Tennis: US Open 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Cheering for Kvitova, Pliskova, Stephens and Kanepi. Men's side: Del Po, Rublev, Querrey (yikes!), don't care about the last one. Odds are not in my favor, that's for sure. Hahah.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Big win for Keys. This is the type of match she should win, if she's going to compete at the top of the game. I think a lot of people forget that she had a really good 2016, and then had a wrist injury, which had her miss the start of the season, and then she didn't completely get fit until a few months ago. She was up to #7 in the world at age 21 towards the end of last season, so she was improving. And I still think that she's the best of the non-Serena Americans, although Bellis will catch her eventually.

Am I wrong in thinking that the winner of Pliskova vs. Keys in the SF will be the winner of this tournament? Maybe a chance for Kvitova as well?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This has also been the best Grand Slam for the Americans in years, if you discount Serena who you don't even really have to account for in that category because her results are kind of a given. Without Serena, there are four American women in the QF's and Querrey has the best chance for an American msn to win a Grand Slam since Roddick.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The quarters for both men and women are just weird.

Pliskova (1)
Vanderweghe (20)

Keys (15)
Kanepi

V. Williams (9)
Kvitova (13)

Stephens
Sevastova (16)

-----------------------------

Nadal (1)
Rublev

Federer (3)
Del Potro (24)

Querrey (17)
Anderson (28)

Carenno-Busta (12)
Schwatzman (29)

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Cheering for Kvitova, Pliskova, Stephens and Kanepi. Men's side: Del Po, Rublev, Querrey (yikes!), don't care about the last one. Odds are not in my favor, that's for sure. Hahah.
...and you say that in this tournament like it's a bad thing. :)

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The quarters for both men and women are just weird.

Pliskova (1)
Vanderweghe (20)

Keys (15)
Kanepi

V. Williams (9)
Kvitova (13)

Stephens
Sevastova (16)

-----------------------------

Nadal (1)
Rublev

Federer (3)
Del Potro (24)

Querrey (17)
Anderson (28)

Carenno-Busta (12)
Schwatzman (29)

Jeees that's awkward. Here's my best case scenario for tennis:

On the men's side: Rafa/Fed Semis. Fed vs. Querrey (?) in the finals since Sam is an American.

On the women's side: Kvitova or Venus in the finals on their side. I think everyone could find a reason to cheer for either of those two. Kanepi or Coco on the other side. Kanepi's story is actually pretty amazing. Coco vs. Keys would be an interesting semi.

That bottom men's draw is BRUTAL.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The funny thing is neither Roger nor Rafa are playing lights out tennis, more like workmanlike efficiency. I'm going with Pliskova, Keys, Venus, and Stephens on the women's side and Rublev, Federer, Carenno-Busta, Querrey on the men's side.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Rublev taking out Nadal would be something. I'd love to see it!

Federer-Anderson final is what I'm seeing right now. Scary thought but I could see Anderson winning this tournament.

On the Women's side, I'm thinking Pliskova-Stephens final right now.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Reading over the past couple of days comments, I have to think that the putdown "pusher" is just a derogatory term for "clay court player." Part of people's impatience with them is that their style is just different; for lack of a better word, more "European." That's the way most Europeans learn to play over there, especially on the continent. To suggest that the good ones aren't supremely skilled amounts to a form of jingoism. To further suggest that Carreno-Busta beat Denis only because Shapovalov was tired ignores the fact that Denis gave very little indication of that during the match, still bouncing around like the Energizer bunny between every point. Pablo made Dennis play his game and made him hit more balls than Shapovalov usually needs to hit to win a point. All credit to a clay court player making a hard court player play his game on a surface that the clay court player doesn't naturally excel at. The biggest factor that differentiates the two isn't talent, it's experience. The smarter, more knowledgeable (and highly skilled) player won but in the process provided a great learning opportunity for the younger player. Even young lions have to be taught to hunt. Denis will learn from this--hopefully, he will develop a volley game and become more patient. As for Carreno-Busta, excellent win.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Rublev taking out Nadal would be something. I'd love to see it!
I wouldn't love to see it. But I wouldn't mind it as much as I once did. On the other hand, the thought of Roger and Rafa sharing all four GSs this year is deliciously perverse. It's 2017, for Christsakes--what's the matter with the rest of those bums?

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I wouldn't love to see it. But I wouldn't mind it as much as I once did. On the other hand, the thought of Roger and Rafa sharing all four GSs this year is deliciously perverse. It's 2017, for Christsakes--what's the matter with the rest of those bums?

And of course there is that potential SF matchup that remarkably has never happened before here at the USO ;)

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I just noticed that Federer and Nadal have never met at the US Open.
Man, that's odd. You would think in all those years their paths would've crossed at least once.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
All week Schwatzman has looked like his mother dressed him up in his little boy sailor suit.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
A nervous closer, Carreno-Busta wastes one service break but makes good on the other, 6-4.

Have to think that whoever wins this match, the semis is the end of the line for them. But nothing too shabby about getting that far.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
If Schwartzman was able to hold his serve, he'd be a real threat. But his 2nd serve in particular is a major weakness.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Impressive from PCB. And with that he'll move into the top 10. As a talent maximizer his upside is limited, but even it he never challenges for slams he'll be a fantastic top-level gatekeeper.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Sloane up 4-1. Can't see Sebastova being much of a threat to her. Don't know how she beat Sharapova. Sevastova can move the ball around and is persistent, but that's about it. She has no power, and she doesn't even appear to be all that mobile (though, in truth, I haven't seen her play before this tournament).

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Pretty easy set. Sevastova is a "bag of tricks" kind of player--lot of different shots; makes her opponent generate her own pace. Guile minus fire power.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
3-1 Sevastova in the second. It's like watching a junk ball picture in action. Frustrating kind of player to compete against.

The one place where she has a little mustard is on that first serve. Probably appears faster than it is, given the contrast with the rest of her game.

Can a match get more low energy than this one? It feels like both are playing in slow motion.

So far the Quaalude Queens have 48 unforced errors between them.

Looks like we are going to a third set. Sevastova seemed to lull Stephens into her sleepy pace and fed Sloane an endless variety of different shots to keep her off balance. It seemed more like hypnosis than anything else.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Third set: Sevastova up the early break, 3-1. Hard to belief this is happening--I guess I now know how she went about knocking off Maria the other night, though.

3-3 as Sloane breaks the spell injecting some much needed drama into the proceedings in the process.

Clever girl--Sevastova starts hitting with more pace....and breaks back, 4-3....whoops, Sloane breaks back, 4-4.

Unfortunately this is every bit as exciting as your basic turtle/sloth match up....(And as I write that there is a picture of someone in the crowd yawning).

Sloane holds for 5-4....goes to a breaker....and Sloane ekes out a win, 7-4.

I turned up the sound for the tie breaker and unfortunately got English-speakers. They made the match sound like the greatest thing since sliced bread. Shows you the difference perspective can make (and hype).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad