Rumor: USA Today - Penguins Very Very interested in Dan Hamhuis

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrinceOfPucks

Jan 4, 2016
Kevin Allen of the USA Today just came on a Vancouver morning sports radio show and said that Dan Hamhuis will attract a ton of interests at the trade deadline and a team he keeps hearing that has the most and major interest is the Pittsburgh Penguins. He said the Penguins are looking much better but still need an anchor on defence and that they are heavily in it for Hamhuis.

Hamhuis is a UFA Dman, Can play on any Top 4 spot , PK1 and PP2.

Even w. A down year this guys is still a top notch 2 way Dman who is a smooth skating, high IQ , puck moving Dman.

I'm interested to see what the Pens can offer to set them above from the other offers. I hope you guys get Hammer, win the cup, then Dan can 're sign w. The Canucks in the summer and mentor and anchor our Dcore for the last 5 yrs of his career.

Other "assets" available that can be packaged w. Hamhuis.

Vrbata
Burrows
Higgins
Prust
Vey
Cracknell
Dorsett
Bartkowski
Yannick Weber

Prospects :

Gaunce
Grenier
Cassels

If you guys recall the then rights of UFA Dan Hamhuis was traded to Pittsburgh in 2010 but they couldn't come to terms since Hamhuis only wanted to sign w. Hometown team. It's clear Pens covet this guy.

Thanks guys and good luck on your playoff push and hopeful playoff run.

Last edited:

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
No, NO, NO rentals. You don't win with rentals . This is hockey history 101.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
A few of us were thinks Hamhuis back in the summer as someone who would be a good fit. As mentioned, we don't have much but Hamhuis has a ntc of some sorts and a history of winning with Sid on Team Canada, so I have to think we would be high on his list of possible teams.

PrinceOfPucks

Jan 4, 2016
We have nothing to offer you.

Thanks for your contribution to the conversation but I'm More interested to hear from the fans who want another Dman on the team. It's clear your management is interested.

I don't think the Pens want another prime year of Malkin and Crosby wasted so I can definitely see them being big players on the deadline.

Pensin7

Jun 20, 2009
For Hamhuis, I bet Benning would jump for joy at JR's offer of Kunitz, Cole and a $50 Sport Chek gift card.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Thanks for your contribution to the conversation but I'm More interested to hear from the fans who want another Dman on the team. It's clear your management is interested.

I don't think the Pens want another prime year of Malkin and Crosby wasted so I can definitely see them being big players on the deadline.

I wasn't trying to be rude. We honestly have nothing to offer you that will be all that enticing. JR is unlikely to move a 1st and it would have to be conditional anyway since we owe this year's 1st to Toronto if we make the playoffs. We have a ton of low upside mediocre prospects and 2 higher end ones (Pouliot and Sprong) that we aren't giving up for a rental. Unless you want Kunitz, Bones, or a hobbled Bennett, we have nothing but 2nd-7th round picks and fringe bottom 6 prospects.

PrinceOfPucks

Jan 4, 2016
He definitely has a great relationship w. Sid from Olympics and World Championships. I wouldnt be surprised if it was Sid that wanted him in Pitt in 2010.

PrinceOfPucks

Jan 4, 2016
I wasn't trying to be rude. We honestly have nothing to offer you that will be all that enticing. JR is unlikely to move a 1st and it would have to be conditional anyway since we owe this year's 1st to Toronto if we make the playoffs. We have a ton of low upside mediocre prospects and 2 higher end ones (Pouliot and Sprong) that we aren't giving up for a rental. Unless you want Kunitz, Bones, or a hobbled Bennett, we have nothing but 2nd-7th round picks and fringe bottom 6 prospects.

No worries I didn't take it as rude, I just wanted to get a feel of Pens assets since the media is reporting that they are heavily In on a player.

As great as Hamhuis is I don't think he will fetch Dustin Byfuglien kind of return.

Comparable would be Sekera last year at trade deadline and Hamhuis is 10x better than Sekera who was also an upcoming UFA. LA gave up 1st rnd pick and Roland Macewon.

Pouliot
2017 1st rnd pick

Should get it done for Hamhuis.

Not sure if you would like the price tho but if a bidding war for Hamhuis happens then all likelihood that will be the cost.

Dmen are always the most coveted at trade deadline.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
By all accounts, Hamhuis wants to stay out west. Unless that has changed, I hope there's nothing to this. We have little in the way of assets to move. If we're make a trade, it needs to be for more than a rental. Unless they want Lovejoy.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
No worries I didn't take it as rude, I just wanted to get a feel of Pens assets since the media is reporting that they are heavily In on a player.

As great as Hamhuis is I don't think he will fetch Dustin Byfuglien kind of return.

Comparable would be Sekera last year at trade deadline and Hamhuis is 10x better than Sekera who was also an upcoming UFA. LA gave up 1st rnd pick and Roland Macewon.

Pouliot
2017 1st rnd pick

Should get it done for Hamhuis.

Not sure if you would like the price tho but if a bidding war for Hamhuis happens then all likelihood that will be the cost.

Dmen are always the most coveted at trade deadline.

Nah that's a terrible price and no way do the Pens pay it. I get why you would ask for it, but when a team has 2 prospects in their system that project to be impact players, they can't trade one for a rental AND add a 1st round pick (especially when they traded their 2015 and 2016 1sts).

In terms of value, the best we could realistically offer is Sundqvist and a 2nd (and I don't even want to do that). Hamhuis is a nice player and would really help solidify the D for a run, but we have other needs (top 6 LW) that prevent us from being a serious contender anyway.

So in conclusion, we have nothing to offer you.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
We already traded for the rights to Hamhuis in 2011 and he told us he wasn't interested in signing here. Why should we trade for them a second time? Furthermore, we have nothing the Canucks want.

This rumor makes little to no sense for anyone, unless it's a sign-and-trade on Vancouver's part (read: not going to happen).

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
So you want our top prospect AND a 1st for a guy who likely has no interest in re-signing here.

Seems like a smart move on our part.

PrinceOfPucks

Jan 4, 2016
By all accounts, Hamhuis wants to stay out west. Unless that has changed, I hope there's nothing to this. We have little in the way of assets to move. If we're make a trade, it needs to be for more than a rental. Unless they want Lovejoy.

He will waive for a cup contending team but will.most likely return west after the playoffs

PrinceOfPucks

Jan 4, 2016
The other team that is supposedly highly interested Is Washington given their Nashvillle And Trotz connection and Washington's push for a top Dman.

Apparently they want Byfuglien more but if the price is top high they will settle on Hamhuis.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
He will waive for a cup contending team but will.most likely return west after the playoffs

Then it's of even less value to us.

If the Canucks wanted to take Kunitz, Lovejoy and a long shot prospect, that'd be fine. MAYBE.

But Hamhuis is simply not worth a rental or an investment for us.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Then it's of even less value to us.

If the Canucks wanted to take Kunitz, Lovejoy and a long shot prospect, that'd be fine. MAYBE.

But Hamhuis is simply not worth a rental or an investment for us.

Exactly the type deal I was going to post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad