World Cup: USA - Do you want to switch coaches?

ThunderD

Jan 29, 2016
Tortarella chose to make Dustin Byfuglien a healthy scratch.

And it's painfully obvious the roster was constructed with Tortarella in mind. We don't know how much direct input he gave, but the roster is littered with current and former players coached by Tortarella, and the style of the roster was tailored to his "gritty" style of play.

I agree that it was stupid to bench Byfuglien. I don't think they had Torts in mind, they constructed a horrible roster and this coach was the best one to coach a team with a lot of talent left home and grinders sent to an all-star tournament. It starts at the top. Get rid of Burke and Lombardi and you won't need a coach like Torts.

If you can't see Tortorella's fingerprints all over this team's selection policy, I really don't know how to talk to you.

Did you see the '10 or '14 Team USA? We took out guys like Callahan and Brown and put in guys like Abdelkader. It's not Torts' fingerprints all over this horrible roster, it's Burke's.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
A better coach would have probably gotten more out of the team, but the roster itself was terribly put together as well. From top to bottom it was a complete mess.

I think a better coach/system could have made this U.S. team much more competitive. Yes, there was an over-reliance on "grit" and "truculence" but there was some very good talent. It didn't help the players as a whole didn't show up. I have to think there was some behind the scenes stuff at work.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I'd take a lump of soil before Torts. The only reason he gets a job is the old boys club mentality.

He was the right coach for the plan USA Hockey had. The problem is that plan was a failure. That style of hockey still has a place (unfortunately) in the NHL but it has no place in the international game.

holly01

Sep 19, 2016
g.png
Perhaps that should be switched lineups, not his coach

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
See the key is to have a good coach coaching the players. Someone like Laviolette or Sullivan

AINEC*

AINEC
Jul 4, 2011
Torts is a premier coach in the league who has demonstrated nothing less than a professional, winning mentality. Under the radar guy who never has any qualms with the media. Just goes to work and motivates his guys. Team USA couldn't ask for anyone better.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Torts is a premier coach in the league who has demonstrated nothing less than a professional, winning mentality. Under the radar guy who never has any qualms with the media. Just goes to work and motivates his guys. Team USA couldn't ask for anyone better.

You forgot the :sarcasm:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
He never would have been allowed within 100 miles of the team if I had my way in the first place.

He's an awful coach for the current way the game is played and has been for a while...the result was no surprise.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Within reason, Torts would have been my last choice if I wanted team USA to win.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Did you see the '10 or '14 Team USA? We took out guys like Callahan and Brown and put in guys like Abdelkader. It's not Torts' fingerprints all over this horrible roster, it's Burke's.

I don't think you'll get any arguments that Burke isn't any more of a dinosaur than Tortorella. I personally think he's the most irrelevant man in hockey.

Whether the roster is his fault or Tortorella's (I don't think it's up for debate that Dubinsky and J. Johnson were Tortorella's executive decisions, myself) either way, the conclusion is the same. Tortorella isn't going to magically break 30 years of habit with his style of play, which everyone admits doesn't work, and so the guy has to go.

Last edited:

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
a bag of pucks would be better than torts

i'd prefer bylsma or even lavi really. anyone but that moron

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad