GDT: V | "Battle of the Backups" | Canes @ Oilers | 10.17.17 | 7pm | SN Oilers

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
Battle of the Backups aka We need a Win.

Just throwing this up for now... thank god there's hockey tonight.
Looking forward to a win, this forum needs it as much as the team does.

oilersnation.com article
https://oilersnation.com/2017/10/17...icanes/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Brad Malone will be in the lineup.

Oilers lines copied from SBNation:
https://www.coppernblue.com/platfor...connor-mcdavid-laurent-brossoit-jaccob-slavin

EDMONTON
Patrick Maroon - Connor McDavid - Kailer Yamamoto
Milan Lucic - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - Ryan Strome
Jujhar Khaira - Mark Letestu - Zack Kassian
Jussi Jokinen - Brad Malone - Anton Slepyshev
Oscar Klefbom - Adam Larsson
Kris Russell - Matt Benning
Darnell Nurse - Eric Gryba
Laurent Brossoit
Cam Talbot

If you're going to the game....

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I have the same feeling today that I did before the Ottawa Game. Few days off and high expectations. I think the team will come off to a weak start. If Brossoit can weather the storm better than Talbot did we can win this game.

I think the upcoming road trip is just what the team needs to be honest.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
If there was such a thing as a must win in mid October... this would be it.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Hard to say which Canes team we get tonight. They are as unpredictable as anybody. When that club is on they play us well. In anycase Oilers have to dictate terms and tempo.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Hard to say which Canes team we get tonight. They are as unpredictable as anybody. When that club is on they play us well. In anycase Oilers have to dictate terms and tempo.
Carolina had been kind of like us, outshot their opponents in all 3 games except they have had good goaltending but have also has scoring problems.

This will be a very hard game for the team and I hope they go into it like they would Pittsburgh.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
These guys had their way with us in the preseason. Hopefully we come out swinging. Hoping for big games from Strome and Jokinen. We need depth scoring in the worst way right now.

Last edited:

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Auvitu and Gryba again cause Benning sick.

Malone is in.

Oy. With Benning out they might as well play 4 defencemen. Auvitu and Gryba were just awful last game I thought.

Not expecting much out of the team tonight but hoping for the best. Good to hear that Draisaitl is skating too, seems like he won't be out too long if that's already the case.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Oy. With Benning out they might as well play 4 defencemen. Auvitu and Gryba were just awful last game I thought.

Not expecting much out of the team tonight but hoping for the best. Good to hear that Draisaitl is skating too, seems like he won't be out too long if that's already the case.
I can handle our top 4 defense right now but having Gryba on the ice always lead to a good chance against, him going to the box or a good scoring chance he sadly takes the shot on.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Generally I think of the Canes as a stingy group who might have issues putting the puck in the net. Will be a real challenge given where the Oilers are currently.

Epoh

Nov 22, 2014
Tonight's headline win or lose will be about depth. Hopefully, Talbot feels the pressure to excel for this team, and on top of that wonders if Brossoit will take his job by the end of the season (which I doubt) who ends up playing amazing for us. I think Talbot could use that extra push after such an awesome year last year.

Second.... the second and third lines, the 'depth' everyone claims we have. I hope McDavid scores zero tonight just to put the pressure on the guys where it's warranted. No more coasting off the best player in the league, it's time to step up and deliver to the level your paid and hte level you've shown at some point in your career. Between RNH, Lucic, Strome, Maroon and Jokinen surely somebody can deliver.... right?!?!?

Sleppy and Kass are really the only guys outside of Drai and McD that seem to have brought the effort.

AK Dandyman

Sep 12, 2008
Asking these questions after looking at our schedule. We've all been saying, myself included, no panic and not must win yet. The schedule though, especially Nov, looks pretty rough, and there's the potential we're in a real deep hole if we don't do well in the remaining 6 games in October.

How important are these next 6 games and how many points we might be able to get?

Do you see us doing a lot better than going .500 in November considering the number of games in the month and with 2 long road trips?

Rest of Oct (6 games):
Carolina
at Chicago
at Philly
at Pittsburg
Dallas
Washington

Nov (16 games in 30 days! 9 on the road, 7 at home):
Pit
NJD
Det
at NYI
at NJD
at NYR
at Wsh
VGK
STL
at Dal
at STL
at DET
at BUF
at BOS
ARI
Tor

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
I think we win tonight . No way this club goes 1-4.

4-2 Win. Strome(1), McDavid(2) and Slepeshev (1)

Does anyone have the Oilers starting lineup for tonight?

Last edited:

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Listening to Neilson this morning and him and Servelli both said they reviewed the game tape and couldnt find a instance of Drai getting high sticked... makes you wonder...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad