to be because every city has some issues. He also thinks that it shouldn't be that hard to sell players on Toronto the city if you do it right.

-An important part of growing the team will be growing with young players. Establishing, as he calls it "the back end of the roster" with youth who can develop.

-Won't comment on any untouchable immovable players on the roster yet. Every player has positives and negatives and he knows he can't just fall in love with a player and make them off-limits. You have to look at every player realistically and he will consider who is and isn't on the block after having a better look at everyone on the roster.

-His philosopy and direction/identity for the team will be decided on after his staff is hired and he's talked with the coaching staff and other management. He knows that they need to pick some aspect of the game to focus on and use as the cornerstone to their ability to compete.

-Isn't concerned with the lacklustre history on the court for the Raptors. Sees no reason he can't change the team's fortunes and make them successful. Sees plenty of good in the organization. Notes that Denver was considered dysfunctional and not an ideal org when he went there, but they turned into a team that won 57 games last year.

-He likes positivity :laugh:

-Is fully on board with new analytics and metrics. He likes the system that the Raptors implemented in the last couple of years and he intends to build on that. He thinks that proper use of the new analytical tools is important to being successful, but he isn't abandoning traditional scouting and evaluation either, knowing that mental makeup and attitude are important to players just as much as their recorded productivity.

-Won't commit to specifically focusing on just youth or veterans. He'll decide exactly how he wants to do things after assembling a staff and creating a plan. He knows that there are many ways to go about building a roster, from going for a youthful rebuild to tweaking and modifying the existing roster.

-Ownership has assured him that there will be no issues with having to keep the payroll down or run on a shoestring budget. He's not worried about being unwilling or unable to spend into the luxury tax if it's to make the right moves.

-Feels that he's gained valuable experience since leaving Toronto. Credits the GMs he's learned from in his NBA career before, during, and after his time with the Raptors. His passion is and always has been scouting and he feels that it's his strongest point. In Denver specifically he's learned how to handle tough situations (obviously speaking of the Melo trade) and how to compromise when necessary to get the job done. He thinks that he's a better exec than when he left Toronto, but he's got plenty to learn still.

I've only seen up to part 8 on the Raptors.com list. I don't know if it's my computer or their site, but for some reason I can't go to the next "page" of videos. I hit the next button and it just scrolls up to the video player and the selection list goes blank.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
With the way they have been constantly saying they want to put the team in a position to win championships instead of focusing on just making the playoffs leads me to believe there could very well be a massive overhaul in Toronto.

Ujiri has a clean slate and pretty much what ever direction he decides to head management and the fans are ready to stand behind him. If there was ever a time for Toronto to hit the reset button it's now. Though I have no doubts that it's going to be a challenge for him in Toronto, I have faith he's going to break down what needs to be broke down and bring in the right people to make this team more then just a fringe playoff team.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
I like the Raptors name. It's different. I also didn't like the Huskies jerseys because I found them too boring. I also think that going for that name just feels like they're trying to manufacture some history/tradition. But you can't manufacture history. You have to build it naturally.

I have to agree. I like the Raptors name I like the raptors colors and I like the uniform. For those saying it's childish? I don't really understand, Considering the way it's evolved over the years I think it's quite stylish. It's not like we are sporting a big Purple dinosaur on it any more and the color scheme is nice. ( I don't think every Toronto team needs to be Blue and white, Raptors have their own identity separate from the Blue jays and Maple Leafs. They don't need to change their name and team colors to reinvent them selves. It starts with solid management and for the first time in a long time it looks like we have someone who knows how to build a team and make the moves that may not be popular with the fans but will turn out to be solid moves for the franchise in the long run.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I have to agree. I like the Raptors name I like the raptors colors and I like the uniform. For those saying it's childish? I don't really understand, Considering the way it's evolved over the years I think it's quite stylish. It's not like we are sporting a big Purple dinosaur on it any more and the color scheme is nice. ( I don't think every Toronto team needs to be Blue and white, Raptors have their own identity separate from the Blue jays and Maple Leafs. They don't need to change their name and team colors to reinvent them selves. It starts with solid management and for the first time in a long time it looks like we have someone who knows how to build a team and make the moves that may not be popular with the fans but will turn out to be solid moves for the franchise in the long run.

All I want for the Raptors to do is ditch or downplay the black alternate (so they can wear the red more) and if they really want to separate themselves from the Bulls/Heat/Blazers who all use red/black/white or red/black/grey, they can add some purple for trim or secondary color purposes. Hell, put in a Carter-era purple as an alt if they really want to go different.

Keep the name, keep the red, make the team historic/important by (as you said) winning. I'm tired of teams going faux traditional because throwbacks and jerseys from 30+ years ago are popular. If you're a team like the Lakers or the Celtics or the Knicks and you have history, then use it. But the Raptors are a team that's not even 20 years old yet. It feels dishonest and lame for them to throw on a name and unis that try to evoke the idea of them being a decades-old franchise. You don't see the SJ Sharks being renamed to the California Golden Seals. Or the Seattle Mariners being turned into the Seattle Pilots, or the like. Build your own tradition, don't mooch of others'.

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
At times he seems to be referring to a need to rebuild, and then other times mentions he thinks they can compete for playoffs next year. I'm confused.

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada

If they want they can keep the Raptors name and just change the branding to a bird of prey instead of a extinct dinosaur riding on the popularity of a movie 20 years old (wow lol).

I was going to say maybe an F-22 Raptor as well but it's to close to the Winnipeg Jets.

EDIT: Nem also they should wear the black MORE! It's the only Jersey that looks good. I hate the red and white and white and red. Black with red and white trim just looks right to me. Very sharp looking.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
If they want they can keep the Raptors name and just change the branding to a bird of prey instead of a extinct dinosaur riding on the popularity of a movie 20 years old (wow lol).

I was going to say maybe an F-22 Raptor as well but it's to close to the Winnipeg Jets.

EDIT: Nem also they should wear the black MORE! It's the only Jersey that looks good. I hate the red and white and white and red. Black with red and white trim just looks right to me. Very sharp looking.

Nobody even pays attention to the Jurrasic Park reference anymore except to try and make fun of the name. I guess the Lakers should change their name too since they're playing in a region that has zero lakes, or the Utah Jazz should change since there's no music scene in SLC. They've had the name for the entire franchise history, nearing 20 years now. The origin is irrelevant.

And freaking every team in sports uses a black jersey. It's fine for a few, but I'm sick of black jerseys that have no purpose for being there except that fans like black jerseys because they're easier to wear with whatever. Throw some purple in, and go white with red/purple/silver trim for home, red with purple/black/silver trim (white letters) for road, and have a purple alt if they want it. A quarter of the league wears

wulfio*

utah is the jazz because they were originally from New Orleans. it makes perfect sense, keeping the name doesn't. the lakers were originally from Minneapolis; many lakes. Both of these teams were named appropriately when the franchises began. Which is why I'm wondering where all those velociraptor sightings in southern Ontario are to explain our name.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
utah is the jazz because they were originally from New Orleans. it makes perfect sense, keeping the name doesn't. the lakers were originally from Minneapolis; many lakes. Both of these teams were named appropriately when the franchises began. Which is why I'm wondering where all those velociraptor sightings in southern Ontario are to explain our name.

I know that's where the names come from. But they make about as much sense for where they are now as the Raptors do. And nobody cares about it.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
I'm fine with "Raptors". Not a fan of the old purple, much rather keep this one or come up with something new.

Masai sounds like a breath of fresh air that this organization needs. But words are words. I like his attitude and honesty but lets see some results. I think he'll keep Casey another year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad