USA Hockey has ruined Youth Hockey with their New Rules for the 21-22 Season

CrazyMonkey1208

Apr 9, 2012
What I'd like to know is why so many Americans refer to a player being offsides? Why do you plural offside?

On everything else I agree with you.

The line has 2 sides, on and off, so it's plural:nod:

Just wait until they start making players wear pronouns on their jerseys.."he/him/his Crosby passes to he/him/his Malkin.."

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
There are two sides of the blue line so I guess it sounds weird to say “offside”.

My wife is Canadian and got annoyed when I said “offsides”, so that’s how I explained it to her - but she just looked at me like I was a moron…

So I made fun of Zed and she left me alone.

If I draw a line down the middle of a piece of paper would you say the left sides and right sides, or left side and right side?

Reactions: Steve91 and 4thline

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
If I draw a line down the middle of a piece of paper would you say the left sides and right sides, or left side and right side?

We grew up hearing ‘offsides’ - trying to figure out why we say it beyond that is a fool’s errand.

It’s like me questioning Canadians why so many give their weight in lbs and height in feet and inches?

I find that peculiar.

However, it comes down to familiarity and what your mind knows.

Doesn’t have to make sense to the rest of the world.

I severely doubt many Canadians would start using kilos to give their weight because I find that behavior odd.

Last edited:

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
All right you lunatics.

USA Hockey calls it "offside." See Rule 612(b) Note 4 on page 68, for example.
https://cdn1.sportngin.com/attachme...822.480173566.1632761916-332786222.1632761911
Hockey Canada calls it "offside.' (Actually "off-side" but I digress). See Situation 9 on Page 122, for example
https://cdn.hockeycanada.ca/hockey-...Officiating/Downloads/rulebook_casebook_e.pdf
IIHF calls it "offside" (Again, "off-side", and again, I digress). See Page 155.
https://kentico.iihf.com/IIHFMvc/media/Downloads/Rule Book/2021_22_IIHF_RuleBook.pdf

So all you "offsides" people are offside. Get onside.

Reactions: Steve91

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
All right you lunatics.

USA Hockey calls it "offside." See Rule 612(b) Note 4 on page 68, for example.
https://cdn1.sportngin.com/attachme...822.480173566.1632761916-332786222.1632761911
Hockey Canada calls it "offside.' (Actually "off-side" but I digress). See Situation 9 on Page 122, for example
https://cdn.hockeycanada.ca/hockey-...Officiating/Downloads/rulebook_casebook_e.pdf
IIHF calls it "offside" (Again, "off-side", and again, I digress). See Page 155.
https://kentico.iihf.com/IIHFMvc/media/Downloads/Rule Book/2021_22_IIHF_RuleBook.pdf

So all you "offsides" people are offside. Get onside.

People aren’t going to care anymore than any Canadians will care to give their weight and height in metric form.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
People aren’t going to care anymore than any Canadians will care to give their weight and height in metric form.
Meh. That's a generational change thing. Kids use what they hear from their parents, at school or in the media, and they're gradually being more immersed in metric. The kid (21) has no idea how far 60 miles is, but she knows what 100 km is; the parental units (us) use miles and kilometres interchangably. It might take another generation to have metric units fully in the collective consciousness, but it will happen eventually.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Meh. That's a generational change thing. Kids use what they hear from their parents, at school or in the media, and they're gradually being more immersed in metric. The kid (21) has no idea how far 60 miles is, but she knows what 100 km is; the parental units (us) use miles and kilometres interchangably. It might take another generation to have metric units fully in the collective consciousness, but it will happen eventually.

Well that’s my point with offside/offsides. My wife got me to use offside, but I did it to make her happy… Ie I was motivated to change how I said it.

Most Americans won’t be motivated to change how they have said a word all their lives, just because someone from another country thinks it sounds stupid.

On the flip side, not a single Canadian reading my posts will suddenly have any motivation to change how they say weight/height.

I could keep saying how bizarre it was to me when I lived in Canada for seven years, but I can’t imagine a single Canadian poster caring how it sounds to me.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Well that’s my point with offside/offsides. My wife got me to use offside, but I did it to make her happy… Ie I was motivated to change how I said it.

Most Americans won’t be motivated to change how they have said a word all their lives, just because someone from another country thinks it sounds stupid.

On the flip side, not a single Canadian reading my posts will suddenly have any motivation to change how they say weight/height.

I could keep saying how bizarre it was to me when I lived in Canada for seven years, but I can’t imagine a single Canadian poster caring how it sounds to me.
A) You say whatever you want to say. Makes no never mind to me.
B) I'm not saying this because I'm Canadian, but because that is what it definitively is.
C) People misuse words all the time for the reason that they have always done so. The one that gets misused in my presence a lot is "fulsome" which is not a synonym for "full" but rather a word best used to describe an almost sarcastic exaggeration. My preference is for people to use words correctly, but at the end of the day, I go back to 1) above.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
A) You say whatever you want to say. Makes no never mind to me.
B) I'm not saying this because I'm Canadian, but because that is what it definitively is.
C) People misuse words all the time for the reason that they have always done so. The one that gets misused in my presence a lot is "fulsome" which is not a synonym for "full" but rather a word best used to describe an almost sarcastic exaggeration. My preference is for people to use words correctly, but at the end of the day, I go back to 1) above.

I doubt people care if they are using it wrong that’s my entire point.

The English language is abused all the time and people say what feels comfortable to them.

People misuse words all the time that drive me nuts, but I know they will just get pissed if I correct them so why bother.

I only ever tried to explain why I think Americans say it, not that it’s really right.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
You get the logic behind 1, 2 and 5 even if you don't agree with them, safety.

I just don't get the reasons for #3 and #4. I don't like instilling rules in young kids they'll have to unlearn later on.

And offsides isn't a word.

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
The difference between the weight/height thing and saying "offsides" is that the weight/height is correct whether you use imperial or metric, whereas saying "offsides" is incorrect according to all the different rulebooks. But for me it's all good. I mean, in Quebec some of us frenglish say "goaler" instead of "goalie". I think it comes from the francisation/quebecisation "goaleur" or "goaleux" but that's a whole other story. LOL

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
You get the logic behind 1, 2 and 5 even if you don't agree with them, safety.

I just don't get the reasons for #3 and #4. I don't like instilling rules in young kids they'll have to unlearn later on.

And offsides isn't a word.

Kind of like not worrying about hitting until the kids are big and strong at higher levels and then having no idea how to hit/take a hit because USA has all but taken away actual hitting...then getting hurt when they are playing true contact hockey where kids can take the body and lay some big hits on the puck carrier? At that level the older kids will be getting ROCKED at center ice, great thinking by USA hockey.

Reactions: TKB

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
Love to hear how other USA Hockey referees, coaches, parents, and players are adjusting to the new rules if their seasons have started..

I referee. It is tough.

At this point I might just emphasize lining. I find I like it just as much as you are actually more involved in the games than the referees in a 4 man, I don't have to deal with all the BS, and am more likely to get assigned the "big games."

#JFL

rh71

Nov 12, 2005
Long Island, NY
As a parent with kids in first year bantams, these are my thoughts:
- I was initially reserved about how hitting will affect the kids, but everyone is learning at the same time and it's been without injury so far, even the big blow-up hits...
- That said, it's extremely inconsistent the first 10-15 games of the season so far as to what's a penalty and what's not. Referees are also seldomly telling kids what's allowed and what's not. I didn't even know the updated rules until I read this thread (thanks).
- I am 100% ok with having to play the puck at the same time as a hit, but again, it's not consistently called when they don't play the puck and hit.
- I am definitely not ok with not being eligible for a hit as soon as you get rid of the puck. On paper, you could then use a fake pass/shot to derail a good incoming hit, plus kids are less likely to make an otherwise-effective hit. You still want the 1-second grace-time. Poor rule.
- Only certain parts of the country have good HS hockey. Not sure you want to use that as the metric for hitting or knowing how to hit / take a hit. It's just a warzone with kids who want to throw hits for fun, at least around here. Travel is where it's at for quality hockey. Hitting is only part of the game, and from what I've seen, doesn't make or break plays as much as many would like to portray. Bottom line, calls need to be consistent, and the kids will learn. There's the added benefit of HS hockey not being a free-for-all because their friends are watching. Sports are not supposed to be about injury, and we have entirely too many stories of that in HS hockey.

Last edited:
Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

rh71

Nov 12, 2005
Long Island, NY
I referee. It is tough.

At this point I might just emphasize lining. I find I like it just as much as you are actually more involved in the games than the referees in a 4 man, I don't have to deal with all the BS, and am more likely to get assigned the "big games."

#JFL

Why not explain the new rules to the kids while they huddle before the first puck drop? Then we won't have 6 "roughing" penalties a game on top of everything else... At a minimum, they'll know you'll call it tight and maybe we can avoid the 15 extra stoppages.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Why not explain the new rules to the kids while they huddle before the first puck drop? Then we won't have 6 "roughing" penalties a game on top of everything else... At a minimum, they'll know you'll call it tight and maybe we can avoid the 15 extra stoppages.
Sounds like a great thing for a coach to do before puck drop. Or at the first practice. People expect referees to be coaches, but their job is to be, well, referees.

Reactions: LarryO

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
That’s the job of the coaches, who are suppose to, coach them.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
What I'd like to know is why so many Americans refer to a player being offsides? Why do you plural offside?

Interestingly enough, the history of the term comes from soccer, where in the early days, forward passes were illegal (same in early hockey as well), and it was also illegal to be ahead of the player with the ball. A player in an illegal position was said to be "off his side" which eventually got shortened to "offside."

As for pluralizing it, I don't. I don't get it either.

Reactions: Steve91

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
3) Tag-up offsides have been ELIMINATED in all youth levels. Everything is automatic offsides. Great way to slow the game down tremendously and cause all sorts of sloppy play in the neutral zone as players are trying to get wait for their team to get back onsides.

4) Icing the puck during a PK has now been ELIMINATED in all youth levels. Yea, slow the game down even more. Lots of whistles.

I'll refrain from commenting on the checking rules. But specifically for these two rules. I understand the PK icing for the really young kids who still are starting out and are slower up and down the ice. But after working some tournaments for 14U, 15U, 16U and 18U. Having icing on the PK for those levels is terrible, and adds so many whistles where there doesn't need to be any. Those levels are generally all good skaters enough to get down the ice to grab the puck and reset a PP.

As for the offside, that's fine for the most part, but I would scrap it again for the oldest levels like 16 and up and go back to delayed offside

Leksand

Oct 30, 2013
Northern VA
I would say delayed offside for bantam and older. It sometime creates confusion but they learn and the hard office is just really disruptive.

Reactions: ilyazhito

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON

Same as people that say the work at Fords or Chryslers......

Surprised on what USA Hockey is doing in regard to this, may end up hurting in the long term?
I remember a number of years ago I played in a tournament in Ann Arbor, MI and they were using USA hockey amateur rules (I think?), and being from across the river (along with 4 or 5 others on my team) I was so surprised when they blew the play dead when I barely skated through the other teams goal crease when a teammate was trying to get the puck on net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad