Usain Bolt vs. Michael Phelps

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Bolt - and it's not really close.

Come on - he won the most important races by jogging and smiling and barely even trying lol.

To draw a hockey parallel:

Phelps is the equivalent of a hockey player coming in and winning 5-6 art ross in a row with some harts, etc...Maybe losing one here and there in his prime, but winning most, and being hailed as one of the greatest ever.

Bolt? Bolt is Gretzky. It's not about winning the Ross, it's about winning it with a 100+ points margin of victory. It's also better than Gretzky as Bolt would win the Art Ross without even trying - he'd take the last 30 games of the season off to go vacation in Hawaii - secure that his team is already up 50-0 in the standings and that he has 250 individual points in the bank lol. Maybe i'm exaggerating a little bit, but not by that much.

He jogged to all of his world records. It's crazy.

No question to me Bolt dominated his sport more. What Phelps accomplished is maybe more difficult - saying you're going to win 8 Gold Medals out of 8 events and doing it with 0 room for error - and sometimes with minor breaks in between races is incredible. Absolutely fantastic for Phelps.

But he didn't dominate the field to the extent Bolt did.

NMF78

Feb 25, 2010
Belgium
Bolt - and it's not really close.

Come on - he won the most important races by jogging and smiling and barely even trying lol.

To draw a hockey parallel:

Phelps is the equivalent of a hockey player coming in and winning 5-6 art ross in a row with some harts, etc...Maybe losing one here and there in his prime, but winning most, and being hailed as one of the greatest ever.

Bolt? Bolt is Gretzky. It's not about winning the Ross, it's about winning it with a 100+ points margin of victory. It's also better than Gretzky as Bolt would win the Art Ross without even trying - he'd take the last 30 games of the season off to go vacation in Hawaii - secure that his team is already up 50-0 in the standings and that he has 250 individual points in the bank lol. Maybe i'm exaggerating a little bit, but not by that much.

He jogged to all of his world records. It's crazy.

No question to me Bolt dominated his sport more. What Phelps accomplished is maybe more difficult - saying you're going to win 8 Gold Medals out of 8 events and doing it with 0 room for error - and sometimes with minor breaks in between races is incredible. Absolutely fantastic for Phelps.

But he didn't dominate the field to the extent Bolt did.

What a lousy and dumb comparison, you do realise Phelps won his first world championship in 2001, so thats 15 years compared to 8. Plus the vast majority of his wins have been dominant, remember 2008, 7 of his 8 gold with a world record often with a big lead on the next closest competitor.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
You make it sound like Bolt didn't have the same advantage in sprinting by virtue of being Jamaican. Its such a ludicrous argument.

I guess you failed the read the part where I very clearly stated Bolt had two of the best ever, Blake and Powell, helping him win relay Golds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad