WC: USA vs Canada Semifinals Showdown

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I am proud of the Canadians who went over there to play. With Covid and a long NHL season, again, they're better Canadians than me.

It's nice to see Canada getting back on the right track after a half dozen years of meh drafts. We have some HIGH quality kids coming - and that's wonderful to see.

Anyway, thank you to Team Canada. Well done. Hope you win Gold!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
It's a weak team because they barely qualified to even play for the medals.
They are in the finals... do the finals usually have the 2 weakest teams?

The first 3 games were a shitshow.. thatś when you want to have lousy games. Whatś it been like since then? 10 game tournament and youŕe focused on the first 3 games. Itś the next 7 that matter and Canada hasn lost in regulation in 6 of them. The 7th is tomorrow for Gold.

Just took out a very good Russian team and a very good US team (who beat you in those early 3 games.. which win do you want? The round robin one or the Semi one?).

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I am proud of the Canadians who went over there to play. With Covid and a long NHL season, again, they're better Canadians than me.

It's nice to see Canada getting back on the right track after a half dozen years of meh drafts. We have some HIGH quality kids coming - and that's wonderful to see.

Anyway, thank you to Team Canada. Well done. Hope you win Gold!
Id say Canada has never looked better.

5 of the last 6 Worldś theye been in the final
won the last 3 best on bests
MacKinnon, Crosby and McDavid.
Fav for Gold in Beijing at next best on best
Price is playing like Price
and I forgot their names but those 2 kids at the U18 last month were ridiculously good!!!! (so was Michkov).

Jul 6, 2016

and I forgot their names but those 2 kids at the U18 last month were ridiculously good!!!! (so was Michkov).

Bedard and Wright

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
This year, MVP doesn't go to a player.

It goes to whoever had the genius idea to invite a player who was still playing NHL regular season games when the tournament started.

Reactions: Faterson

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

I agree.

Canada has been in a lull - talent wise. It's been about a half dozen years and it was inevitable - after all the talent we produced from 2004 until 2013.

Have we produced some top players in recent years? Of course, but not as many as usual. Again, a lull.

Fortunately...

* The 2019 Draft looks very promising for Canada.
* We dominated the first round of the 2020 draft.
* Looks like we may dominate the first round of the 2021 draft.

Then we have Power, Wright, Savoie and Bedard on the horizon - all with sky high potential, plus some other terrific high end talent, so we seem to be on the upswing again.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Don't worry about that post. That poster loves to praise US Hockey and runs down Canadian Hockey. Same thing for 20 years now.
I do not run down Canadian hockey. In fact, as a senior sport administrator in Canada, one of my tasks is to grow the sport at the grass root levels and help build teams that play at the elite level. When I first started following the game in the 1950s, it truly was a 'Canadian' sport. Now it is a global game where many competing nations are producing elite level players. And you have to have your head in the ground not to see the incredible progress the U.S. hockey program has achieved. They are now producing almost as many McDavids and MacKinnons type/level players as Canada is. That progression will only continue. To assume that Canadian players have some type of monopoly on passion and the will to win is nonsense. As the demographics in Canada change, the number of boys playing hockey is declining. Cheaper to play and safer sports are undermining the feeder system as an ever increasing number of young athletes are pursuing other sport pathways. So you can live in your dream world, while the people in the know try to reverse the decline.

Reactions: NyQuil

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I do not run down Canadian hockey. In fact, as a senior sport administrator in Canada, one of my tasks is to grow the sport at the grass root levels and help build teams that play at the elite level. When I first started following the game in the 1950s, it truly was a 'Canadian' sport. Now it is a global game where many competing nations are producing elite level players. And you have to have your head in the ground not to see the incredible progress the U.S. hockey program has achieved. They are now producing almost as many McDavids and MacKinnons type/level players as Canada is. That progression will only continue. To assume that Canadian players have some type of monopoly on passion and the will to win is nonsense. As the demographics in Canada change, the number of boys playing hockey is declining. Cheaper to play and safer sports are undermining the feeder system as an ever increasing number of young athletes are pursuing other sport pathways. So you can live in your dream world, while the people in the know try to reverse the decline.
You spew the same stuff year after year after year.

Can you give it a rest, please?

Great99

Apr 12, 2016
Canada has never not made it to the QF if I recall hearing that correctly a few days ago since the playoff format was implemented.

That 2015 Team Canada was damn near a best on best caliber team. Slightly below, but that roster was stacked and they played so well as a team. That was an awesome tournament in the Czech Republic that year, I always like when the Czech’s host they do a great job.

The 2015 Team Canada team was probably the best team in the history of the WHC for any country. Maybe some of the Soviet juggernaut teams come close.

2016 team was also good

Reactions: snipes

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I put this tournament on the back burner. Did Canada get relegated yet?
Me, too.

I use to watch the W.C. but I lost interest. Too long. Same old, same old.

When we started off 0 - 3, I actually got a kick out of it. Then, to see this team play this well, good for them.

I am jumping on the band wagon. My guess : A lot of people are.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I think he has a decent shot at Canadas olympic team. He has a nose for the puck and I think he would be an excellent third line player. I hope we get a chance to see.
Well considering the depth of talent he will be up against it won't be easy is all i'll say.

He's certainly been a world beater for us here though, that's all the counts to me right now.

Jetland162702

Pup-peroni Junkie
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
Well considering the depth of talent he will be up against it won't be easy is all i'll say.

He's certainly been a world beater for us here though, that's all the counts to me right now.
It goes without saying that making Canada's olympic team will be difficult for him and a lot of other players. I hope he has a big game tomorrow to further his cause.

Reactions: jj cale

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
That's why Canada's No. 1 in the world at hockey. They're always contenders, no matter what lineup. And they bring results to the table.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I agree.

Canada has been in a lull - talent wise. It's been about a half dozen years and it was inevitable - after all the talent we produced from 2004 until 2013.

Have we produced some top players in recent years? Of course, but not as many as usual. Again, a lull.

Fortunately...

* The 2019 Draft looks very promising for Canada.
* We dominated the first round of the 2020 draft.
* Looks like we may dominate the first round of the 2021 draft.

Then we have Power, Wright, Savoie and Bedard on the horizon - all with sky high potential, plus some other terrific high end talent, so we seem to be on the upswing again.
Also... Makar! He looks better everytime I see him. He might get himself into the Hedman rarified air talk by the Olympics.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad