USMNT Thread Part VIII

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I generally don't gloat, but....

I took a shower at half time, and missed the first goal. Not being one to tempt fate, I have not watched a minute of the second half. So, this is probably 99% me, 1% EGG.

Only question is what do I do for the rest of the qualifying now?!
Counterpoint. I missed the first half and turned it on literally as the ball was coming in to Robinson. Clearly it was at least partially me.

I also wasn’t able to watch the first two matches…

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Jedi Robinson and Pepi need to be starters in the next window. Miles Robinson also should be, but I think thats established. Pulisic showed good fight. Aaronson has come up clutch a few times. Adams had his best game of the window.

Five points in this window is not bad. We gave up two goals, and already got the two most hostile atmospheres and worst fields out of the way.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Jedi Robinson and Pepi need to be starters in the next window. Miles Robinson also should be, but I think thats established. Pulisic showed good fight. Aaronson has come up clutch a few times. Adams had his best game of the window.

Five points in this window is not bad. We gave up two goals, and already got the two most hostile atmospheres and worst fields out of the way.

Our best team is really obviously

Pepi
Reyna-Pulisic-Aaronson
Mckennie-Adams
Robinson-Mckenzie-Robinson-Dest​

GK is a lot more debatable. I think I’d go with Turner because I like him playing every week. We have nobody else who could do what Pepi did here. His play is all over each of the four goals here.

Unrelated but I would like them to bring in Mihailovic at some point in the near future.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008

Pepi
Reyna-Pulisic-Aaronson
Mckennie-Adams

GK is a lot more debatable. I think I’d go with Turner because I like him playing every week. We have nobody else who could do what Pepi did here. His play is all over each of the four goals here.

Unrelated but I would like them to bring in Mihailovic at some point in the near future.

Not bad. Not going to lie, most disappointing player for me has been Brooks. Idk, feel he has been atleast partially responsible for both goals with bad step ups.

Really hope Richards can get up to full speed fast.

Mihailovic, though, just seems like a poor mans Aaronson. Not sure I see a play for him, especially if Museh is back in the squad as well. And possibly DLT soon? Oh and Busio starts getting regular play time, he becomes a real option. It feels odd with the US having this many options…

Last edited:

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
I’d like to see this against Jamaica:

FA94F2C9-3D2D-4507-8F05-901ED7788B75.jpeg

The nature of having such a young team is such that we still need to figure out what exactly we have. I want to see Hoppe again this time at F instead of the wing, and I’d like to see Miles and Richards together.

I don’t think Steffen will be ready. Unless Turner gets hurt, I think he’ll be keeping for another window

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Hoppe needs to play for a club team some before he can come in and play.

It’s ridiculous that an 18 year old they got to pick the US over Mexico is going to potentially save this.

How he didn’t play at all in the first two is a joke. Sure, he hasn’t been in camp much, but he’s the only one firing at striker in his league. Form is half (if not more) the battle in that position.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Hoppe needs to play for a club team some before he can come in and play.

It’s ridiculous that an 18 year old they got to pick the US over Mexico is going to potentially save this.

How he didn’t play at all in the first two is a joke. Sure, he hasn’t been in camp much, but he’s the only one firing at striker in his league. Form is half (if not more) the battle in that position.
Crazy thing is Pepi is fifth in golden boot in MLS while only having played the equivalent of 15 90 minute games.

I’m usually not the one to jump to overhyping but this kid has amazing potential. Anyone his age who would be a big part of all four goals does.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
He does have great potential. I'm not sure if all of it is down to how good he can be, or if he's really hit a hot patch. Confidence is the name of the game for a kid his age. He's going to have a struggle spot, but if he comes through it should be interesting.

But once again, the idea that he basically had to save the USMNT and drawing or losing this match, likely would have been a mountain to climb that I don't know is feasible, is ridiculous. They better be doing everything they can to keep him. Nike better find some bonus money. Or whatever.

On a different note, I feel awful for Pulisic. Dude is beat up like he's some jobber wrestler in two matches. He gets no protection in CONCACAF.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Didn’t watch live last night but skimmed this morning. In the end, it’s a huge 3 points. But I agree with mostly everyone in that I don’t have a lot of confidence in the manager.

We can argue about talent till we are blue in the face but I think the biggest issue now across 2 managers is players don’t seem to know their role/job in each formation. They’d make
Tweaks and it’s not clear to guys how that changes their part.

I know it’s probably unpopular because everyone is obsessed with this team becoming a possession monster who dominates, but I miss the days when the USNT played hard, aggressive, and organized.

lastly Adams is a beast in MF. Stop messing with it Greg

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
I think the Sargent experiment at striker has officially run its course. He is not the answer right now - that's not to say he can't become the guy one day, but he's been given long enough of a leash. This is super preliminary, but assuming full health, these are the four strikers I call in for October:

Pepi, Zardes, Hoppe, Dike

Pepi - He's our hottest striker right now. What more needs to be said after that second half last night?

Zardes - He's really a steady Eddy. He gets so much flack but our other options have not done nearly enough to displace him. His positioning and runs consistently put him in good scoring positions and I think he has solid chemistry with some of our better attacking midfield / winger options.

Hoppe - This guy was born for CONCACAF WCQ. Versatile enough to be on the wing, but I want to see him get his shot at the #9 spot. Brings an edge that can spark the team in any given moment.

Dike - He finally got back on the score sheet recently. I'm banking on him having a solid couple games before the October window. He brings an element that no other player in our pool does with his size.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
My 23 for the next window as of now:

F: Pepi, Dike, Hoppe, Prefok

M: Pulisic, Reyna, Aaronson, McKennie, Musah, Adams, Acosta, Weah

D: Dest, M. Robinson, A. Robinson, Richards, Brooks, Ream, Yedlin, McKenzie

G: Steffen, Turner, Horvath

Prefok over Zardes for me. Zardes strikes me as a Gold Cup player, not someone you want playing in the World Cup. I watch him all the time as a Crew supporter and he just doesn’t have the offensive skill set for this level

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I know it’s probably unpopular because everyone is obsessed with this team becoming a possession monster who dominates, but I miss the days when the USNT played hard, aggressive, and organized.

Yep, this is how we have to play. Even if we want to say our best 11 can play attractive soccer, out depth can't IMO and you need a deep roster for qualifying. There is nothing wrong with playing hard, defensive, and aggressive, and hitting the opponent quick on the counter.

Reactions: East Coast Bias

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Organized and working hard does not mean they can't be a possession team, utilizing their obvious gifts in midfield.

I think Reyna papers over some of the cracks they're having. They can't mug Pulisic up and down, and foul him the second he gets the ball if there's another dynamic creator. They really struggled to consistently make chances, or make the final pass. His injury was big for me.

As for Sargent, I still think he's valuable to have in the 23. He doesn't start, and should not, but at the same time.... he can easily provide a change of pace.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

Pepi
Reyna-Pulisic-Aaronson
Mckennie-Adams

I see the point of Pulisic centrally, but I think Reyna centrally works better. Pulisic will get touches at LW if our fullbacks and CM’s can successfully progress the ball, which I think that lineup allows for. I also think Brooks also helps with that because he’s by far the best CB at passing the ball. He has his limitations when isolated 1v1 in space, but all players have limitations and I thought he wasn’t as bad as some suggested in this window. The tactics didn’t help him either in the Honduras game. I would not switch him out of the lineup. I think Brooks has to be one of our best players for this team to be good.

I also agree about Mihailovic. I thought the roster construction made little sense. There was no creative alternative centrally to playing Reyna/Pulisic/Aaronson there. Players such as Roldan, Acosta, Lletget are too redundant at this level and provide mostly the same things. Mihailovic would’ve been a good sub to have for the Canada game when they had everyone behind the ball. This team struggles to produce that type of player.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
My 23 for the next window as of now:

F: Pepi, Dike, Hoppe, Prefok

M: Pulisic, Reyna, Aaronson, McKennie, Musah, Adams, Acosta, Weah

D: Dest, M. Robinson, A. Robinson, Richards, Brooks, Ream, Yedlin, McKenzie

G: Steffen, Turner, Horvath

Prefok over Zardes for me. Zardes strikes me as a Gold Cup player, not someone you want playing in the World Cup. I watch him all the time as a Crew supporter and he just doesn’t have the offensive skill set for this level

I agree with most of your team, but would suggest a few changes.

Goalies, we completely agree. Defenders, this is where I most substantially disagree. I don’t think Ream and Yedlin have any further role to play. I also think Berhalter forces the McKenzie call up too often. McKenzie is a backup with his club team. I would hope that Cannon and Palmer-Brown are fit enough to be called in. They weren’t this window. I also think Scally has to be part of the next squad. If Araujo chooses USA, he can be the 25th man for this window.

Midfielders, I see the argument for Acosta, but I think it makes more sense to include Sands. He’s younger and more versatile. We can pick extra players, so I think Konrad can be #24. He’s doing well at Marseille and could be valuable if an extra player is needed. I agree with the rest, but I would list and use Weah as a striker. He’s the only speedster we have at forward. He can also fill in at winger, but we need the option of him at striker. Forwards, I see Pefok’s role as redundant with that group of strikers. I’d include Sargent for now. I would also swap out Hoppe for Mihailovic. I don’t see Hoppe’s role yet in the full squad.

Goalies: Steffen, Turner, Horvath

Defensemen: Brooks, Richards, Palmer-Brown, Robinson, Robinson, Dest, Cannon, Scally, Araujo

Midfield: Adams, McKennie, Sands, Musah, Pulisic, Aaronson, Reyna, Konrad, Mihailovic

Forwards: Pepi, Dike, Weah, Sargent

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
May be my columbus bias, but I do think Stef is the better keeper, but I get riding with Turner as he plays each week...stupid City

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
The players I would like to the most get called in would be Musah, Hoppe, Weah, Araujo, Scally?, Richards, Green. I think everyone of these players bring something that this team desperately needs, especially Musah and Green.

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
The good
- Both Robinson were excellent
- Adams played every single minute and was his usual self
- Aaronson continues to make plays that need to be to get goals (i think he has been involved in 8 goals in 10 appearances)
- Turner really only had an opportunity to make 2 big saves and saved both of them.
- Pepi (probably most excited I have been for a striker since that brief time before injury where Charlie Davies looked like a world beater)

The bad
- Out of our top 5 players only Adams managed to make it out unscathed through all three games. No news on Dest or Pulisic yet. But Dortmund is saying Reyna is probably out until after the next international break.
- Brooks had 3 terrible plays, 2 ended in a goal
- Sands was really bad.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Reyna's out for Dortmund till October, so it's very unlikely he's available for the next window. Looks like an opportunity for Aaronson to continue to shine, and maybe get Musah some PT if healthy.

Chelsea has Pulisic out for 10 days. A bit encouraging there.

Dest suffered a minor ankle sprain and isn't expected to miss much time. Should be available for the next window.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Dest suffered a minor ankle sprain and isn't expected to miss much time. Should be available for the next window.

Dest's injury is considered minor from the last report I saw. I suspect he'll be back well before the next international window. He wasn't sent back to his club team prior to the Honduras game, which means it's not that serious of an injury.

I think Scally will be called in for the next window. Araujo if he wants to play for the USA is another option. I don't think Yedlin will return the next window.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad