Useless Thread MDCCCV: Man Of Steel (2013) Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Sounds like fans are let back into paramount fine foods.

There will be fans back if all goes according to plan. They can't afford to operate without gate receipts and they cannot take a second year off. See what October brings, there may restrictions in various areas like this one while other areas remain open.

Sep 19, 2008
Lmao IOC took out baseball and put in breakdancing and more swimming events to give "Europeans more chances to medal"

okay

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
The most dumbest thing @Zaide does is use stupid analytics nobody knows like "medal per capita" and weighted medals. No Zaide, the women's soccer gold doesn't count more than all the other golds.
Except having a larger population inherently means having more suitable athletes to compete. Also means having far greater financial support for the athletes training program, in general - when the country cares about the Olympics (i.e. India does not, China and US do).

When you take into account capital, investments and training facilities (as you yourself stated - Canada is a "winter" country, and only our athletes that can afford it can go train elsewhere, which is not everyone), Canada is performing above expectations in these games while the US and China are not performing above expectations.

I also never said that soccer medals count more on the medal table than any other gold medal, but see below.

Like if you look at the actual analytics the US and China blew the field away

China 38

USA 36

Japan 27

Russia 20

GB 20

The US leads by 9 over Japan in gold medal count. That disparity.
Which is never going to be a surprise, as they both have extremely large populations, spend astronomic amounts of money into their training program, both countries being known for their extensive and sometimes abusive programs. Money that could definitely be put to far better use, but I guess Olympics Pride has a ton of value when it comes to international pride.
He's kind of right though, this is why nobody cares about the final medals table because not all of the medals are equal, you get an obscene amount of medals for all the made-up swimming and cycling and rowing events compared to other sports for example. There's only 1 gold medal for each gender in soccer, 1 gold medal for each distance in the running, I saw on twitter someone say if there was a backwards running race like there's a backstroke in swimming we would think it was ridiculous

The US got a shitload of golds in swimming and track and of course men's basketball

But they all have the same weight

Do you mean to imply that Ledecky's 800m gold was less important than the us men basketball gold? It's all gold.

it's not like they assign one gold for multiple swimming events
The way medals are assigned by discipline is always going to be highly subjective, and highly (but not strictly) based on what the most prominent countries (north america, eastern europe, russia, china, japan, etc.) perform the best at. New disciplines are added sometimes, and others removed. But like, they added rock climbing this year, and they only gave out 2 medals (one for men, one for women), despite having the athletes compete in 3 "sub disciplines" that are as different from one another as backstroke swimming sprint, butterfly swimming and a long distance swim. Or hurdles, a marathon and the 100m. If your country is good at one of the disciplines that has a shit ton of medals handed out - or has one utterly dominant athlete in those disciplines, like Ledecky, De Grasse, etc - yeah, you're (or they're) going to have a shit ton of medals.

In the end, in the eyes of the public, yes, certain medals are 100% worth more than others. Public perception. People in Canada will take far more pride in a hockey gold medal than in a bobsleigh gold medal that one individual won. If a marathon gold medalist were to sell their medal, it would get barely nothing compared to if a 100m gold medalist were to sell theirs.

Sep 19, 2008
So we should just eliminate all the swimming and track medals and award them as one individual sport? How would that work? :huh:

The women's team mind you went through a qualifying stage, then beat Brazil, USA and Sweden. Good for them. They got gold.

But that doesn't work in swimming. They have qualifying rounds to get to the 100m or 400m but that's where the medals stop. You see? There's no swimming overall final, they just split it into distances. Before you complain, track does the same thing too. You can't really have that kind of sport structure for those type of sports so I don't see why you're so upset about Americans padding their gold medals in swimming. You know the same swimming that Penny Olysyk won gold in?

Sep 19, 2008
Except having a larger population inherently means having more suitable athletes to compete. Also means having far greater financial support for the athletes training program, in general - when the country cares about the Olympics (i.e. India does not, China and US do).

When you take into account capital, investments and training facilities (as you yourself stated - Canada is a "winter" country, and only our athletes that can afford it can go train elsewhere, which is not everyone), Canada is performing above expectations in these games while the US and China are not performing above expectations.

I also never said that soccer medals count more on the medal table than any other gold medal, but see below.
citation needed

Sep 19, 2008
In the end, in the eyes of the public, yes, certain medals are 100% worth more than others. Public perception. People in Canada will take far more pride in a hockey gold medal than in a bobsleigh gold medal that one individual won. If a marathon gold medalist were to sell their medal, it would get barely nothing compared to if a 100m gold medalist were to sell theirs.
Oh you got it all wrong this Women's soccer gold medal is the most important canadian victory of all time, more important than hockey

/opinion from random tweeter not me

Sep 19, 2008
You are complaining about funding and countries and express "hesitancy" towards countries throwing all that money towards sport when you yourself are one of the most olympic obsessed and sport obsessed people here

"but sports is not my life"

bro you come in here to talk nothing but sports

Sep 19, 2008
People need to control their f***ing dogs. So many stupid dog owners who just let their dogs do whatever they want. Discipline them.

Dog bites man

"f*** THE DOG MAN"

Yes but also f*** the owner for not training the dog

@RayP this is why I can't have a dog man. I can't take care of one so I don't get one. Too many people think dogs are cool and cute so they just end up adopting them and don't give them the training they deserve.

Then you see them attack other dogs or people in those damn no leash parks. RUFF RUFF RUFF RUFF bite RUFF RUFF

f***

Sep 19, 2008
Did Montreal reverse pit bull ban yet

imagine banning pit bulls

don't ban the dog, ban the owner

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom

Which is never going to be a surprise, as they both have extremely large populations, spend astronomic amounts of money into their training program, both countries being known for their extensive and sometimes abusive programs. Money that could definitely be put to far better use, but I guess Olympics Pride has a ton of value when it comes to international pride..

This is so true. In GB when we started to care a bit more about the Winter Olympics we targeted "easy" medals like the women's skeleton and pumped a load of funding into winning it even though we literally don't even have any facilities for it in this country. All we needed to do was take a natural athlete who wasn't quite good enough for track and field and send them to Norway or something and teach them how to do the sliding down the hill on the bit of metal.

All of that is really annoying because they give literally a whole £0 to ice hockey which could benefit thousands of people who participate at grassroots level, but we're a longshot to even qualify for the Olympics. So pump a load of money into 1 person instead to win a medal for some jingoistic chest thumping. I remember "inspire a generation" being a slogan of London 2012 but you can't inspire anyone to go and do the skeleton when the facilities don't even exist lmao

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
e3f.gif

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
So we should just eliminate all the swimming and track medals and award them as one individual sport? How would that work? :huh:

The women's team mind you went through a qualifying stage, then beat Brazil, USA and Sweden. Good for them. They got gold.

But that doesn't work in swimming. They have qualifying rounds to get to the 100m or 400m but that's where the medals stop. You see? There's no swimming overall final, they just split it into distances. Before you complain, track does the same thing too. You can't really have that kind of sport structure for those type of sports so I don't see why you're so upset about Americans padding their gold medals in swimming. You know the same swimming that Penny Olysyk won gold in?
As @peener said, that is not at all what I am saying. You're "kayfabing" and implying wrongful conclusions.

It "doesn't work" because that's how the disciplines have been for years, but for some reason, it works with newer disciplines (climbing, skate, etc.). The way disciplines are separated into different sub disciplines is, and has been across history, entirely subjective. I'm not saying you train the same way to run a 100m than you do running a 400m or a marathon, by the way. But it's the same way with, say, climbing, where you don't train the same way for speed climbing as you do with endurance climbing.

Reality is that if you invest disproportionately (in relation to the % of medals a discipline provides over all possible medals) into disciplines with a higher medals count, you'll earn more medals.
citation needed
https://www.researchgate.net/public...tion_Size_and_the_Weight_of_Sportive_Practice
https://mba.tuck.dartmouth.edu/pages/faculty/andrew.bernard/olymp60restat_finaljournalversion.pdf
Medal-Count Economics: What Factors Explain the Olympics' Biggest Winners?
And I'm sure you can find many more with a quick search.
You are complaining about funding and countries and express "hesitancy" towards countries throwing all that money towards sport when you yourself are one of the most olympic obsessed and sport obsessed people here

"but sports is not my life"

bro you come in here to talk nothing but sports
You have a weird definition of "complaining" when what I did was basically just explaining and using common sense. You have more posts about the summer Olympics in this thread than I have made since joining HF.

Sep 19, 2008
of course people from countries with less medals will claim US is "medal padding" and cheating by having nearly 30 medals more than everyone else :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad