World Cup: USA - Do you want to switch coaches?

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Done. Have Torts...no take backs. Do we actually have to let Gronborg coach or can he operate a NYC food cart instead?

Sorey*

Aug 26, 2016
Done. Have Torts...no take backs. Do we actually have to let Gronborg coach or can he operate a NYC food cart instead?

Gronborg doesnt coach, doesnt linejuggle, only sits back and plays ultra-passive. Might had worked in the 70s.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Gronborg doesnt coach, doesnt linejuggle, only sits back and plays ultra-passive. Might had worked in the 70s.

Does he conduct ultra-offensive and arrogant interviews in the face of total defeat? How punch-able is his face?

cheesesteak

Jul 3, 2011
I'd take Laviolette over Tortarella. I'm not a fan of Torts. I'm sure there's other good choices who are lesser known too.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Of course Tortorella will never coach a TeamUSA hockey team again. Give Hynes a chance he has been heavily involved with TeamUSA hockey for years.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
I want to switch lineups, not coaches.

We need to do both overhaul everything a bunch of those American players on team NA should have been on TeamUSA. Eichel, Gaudreau, Saad, Larkin and possibly Gostisbehere at least off the top of my head, maybe more. I mean guys like Abdelkader, Dubinsky and even van Riemadyk, who has never impressed me shouldnt have come close to that team.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I want a new coach and a new management building the team, headlined by the Bowmans who will bring a philosophy that will suit their best players. Kane, Pavelski, Matthews, Eichel, Gaudreau, etc. Lombardi built a team around his worst players and it showed.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Torts is a clown. Has been for years.

I'd take almost anyone over that idiot.

MUST the USA coach be an american?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
It shouldn't be hard to find someone better than Torts. Pluck someone off the street and they'll likely do better.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
The problem with Torts is his personality. He has a wealth on hockey knowledge and experience which would be invaluable under most circumstances but his ego and attitude make it all but useless. I don't think USA had as good a roster as the rest but they certainly could have been more competitive than they were. I think it's hard enough competing against the other team, it's even harder when you're competing against your own coach at the same time. Torts doesn't seem to inject energy into his players and even appears to kill it. A lot of issues with USA hockey and the coach shouldn't be excused from criticism. I personally would want almost anyone but him coaching my national team.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
So Tortorella chose to exclude someone like Shattenkirk and Kessel?

Tortarella chose to make Dustin Byfuglien a healthy scratch.

And it's painfully obvious the roster was constructed with Tortarella in mind. We don't know how much direct input he gave, but the roster is littered with current and former players coached by Tortarella, and the style of the roster was tailored to his "gritty" style of play.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
A better coach would have probably gotten more out of the team, but the roster itself was terribly put together as well. From top to bottom it was a complete mess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad