GDT: V | "Battle of the Backups" | Canes @ Oilers | 10.17.17 | 7pm | SN Oilers

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
Tues night game vs the Canes. 1-3 start. Injuries and under-performers all over the place.... It's amazing how much the excitement for this team has completely crashed in less than 2 weeks.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Listening to Neilson this morning and him and Servelli both said they reviewed the game tape and couldnt find a instance of Drai getting high sticked... makes you wonder...
People have posted where he gets rocked in the face by Trouba.

Emotive

Oct 6, 2017
People have posted where he gets rocked in the face by Trouba.

I swear I remember him getting a high stick that game that went uncalled as well. But that trouba hit was definitely what did it. Looked a little high and like a bit of an elbow to me at the time but I never got a real good look at it. Either way I hope draisaitl isn’t out for too long

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I keep thinking back to the hit Laine took last season. He got demolished on that hit by McCabe (I think it was him anyways) and it didn't look good the way he was proned out on the ice.

8 games later he was back in the lineup. Seeing how LD is already skating again, I think he'll be back sooner than later.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
Tonight's headline win or lose will be about depth. Hopefully, Talbot feels the pressure to excel for this team, and on top of that wonders if Brossoit will take his job by the end of the season (which I doubt) who ends up playing amazing for us. I think Talbot could use that extra push after such an awesome year last year.

Second.... the second and third lines, the 'depth' everyone claims we have. I hope McDavid scores zero tonight just to put the pressure on the guys where it's warranted. No more coasting off the best player in the league, it's time to step up and deliver to the level your paid and hte level you've shown at some point in your career. Between RNH, Lucic, Strome, Maroon and Jokinen surely somebody can deliver.... right?!?!?

Sleppy and Kass are really the only guys outside of Drai and McD that seem to have brought the effort.

Sleppy has brought the effort? My goodness, he's been one of our worst forwards in this little beginning stretch. I get that he's just getting back from injury, but he needed a bit more conditioning before getting a call-up.

I think that RNH and Lucic have been playing well... I think it's fair to call-out Strome, Jokinen, and Maroon though - they have looked like dead weight out there. I like KY with McDavid, but it's clear that there is still a lot of development he needs.

Our bottom 2 d-men are terribly bad - I was completely unimpressed with Auvitu... it's hard to be so bad that Gryba looks like the stable half of your pairing!

My prediction today is 3-1 Edmonton with RNH, Maroon, and Larsson scoring.

Oilception

Oct 11, 2012
St. Albert
Okay I was at the game on Saturday (it was awful) and for some reason I was inspired and bought tickets for tonight as well. I think we need to win a game we dont deserve to win to get off the skid, have some luck.

3-2
McDavid
Nurse
Kassian

LB stands on his head

Hugo McStiglitz

#BlameTheWater
Dec 27, 2010
Listening to Neilson this morning and him and Servelli both said they reviewed the game tape and couldnt find a instance of Drai getting high sticked... makes you wonder...

He got flattened by Trouba and most people believe this is where his injury came from. Here's a clip:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
If you watch Drai as he skates off after the Trouba hit.. he looks like he is laboring a little and he skates off slowly while taking his glove off. Seems like he was rocked more than let on there.

Of course that was only at the end of the 1st and he played the rest of the game... so I assume the swelling and issues developed after the game ended.

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie
Just win please expect the boys to come out with a big effort, we will see if it's enough, Canes match up well in their favour against the Oilers IMO.

Also someone make a GDT please... I would if wasn't working late tonight, that pregame talk non sense was a Jinx....

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I have the same feeling today that I did before the Ottawa Game. Few days off and high expectations. I think the team will come off to a weak start. If Brossoit can weather the storm better than Talbot did we can win this game.

I think the upcoming road trip is just what the team needs to be honest.
You had the same feeling before the winnipeg and vancouver game too minus the few days off bit.
why-you-always-lying-feat.jpg

Just win pls, 5-3 good guys.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
He got flattened by Trouba and most people believe this is where his injury came from. Here's a clip:

Yeah they discussed this too, but both (servelli, neilson) and I don't really see how he got that type of black eye that he has from that hit. I get the concussion aspect of it for sure. Idk just a conspiracy theory. It was more of joke then anything ahahah

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You had the same feeling before the winnipeg and vancouver game too minus the few days off bit.
why-you-always-lying-feat.jpg

Just win pls, 5-3 good guys.
Actually I I thought we were gonna win the Vancouver game lol. Same with the Calgary one.
I thought we were going to lose the Winnipeg one cause I just couldn't see Winnipeg losing 3 in a row.
And I thought we would lose the Ottawa game cause of the break and Ottawa had our number lol

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Carolina seems like a solid team on paper. Young team with a few decent vets (Staal, Williams).
Good solid top 4 D... some underrated forwards... goaltending a bit of an issue with Cam Ward in net... but capable of having a solid game as well.

Oilers should be on point here and be very hungry for a W... but this opponent is no pushover either and have only played 3 games so no reason for them to be tired.

I honestly expect a pretty low scoring game... hopefully something like a 2-1 win where the Oilers get their act together in net and on D and pop a couple timely goals as well.

Let's see... scorers that need to get on the board... Auvitu and Strome. Maybe an empty netter at the end by Yamamoto as the cherry on top after a tight defensive game. :)

Oilers are facing Williams so I expect him to pot one for sure.

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017
Oilers break out tonight 7-2...and the go on to run the table in Oct finishing 7-3 for the month sitting pretty where we all expected them to be

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad