GDT: USA-Norway, Dec 26, 2023

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
Lane Hutson has spent his entire development in the US. His Dad played in the the US for the last 10 years of his career.

If he becomes the second coming of Quinn Hughes as MTL fans claim (LOL) guess they better thank the good ol' US of A.

John Scott is of Ukrainian descent?!
Please explain the LOL in Caps about Hutson, curious

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Canada v Finland replay is on ESPN+ but USA v Norway is not? Bollocks! This is trash.
Just guessing ...

ESPN+ doesn't the American broadcast rights for USA games. You'd need a cable subscription+sports package to get NHLN's awful coverage with Hradek and Starman.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Brindley, Gauthier, Perrault, McGroarty, Hutson...why are you so resistant to me pointing out that the majority of your top players only play for the US due to the incredible structural advantage you enjoy?
I really don't understand your obsession with this.

For many years Canadian pro players have played stateside, married American women, and decided to settle in the USA. Their kids usually play hockey, naturally enough, and some of them become quite successful. Do you resent those players, fellow Canadians by birth, for any of that?

Regardless, those kids were born here, and were developed exclusively in the US, with American teammates, coaches, and opponents, under the auspices of USA Hockey. Their ties to Canadian hockey are either tenuous or non-existent, apart from lineage.

All WJC players are Americans, with no allegiance to Canada. You complaining about it is futile.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I really don't understand your obsession with this.

For many years Canadian pro players have played stateside, married American women, and decided to settle in the USA. Their kids usually play hockey, naturally enough, and some of them become quite successful. Do you resent those players, fellow Canadians by birth, for any of that?

Regardless, those kids were born here, and were developed exclusively in the US, with American teammates, coaches, and opponents, under the auspices of USA Hockey. Their ties to Canadian hockey are either tenuous or non-existent, apart from lineage.

All WJC players are Americans, with no allegiance to Canada. You complaining about it is futile.
There is no individualized resentment. I am, have, and will continue to merely point out that there is nothing exceptional or praise worthy about the US taking advantage of enormous monetary investment by the NHL and riding on the backs of the progeny of other countries’ players who settle in America and subsequently afford them extraordinary opportunities to excel at hockey themselves. I type this with truly no hatred for the US, mind you, which as a Canadian I see as our first cousin - merely derision for those who pretend otherwise.

If there is resentment, it is on behalf of the families of many children in Canada (and other countries) who find it financially infeasible to put their kids into ice hockey and are not provided the assistance and opportunities to do so that are shovelled into American cities by the NHL and kind-hearted players (i.e., Logan Cooley would very likely have never entered the sport if not for Crosby’s youth program in Pittsburgh).

If my regular reminders of these facts are aggravating to you or any other, I suggest you protect your happiness by utilizing the ignore feature. My other contributions to these forums are not of any such quality that you would be losing out on anything.

Good day, and I hope our teams meet in the GMG.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Jesus. I find the hockey / geography stuff amusing and I’d be pissy if I was Canada.

But….Yah…no big deal. Just questioning the morals of your nation and everybody who benefits from it. Canada is immune from all of that. We aren’t like you douchebags to the south.

Enjoy your high horse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad