WC: USA has not appeared in WHC final in 57 years

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
U.S best chance to score came from a pass Eichel made......maybe he shouldn't bother to show up like Matthews even though Eichel had ankle surgery not too long ago. Seems like the all the Austin Matthews fans like to gang up and bang on a guy like he was practically scoring for the other team even though the 2 oblivious turnovers that gave breakaways were not from him.:shakehead

Eichel was a lazy train wreck in this tournament. The entire team was bad against Finland but Eichel's poor play and effort level certainly permeated to the rest of the team.

There can be no excuses for him.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
The US beat Sweden in this years tournament. So that must mean that team USA was on a pretty good level. Losing a tough elimination game does not necessarily mean a team has mental issues. Where do fans come up with this stuff.

...because they didn't get up for said elimination game? I don't know if i was watching the same game, but it was more about USA's poor performance than it was about us playing great. They made our team look a lot better than we really were, which was clearly evident against Sweden and Russia.

Game against Sweden was in the round robin, where teams like Switzerland beat Canada and Germany beat USA. Does that mean Swiss are in the same level as Canada, and Germany in the same level as USA?

Sweden had zero killers instinct in that game, they had the lead 3 times, million PP's and still pissed it away.

They would've beat USA in a game that mattered no doubt about that.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Eichel was a lazy train wreck in this tournament. The entire team was bad against Finland but Eichel's poor play and effort level certainly permeated to the rest of the team.

There can be no excuses for him.

Yeah, i guess that's where it all starts. I still remember Getzlaf being the #1 center for Canada when they lost to Slovaks in the QF, after a similar performance.

It was the time when Getzlaf was reportedly out clubbing every other day.

I don't know how Eichel spent his days, but just the body language during games from your supposedly top player is pretty darn tough to overcome by the rest of the team.

Question is, why does that even happen. I could never see a guy like Barkov wear the Lion jersey and play like he doesn't give a damn.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Yeah, i guess that's where it all starts. I still remember Getzlaf being the #1 center for Canada when they lost to Slovaks in the QF, after a similar performance.

It was the time when Getzlaf was reportedly out clubbing every other day.

I don't know how Eichel spent his days, but just the body language during games from your supposedly top player is pretty darn tough to overcome by the rest of the team.

Question is, why does that even happen. I could never see a guy like Barkov wear the Lion jersey and play like he doesn't give a damn.

Sooo what are you trying to say? They lost a game. End of story. You seem to want it to be a bigger deal than it is for whatever reason.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
It is 100%. Even if they never have the best team, they still have a team capable of going far every year. I mean if Finns and even the Swiss have made the finals in the past decade, there is no excuses for USA to not make it in 57 years.

I mean just watching the QF game, their effort was absolutely disgusting. They looked like they were out partying the night before, and underestimated Finns at the same time.

Which brings me to the life outside of games in these tournaments.. Watching them play over a dozen tournaments, im pretty confident in saying they probably treat the tournament as a vacation more than any other big country. There is no way in hell they work hard off the ice and prepare accordingly to games.

They also get upset by a much weaker opponent pretty much every single year. Another good indication of that.

After reading some of your other posts in this thread it would seem that you have some sort of issue with team USA. Not sure why, but it explains your persistence to nit pick every little thing. Not to mention the assumptions that you make.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
This tournament made sure it has now been 57 years and counting since USA played in WHC final last time. (or won gold/silver since there has not always been a final played)

When will the time come? Even Slovakia has been in finals 3 times since it's independence, and also Switzerland appeared once.

When you relate this to the fact that they're always bigger favourite than us, it gets interesting. It is just about the big Merican flag with like 50+ stars that gets every one intimated.. you just always consider them winning candidates. And probably will be in the future, and can't actually blame that.. lots of NHLers ect.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
When you relate this to the fact that they're always bigger favourite than us, it gets interesting. It is just about the big Merican flag with like 50+ stars that gets every one intimated.. you just always consider them winning candidates. And probably will be in the future, and can't actually blame that.. lots of NHLers ect.

Big American flag with 50+ stars???

What the...

Maybe socio-politics explains this thread better than any hockey reasoning.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

What did I just read?

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
...because they didn't get up for said elimination game? I don't know if i was watching the same game, but it was more about USA's poor performance than it was about us playing great. They made our team look a lot better than we really were, which was clearly evident against Sweden and Russia.

Game against Sweden was in the round robin, where teams like Switzerland beat Canada and Germany beat USA. Does that mean Swiss are in the same level as Canada, and Germany in the same level as USA?

Sweden had zero killers instinct in that game, they had the lead 3 times, million PP's and still pissed it away.

They would've beat USA in a game that mattered no doubt about that.

Most definitely NO. But what it means is that on any given game, Switzerland has a REAL chance at beating ANYONE. And that's a very important thing called RESPECT.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
There's been a big change in the hockey word over this decade. 2010 was probably the swan song of the Slovaks being competitive. The Czechs have faded into a decent team but non contender. Meanwhile the US has probably lept Russia and Sweden in terms of pure talent available and by that I mean having a deep bench. So it's not really surprising the USA hasn't done that well until recently since they weren't particularly good except for the golden generation of 96 and 02.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Name all those "plenty of teams". Losing to a really good team like Finland is not a step backwards. That is a ridiculous statement. Losing a hockey game does not mean you have no heart. Finland won with a great game plan.

And you have zero proof that US players, that come to play, don't take the world championship seriously. Don't try to pass it off as fact. Your statements are speculation made for twitter.

At least impression around US team was always that they send team with no real high aspirations just to develope some guys. Also their fan base does not look much interested and always emphasize that they just take gold or nothing (probably just only from BOB tourney which they only care about). Its quite rewarding to see team USA loosing to Finnland and experiencing different preassure which other teams experience every year. I think they have to go through it.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I can almost guarantee the story would be different if matthews played this year.

All streaks are broken eventually, but the "roster" explanation doesn't cut it IMO.

Traditionally, the games haven't even been on TV in the US. To get players to come, traditionally, and much more so 20 years ago than today, they are offered a good time. In some instances that good time is going out partying, in other instances that good time is less practicing and visits to museums and what not.

To put it like this, if a coach for Finland or Sweden fails miserably -- they will find their face on the front page of the top newspapers in Sweden. What I write above can be misinterpreted, and its not ment as a trashing of the US program at all. But I've followed all WCH's closely the last 30 years, literary, and it has a impact. No doubt.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
All streaks are broken eventually, but the "roster" explanation doesn't cut it IMO.

Traditionally, the games haven't even been on TV in the US. To get players to come, traditionally, and much more so 20 years ago than today, they are offered a good time. In some instances that good time is going out partying, in other instances that good time is less practicing and visits to museums and what not.

To put it like this, if a coach for Finland or Sweden fails miserably -- they will find their face on the front page of the top newspapers in Sweden. What I write above can be misinterpreted, and its not ment as a trashing of the US program at all. But I've followed all WCH's closely the last 30 years, literary, and it has a impact. No doubt.

This is accurate. All US fans know that the players are trying, but clearly it's not a do or die type mentality. Regular season vs playoff type effort

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
This is accurate. All US fans know that the players are trying, but clearly it's not a do or die type mentality. Regular season vs playoff type effort

I think it depends on the player. Dylan Larkin doesn't strike me as the type of guy who takes representing the US for granted. Same goes for Murphy, Gaudreau, and Lee.

But it seems every year we've got a couple of guys who definitely treat it like a summer pick up, and that's all it takes. I think it's a fair criticism that we tend to have a few guys each year who aren't as prepared as they could be, which can ultimately cost you, especially when it's your #1 superstar center who sets the example. It's tough to play with passion when guys like Eichel are floating around with gifted minutes.

Last year I felt the roster was much weaker, but they didnt have a lazy boat anchor on the top line. They played with a lot more heart in the QF and upset the Czechs, and nearly beat Canada in the SF in a gutsy effort. Matthews was way more dangerous with Frankie Vatrano than Eichel was with Gaudreau, Lee, or Keller. That should tell you something.

All that said, the US has been decent since 2013:

3rd
6th
3rd
4th
5th

I don't think their rosters have been any better than ~4th among the top nations, squarely behind Canada, Sweden, and Russia, about par with Finland.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Sooo what are you trying to say? They lost a game. End of story. You seem to want it to be a bigger deal than it is for whatever reason.

In case you missed this thread is about USA not making the finals in 57 years. That QF was a vintage USA performance in an elimination game, at least what i remember from the past dozen years, and it is a proper thing to bring up in this discussion.

After reading some of your other posts in this thread it would seem that you have some sort of issue with team USA. Not sure why, but it explains your persistence to nit pick every little thing. Not to mention the assumptions that you make.

Well that's your own misinterpretation, in this thread i've said people underrate their teams and that their overall effort in this tournament is most of the time not good enough. How is that having a problem with team USA ?

I don't even know what assumptions you're talking about.

Most definitely NO. But what it means is that on any given game, Switzerland has a REAL chance at beating ANYONE. And that's a very important thing called RESPECT.

Exactly.. i hope you didn't actually think i meant that. It was a response to the other posters ridiculous argument.

Pretty much. And it varies between players for sure.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
USA will inevitably win the tournament sometime soon. For the vast majority of these 57 years though there was pretty much no chance for USA to really compete in the tournament. USA didn't really start producing any elite players until the 80s, and even when there were some elite players the depth wasn't really there in a big way until the last decade. USA has a terrible record of player acceptance, almost certainly worse than what any other country has dealt with. It's not shocking that a newish hockey power hasn't been in the final of a competitive tournament that its population is largely unaware of.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I think it depends on the player. Dylan Larkin doesn't strike me as the type of guy who takes representing the US for granted. Same goes for Murphy, Gaudreau, and Lee.

But it seems every year we've got a couple of guys who definitely treat it like a summer pick up, and that's all it takes. I think it's a fair criticism that we tend to have a few guys each year who aren't as prepared as they could be, which can ultimately cost you, especially when it's your #1 superstar center who sets the example. It's tough to play with passion when guys like Eichel are floating around with gifted minutes.

Last year I felt the roster was much weaker, but they didnt have a lazy boat anchor on the top line. They played with a lot more heart in the QF and upset the Czechs, and nearly beat Canada in the SF in a gutsy effort. Matthews was way more dangerous with Frankie Vatrano than Eichel was with Gaudreau, Lee, or Keller. That should tell you something.

All that said, the US has been decent since 2013:

3rd
6th
3rd
4th
5th

I don't think their rosters have been any better than ~4th among the top nations, squarely behind Canada, Sweden, and Russia, about par with Finland.

I think Eichel played pretty poorly but I don't think was such an anchor for the team.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
At least impression around US team was always that they send team with no real high aspirations just to develope some guys. Also their fan base does not look much interested and always emphasize that they just take gold or nothing (probably just only from BOB tourney which they only care about). Its quite rewarding to see team USA loosing to Finnland and experiencing different preassure which other teams experience every year. I think they have to go through it.

Yes, I am quite sure US players don't want gold :laugh: The players that come over seas are giving up time with their families, vacation time, to heal up to play in the tournament. Most players don't come because of injuries, UFA/RFA status and personnel reasons. Some of that reason is the way USA hockey handled Bobby Ryan in 2014. <<< there is no excuse for that.

Interesting that some posters on here assume they know how US players think, if they lose "no heart". The reason a lot of the US players have made it, as others from other countries players have, to the NHL is becuase they are highly competitive. No way would US hockey players come over and just go through the motions.

I would bet US players were fuming they lost.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com

Sweden had zero killers instinct in that game, they had the lead 3 times, million PP's and still pissed it away. They would've beat USA in a game that mattered no doubt about that.

You are amazing at reading players minds. Sweden would have, no doubt won in the medal rounds no matter what but don't care about round robin games. Amazing that Sweden can turn it on and off like that according to you.

I am going send you some Florida racing forms so you can help with picks. I mean you must know what the jockey's and horses are thinking as well.

Finland won the game because they played better, Professor.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
The timing of the tournament with the NHL playoffs and the fact that it is across the pond will always put USA and Canada at a disadvantage. People in North America are watching the NHL playoffs right now and aren't following this tournament very closely. Kids don't grow up really caring that much about it over here. Couple that with the Americans being worn out from a long NHL season and many of them not being available because they are still playing, and you get subpar results, even from those who do go.

How does Canada counter this? They have a way bigger talent pool to pick from.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
So much hand-wringing over what amounts to a flat performance against a difficult opponent in a single-elimination game. I'm not making excuses for that performance (it was terrible) but over-shadows what was overall a quality effort throughout the tournament by a very young team. The U.S. brought a credible roster and I think on balance the results speak for themselves. Hopefully sooner than later our results on the junior side translate on the senior side.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
You are amazing at reading players minds. Sweden would have, no doubt won in the medal rounds no matter what but don't care about round robin games. Amazing that Sweden can turn it on and off like that according to you.

I am going send you some Florida racing forms so you can help with picks. I mean you must know what the jockey's and horses are thinking as well.

Finland won the game because they played better, Professor.

Here to help my young padawan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad