WC: USA has not appeared in WHC final in 57 years

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
All streaks are broken eventually, but the "roster" explanation doesn't cut it IMO.

Traditionally, the games haven't even been on TV in the US. To get players to come, traditionally, and much more so 20 years ago than today, they are offered a good time. In some instances that good time is going out partying, in other instances that good time is less practicing and visits to museums and what not.

Of all the reasons I have read on here, as to why the US failed to do more than 2 Bronze Medals the past few years, ^that^ has to be the reason. :bow:

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
They still send rosters that are able to at least get the Bronze. There are a bunch of teams that have gotten a medal whose roster has been anything but convincing. Its just that the US are the only top nation incapable of accomplishing such a feat.

They always include a bunch of non-NHLers on their roster. They use it as a chance to give the young guys a shot.

Tuoppi

Sep 9, 2016
Pori
Vice president of IIHF Kalervo Kummola said that USA has expressed interest in hosting a World championship but Canada is unlikely. He also said that South Korea could host someday but it's a long way.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
They always include a bunch of non-NHLers on their roster. They use it as a chance to give the young guys a shot.

Yep, exactly. They've become elite when it comes to developing prospects and it showed at the World Juniors. It's a strategy with a long-term payoff of eventual Olympic gold and it's a shame we won't see in 2018.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Given how they did in the round robin I thought they would have gotten to the finals this year. Got to think with Matthews emerging they could be a team to watch over the next few yrs.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
I gotta say, unless you package/market this to some of the players like it's a nice expenses paid Europe vacation in a fancy hotel with some planned team activities, a few younger American/Canadian players wouldn't bother taking a transatlantic flight over. Question is, would you want some of these "stars" giving half-effort, or a career AHLer? If the skill disparity is high enough (i.e., Eichel vs minor leaguer), you're usually going to take the NHL player who doesn't come to practice - even if it's a wash, only to generate some team buzz.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Given how they did in the round robin I thought they would have gotten to the finals this year. Got to think with Matthews emerging they could be a team to watch over the next few yrs.

thats assuming Matthews shows us

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Yes, I am quite sure US players don't want gold :laugh: The players that come over seas are giving up time with their families, vacation time, to heal up to play in the tournament. Most players don't come because of injuries, UFA/RFA status and personnel reasons. Some of that reason is the way USA hockey handled Bobby Ryan in 2014. <<< there is no excuse for that.

Interesting that some posters on here assume they know how US players think, if they lose "no heart". The reason a lot of the US players have made it, as others from other countries players have, to the NHL is becuase they are highly competitive. No way would US hockey players come over and just go through the motions.

I would bet US players were fuming they lost.

I dont argue here. I believe they want to win. This team was definetely gold medal contender. But teams from 2015,2016 were at max able to compete for bronze. Thus I would say the pressure on US team including guys from universities is much smaller than for example on Finnland whose entire nation is watching every minute of this tourney. This year USA finnally built highly competitive team and I quite like they recognizing it does not automatically mean they are winning it all. I think US will win within 5years but they have to go through this experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad