Speculation: V. 2014 Stars Offseason Thread: Spezza to the Rescue

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
These are all the positives about Eaves while the injury stuff is acknowledged but with no update.

I assume that means he's either A) healthy or B) didn't want to talk about it. I guess I just haven't seen an answer to is healthy and ready to go actually.

Probably should ask Mark.

EDIT: Regardless, if the guys healthy, i think he fills a very similar but less offensively productive role as Peverely, and he's a guy that could play significant minutes if he can stay healthy. I just don't have a ton of faith that he will remain healthy based on recent history. He has been more unlucky though than say feeble with a reoccuring injury so there is that.

I could easily see a healthy Eaves though causing the break up of the Eakin line and pushing Horcoff out of the Top 12. I think they'd go with the LR balance to play Sceviour and Eaves at RW, and then also try and tap into Sceviour's IMO better offensive potential. Plus, Horcoff doesn't have the speed Eaves can bring.

Roussel-Eakin-Sceviour
Garbutt-Fiddler-Eaves

Like I said I'm not confident that Eaves can stay healthy long term, but that's two very fast, solid lines. I liked Horcoff late in the season, but he's a step way behind all of those players in the speed department, and Eaves might honestly have more playoff experience than him anyway.

Last edited:

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Downside is you're getting smaller, and Horcoff was a PPG in the playoffs. That Horcoff-Fiddler-Sceviour line was so good at times.

Good problem to have I guess.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Is Cole still playing in this scenario?

I honestly forget Cole exists sometimes. But I think there's still a fair chance he'll be up in the top 6 since I'm not holding my breath for Ritchie to make it out of camp. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised though.

I don't know who else would fill in the slot assuming it's:

Benn-Seguin-Hemsky
Nuke-Spezza-______

SolidusAKA

Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I honestly forget Cole exists sometimes. But I think there's still a fair chance he'll be up in the top 6 since I'm not holding my breath for Ritchie to make it out of camp. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised though.

I don't know who else would fill in the slot assuming it's:

Benn-Seguin-Hemsky
Nuke-Spezza-______

My two ideal choices would be Sceviour or Ritchie - will probably end up being Cole :cry:

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Is Cole still playing in this scenario?

To explain better now that I have more time. I think Cole is Top 6 or bust on this current team. I don't mean I think he can't play in the Bottom 6, I just don't see how he'd earn a spot over several other players including Horcoff.

Look at his usage last year. He was only really effective when he was playing well in the Top 6. Despite his speed, he didn't have the same positive impact on the game Roussel and Garbutt had as depth players. Eventually, he sat in the playoffs in favor of guys like Horcoff and Mueller. I think some of it was injury which is why he'll get a chance in camp in the Top 6, but he does nothing for me with Eakin personally. I don't think he meshed with Fiddler either. Horcoff did, and so did Sceviour.

I just don't see a place in the Bottom 6 that makes much sense for him. At LW, Roussel, Horcoff, Garbutt, and Eaves are all better options. At RW, Sceviour, Garbutt, Eaves, and IMO I'd go Glennie over him as well.

If he can score at though consistently with Spezza and not fan on his chances, I'm fine with him. I'm fine with him as the 13th or 14th if they have too.

So yes regardless of what happens with Cole in the Top 6, I'm not a big fan of him in the Bottom 6. If Eaves can't go ... which would be far from shocking, I for sure want Horcoff over Cole ... no question. He really took off with Fids and Sceviour.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
What I was getting at was more directed at Horcoff. If Eaves were to take a spot on that 3rd line I think whoever he pushes out goes to the 4th line. I don't see Eaves pushing Horcoff out of the lineup. Where Cole comes in is that like you, I don't really see him helping much in a bottom 6 role. So, unless he's tearing it up on the 2nd line (doubtful) I see him getting pushed out of the lineup if Eaves were to push his way onto the 3rd line, with Sceviour most likely moving up from the 4th to the 2nd.

Horcoff added a fair bit to the mix of things last year and I don't see Eaves pushing him out of a spot.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
It's hard to predict because there's no way of knowing which version of Horcoff and Cole we'll get. Will we get the Horcoff who was a major contributor in the playoffs or the one who was skating in cement to start the season? Will we get the Cole that crashes and drives the net or the one that turns the puck over and can't receive passes?

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
What I was getting at was more directed at Horcoff. If Eaves were to take a spot on that 3rd line I think whoever he pushes out goes to the 4th line. I don't see Eaves pushing Horcoff out of the lineup. Where Cole comes in is that like you, I don't really see him helping much in a bottom 6 role. So, unless he's tearing it up on the 2nd line (doubtful) I see him getting pushed out of the lineup if Eaves were to push his way onto the 3rd line, with Sceviour most likely moving up from the 4th to the 2nd.

Horcoff added a fair bit to the mix of things last year and I don't see Eaves pushing him out of a spot.

I think if an when Horcoff gets pushed out of the lineup is for the reason I mentioned earlier and piqued mentioned as well ... speed.

I've said numerous times though I like him the best of Dallas' vets, but his biggest flaw at this point is his speed. So I don't think it's impossible personally. I think it's unlikely unless Eaves finds some consistent level of health, but Horcoff's hold on a roster spot isn't a firm one compared to an Eakin or Fiddler. He's not comparable to either at center, and while he's a nice 5th center to have .... it's no shock to me that he didn't blossom with Dallas until he got on the wing.

Again the last thing I'm saying is he needs to be pushed out, but the whole concept of this team is competition. I think I respect his playoffs as much anyone, and I've said I really do have a ton of faith in the Horcoff-Fiddler-Sceviour trio. I'm just pointing out it's clear IMO he's not a given for full time Top 12 duty.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
You guys are both right. I tend to think Eaves won't stay healthy so it's kind of a moot point I guess.

It really is crazy how much cap space we have tied up in guys who are at best replacement level players. Horcoff is the most useful of the ones I'm talking about, but then you've got Gonchar and Cole too. $15M in cap space tied up in three players, none of whom are essential, one of which is a negative value in the lineup, one that is a useful 4th line winger/PK'er, and one that is a wildcard and not someone who can be depended on.

Hopefully we use that outgoing cap space well in the coming years.

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
It really is crazy how much cap space we have tied up in guys who are at best replacement level players.

It is, but all three are gone next year which is fantastic. They have will have served their purpose when needed, and their contract ends just when the usefulness runs out no doubt being replaced by younger, cheaper options like Glennie, McKenzie, and whoever else.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
You guys are both right. I tend to think Eaves won't stay healthy so it's kind of a moot point I guess.

I got so busy at work I didn't notice Mark did respond and mention he believed Eaves was recently skating at a pro camp in Michigan. That for sure doesn't say much about his long term health, but he seems like he's likely ready for camp.

The only thing I'd add is Horcoff IMO doesn't have to hold off just Eaves. You're also talking about Glennie and McKenzie potentially. I think the odds are probably still in his favor early on, but he's going to likely have a loose grip on a roster spot the entire season.

From a McKenzie POV ... Dallas' Bottom 6 doesn't have a ton of size, and he's willing to throw it around. Depending on how they perform early, McKenzie could be a guy brought up just to add a new dimension occasionally.

Ton of potential moving parts on those last few spots. Should be an interesting competition.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Should be interesting but I still think at the end of the day the younger guys like Ritchie, McKenzie, Glennie etc don't start the year in Dallas, or in Glennie's case he's in the press box. While I don't think Nill is lying per say but Ritchie is going to have to be significantly better than everyone else to make it unless they can dump Cole, Horcoff etc. Sheer numbers and waivers play a part and they may try the vets for a while till a deal comes up or it's obvious they can't hack it but anyone hoping for

Benn-Seguin-Hemsky
Val-Spezza-Ritchie

I think is going to be disappointed at least in the beginning. Of course injuries, trades, and younger guys playing like their hair is on fire can change things but if it's not a vast difference between the AHL guys vs the NHL guys they'll stick with what they have for now.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
The offseason has become excrusiating...maybe someone can post the latest fruity social media picture of one of our players so that we can trade forum jabs at one another to kill a couple of days until the official top 20 comes out? ;)

A picture of Seguin licking his own tattoo sleeve with a bowling pin strapped sticking out from the crotch of his jock-strapped junk perhaps?

Last edited:

dechire

Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
The offseason has become excrusiating...maybe someone can post the latest fruity social media picture of one of our players so that we can trade forum jabs at one another to kill a couple of days until the official top 20 comes out? ;)

We can always talk about Jamie Benn being one of Dallas' most eligible men :sarcasm:

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
We can always talk about Jamie Benn being one of Dallas' most eligible men :sarcasm:

He's so dreamy in his flat-billed hat that he wears when he hits the town with Tyler. ;)

And now to think that they have sleeves that when put side by side connect to form the most expensive two-part, bromance tattoo.

dechire

Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
He's so dreamy in his flat-billed hat that he wears when he hits the town with Tyler. ;)

And now to think that they have sleeves that when put side by side connect to form the most expensive two-part, bromance tattoo.

You can't forget that he's also gotten a matching tattoo with Jordie now. If only Tyler was also a Benn brother so he could get in on that :(

Ampersand

Ugh this off-season needs to end.
Almost every article the Stars have put out in the last month, deals with the "Defense Question". They then go on to repeat the same Nill & Gaglardi quotes ad nauseam.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Sens fan coming in peace.

Was just wondering if any one of you guys could give some input on Chiasson?

Like what are his best tools?
What player does he project to be?
What kind of player would you compare him to ceiling wise?

Thought it would be better coming from you guys who have watched him multiple times rather than just looking at highlight reels.

Thanks!

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden

Like what are his best tools?
What player does he project to be?
What kind of player would you compare him to ceiling wise?

Thought it would be better coming from you guys who have watched him multiple times rather than just looking at highlight reels.

Thanks!

Just to warn you, I'm not a person who was high on Chiasson, probably one of his biggest critics in his time here.

What is his best tools? His Hockey sense, really don't have much more than that.

What player does he project to be? I think no one knows for sure, he's a tricky player to figure out. The Stars wanted him to be a net-front powerforward, gritty and all that but I don't think he has the mentality for it or the hands. He's probably better as a offensive non-physical winger and allow him to use his hockey sense more.

What kind of player would you compare him to ceiling wise? Again Chiasson is a tricky player. He has stone hands, a bad shot and is a very bad skater but he still has good timing and feel for the game, were to be etc. I have no idea what that compares to but I think his ceiling is a 2nd line winger and is IMO most likely end up as a 3rd line scorer.

I know some people is going to bring up his sickness and the Pevs incident but honestly he was horrible before that. But it also might have been that he as a really bad skater didn't mesh well with a fast skating team. I guess we'll see next year.

Just a fyi, Nick Paul might have been the most valuable player you got in the deal, some people really liked him on this board and hockey Canada too apparently.

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
What player does he project to be? I think no one knows for sure, he's a tricky player to figure out. The Stars wanted him to be a net-front powerforward, gritty and all that but I don't think he has the mentality for it or the hands. He's probably better as a offensive non-physical winger and allow him to use his hockey sense more.

That was really odd as in the NCAA he was said to be a 200 foot, non-physical, wing that could take faceoffs on occasion. Which is, of course, nothing like how Ruff & co wanted to use him.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Just to warn you, I'm not a person who was high on Chiasson, probably one of his biggest critics in his time here.

What is his best tools? His Hockey sense, really don't have much more than that.

What kind of player would you compare him to ceiling wise? Again Chiasson is a tricky player. He has stone hands, a bad shot and is a very bad skater but he still has good timing and feel for the game, were to be etc. I have no idea what that compares to but I think his ceiling is a 2nd line winger and is IMO most likely end up as a 3rd line scorer.

I know some people is going to bring up his sickness and the Pevs incident but honestly he was horrible before that. But it also might have been that he as a really bad skater didn't mesh well with a fast skating team. I guess we'll see next year.

Just a fyi, Nick Paul might have been the most valuable player you got in the deal, some people really liked him on this board and hockey Canada too apparently.

Alright thanks for the input!

dechire

Jul 8, 2014
inconnu

I'm another person who wasn't a big fan of Chiasson or at least didn't see him fitting well on our team. If there's one thing I could caution you about it's to not have any expectations based on his height. He's 6'4 but he doesn't play like it. Nichushkin is the same height and every time he was on the ice you could see him and see that he was using his size. Chiasson on the other hand never looked big and just by watching him play you'd never guess that he was one of the biggest guys on the team. So if you're looking at his size and thinking you're going to get big guy who can throw hits and protect the puck you're going to be very disappointed.

I don't think he's a bad player but he wasn't a first line level player even though he got put on the PP and Benn and Seguin's line more than enough. He played some on the second line as well but also spent a lot of time on the fourth line which is definitely not the place for him. I think he's suited for a second or third line. I'm not sure what your lineup will be but I watched all 20 of Hemsky's games on the Sens so I can say that he'd be a downgrade from Hemsky and Ryan. If you don't have anyone to fill Hemsky's spot then he could work on the second line but if you have anyone else of similar or somewhat less quality you could pair with Zibanejad/Turris then I think Chiasson would be best on the third line. Of the two I can see him with Zibanejad but I wouldn't put him on Turris' line

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad