USA U-20 Evaluation Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pipeandin

Dec 7, 2004
Im going to go out on a limb and call it that both 88s will make the team, I could see Okoposo making this team if he has a good start to the year. :jump:

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
i dont think its impossible, but they have alot of talent at the 86 and 87 level that was already at camp, and they have been scouting longer. its going to be tough enough for mueller and johnson to make it, and they are better players right now.

pucks1

Apr 23, 2004
FREE DENTAL CARE said:
Robbie Schremp is very talented with the puck, but a poor skater. After watching him, I was dissappointed that all his time with the puck didn't lead to more production -- for him or for his linemates. He's a bit like Chinese food. You see so much stickhandling when he has the puck, but not much happens and you're left wanting more. I kept trying to think of how I would use him if I was the coach. He didn't seem to fit with any of the players he skated with. In some ways (e.g., stickhandling) he was the best player in the camp, but in others, including his lack of maturity (throwing sticks, etc.) he didn't seem to fit at all.

I agree Schremp is very fun to watch with the puck, but he does need to work on his finishing skills. As for skating, i dont belive he is a poor skater at all, he just dosn't have the top end speed. I remeber a couple of years back he showed up for camp out of shape. How did he look shape wize? could this be why hes sluggish? As for the stick throwing, banging.. thats fine with me. It shows that he cares,and that hes hard on himself to succeed, Crosby does the same thing(like in the mem cup). Its just a way that alot of players vent.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
pucks1 said:
FREE DENTAL CARE said:
Robbie Schremp is very talented with the puck, but a poor skater. After watching him, I was dissappointed that all his time with the puck didn't lead to more production -- for him or for his linemates. He's a bit like Chinese food. You see so much stickhandling when he has the puck, but not much happens and you're left wanting more. I kept trying to think of how I would use him if I was the coach. He didn't seem to fit with any of the players he skated with. In some ways (e.g., stickhandling) he was the best player in the camp, but in others, including his lack of maturity (throwing sticks, etc.) he didn't seem to fit at all.

I agree Schremp is very fun to watch with the puck, but he does need to work on his finishing skills. As for skating, i dont belive he is a poor skater at all, he just dosn't have the top end speed. I remeber a couple of years back he showed up for camp out of shape. How did he look shape wize? could this be why hes sluggish? As for the stick throwing, banging.. thats fine with me. It shows that he cares,and that hes hard on himself to succeed, Crosby does the same thing(like in the mem cup). Its just a way that alot of players vent.

From what I understand Schremp was suffering from a bit of a groin injury at the camp, which is certainly going to impair your skating ability. Personally, I think Schremp's skating is fine. He's never going to be a top end burner, but has great quickness and elusiveness, which is more valuable IMO. I think his awkward style (wide legged and what not) also turns some people off, although it doesn't really matter in the big scheme of things. Schremp is out there to do one thing: create offense. He's been able to do that at every level he's played, and he'll do in the NHL.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
orangeandblack said:
i dont think its impossible, but they have alot of talent at the 86 and 87 level that was already at camp, and they have been scouting longer. its going to be tough enough for mueller and johnson to make it, and they are better players right now.

I think Mueller has a great shot to make the team, especially if he goes gangbusters with Everett. Johnson also has a chance, although I doubt it, not only because the U.S. has considerable depth on the blueline, but also because of last year's miscalculation with Brian Lee. Okposo has NO shot.

Tico

Oct 22, 2003
Visit site
Not knowing any better, can anyone comment on why Ryan Stoa didn't make the squad? Who would be taking his spot, and is it a no-brainer that the replacement skater is better?

Thanks in advance

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Tico said:
Not knowing any better, can anyone comment on why Ryan Stoa didn't make the squad? Who would be taking his spot, and is it a no-brainer that the replacement skater is better?

Thanks in advance

There isn't a squad yet, as he could technically still make it, he just wasn't invited to the evaluation camp.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Tico said:

Thanks in advance

His absence is a big mystery to me. It could revolve around attitude problems. The talent is certainly there.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
Okposo has NO shot.

Thanks for covering that. I couldn't believe it when I read it. Also, I think Mueller will make this team but not E. Johnson. In regards to Stoa, I've seen him play a few times and while he is a great skater with loads of skill, I never once saw him pay the price to make a play. I always walked away thinking he was a "soft" player and in a tournament like this you can't afford to take soft players. However, just because he didn't get invited to the camp doesn't mean he won't be considered. The player I was surprised about was Matt Auffrey. I really hope the U.S. brass takes a close look at this kid.

FREE DENTAL CARE

Mar 20, 2004
What happened to Auffrey? He was injured at Wisconsin (broken wrist) early in their season, but played well after his return. He was a NTDP "graduate" as well. I expected him to be invited to the camp. Anybody know the "skinny" here?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
FREE DENTAL CARE said:
What happened to Auffrey? He was injured at Wisconsin (broken wrist) early in their season, but played well after his return. He was a NTDP "graduate" as well. I expected him to be invited to the camp. Anybody know the "skinny" here?

Numbers game I guess. The U.S. is fortunate to have a growing pool of players to choose from, and I guess Auffrey was off the radar. It doesn't help that he plays a style that several others do more effectively.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
yea ryan, skille, pineault, lavallee, weller, etc are all bigger guys that would make the team over auffrey.

frazee and schneider will be the goalies barring injuries.

Randall Graves*

how does this team rank against teams over the last 5-10 yrs?

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
from what i heard he was one of the best defensemen at camp, and showed real nice offensive upside. rabid ranger is right. there is tons of talent on this team. gone are the days of the late 90s, early 00s when 3rd line college players made up the team. the 87-89 age groups may have the most talent compacted together in the history of usa hockey. the 84s and 85s are very solid, its a slight downgrade to the 86s, then the 87-89 age group is loaded. there are so many talented 87 forwards, while the defensive prospects at the 88 and 89 age level is extraordinary. the best defensive prospects in the world for their age; erik johnson 88, nick petrecki 89, will be suiting up for us in the very near future. i know the ntdp gets criticized, but it has done a nice job, and in my opinion sets the bar higher (major junior, ushl) for kids that arent selected or chose not to report.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad