Tennis: US Open 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
On the Men's side, Federer would be the favorite right now I'd say. Murray is still on the entry list but will he play? Nadal hasn't won a HC tournament in a long time, so doubt he wins here. Cilic could be a factor but he's injured as well. Dimitrov is coming off his first MS1000 title in Cincy, so this could be his moment. Raonic could have a chance here but he's battling injuries (again). Until proven otherwise, I don't see Thiem as a legit HC threat.

Djokovic, Wawrinka (defending champ) and Nishikori out.

On the Women's side, no Serena so who knows. Muguruza just won Cincy so she's a favorite. Pliskova and Halep are right there aswell. Probably see a first time GS winner on the Women's side. Sharapova will be in the MD with a WC.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Qualifying draw is out and all 5 Canadian men managed to avoid each other and hopefully can all make it through! Same for the 2 wonen.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Both sides look wide open going in.

Cincy put asleep my Thiem fixation, and I haven't a clue who to replace him with. I guess Zverev, though I agree with Hadoop that endurance is a big question mark in a best of five tournament. But really it could be any of seven or eight people.

If Muguruza stays in form, she has to be the favourite now. I like Pliskova and, especially, Svitolina, but neither has won a GS yet, so they are a little suspect until they do.

Should be fun, though.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
3 Canadians in action today in qualifying and it's our trio of teenagers.

Denis Shapovalov (18), Félix Auger-Aliassime (17) and Bianca Andreescu (17).

Denis and Felix both up a set in their first round matches and Bianca is up later today.

Felix breaks to take his match in straight sets. Stakhovsky up next which is a tough matchup.

Denis also finishes his match off in straight sets.

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Decent day so far in qualifying for the Canadians.

Polansky and Abanda through to round 2. But Schnur is out. He had a chance to serve for the match but blew it.

Dancevic up later today.

Frank gets the win!

So 5 out of 7 Canadians advance to round 2.

Last edited:

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Raonic had surgery today to remove some of the bone that was causing the issue. He's stating he'll be ready to play in a few weeks!

That seems a crazy timeline to me, and honestly as much as it sucks I think he should take the rest of the year off to fully heal.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Tough loss in round 2 of qualifying for FAA against Stakhovsky. Had set points in the first but couldn't get it done. Still a very good showing for the 17 year old against a tough opponent.

Shapovalov (up a set) and Polansky (down a set) are both in action right now.

Abanda and Dancevic later.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Shapovalov advances to third round of qualifications.

How does the Lucky Loser system work? If Shapovalov is now into the final round of qualifications, and with so many withdrawals happening, with Shapovalov being the number 2 seed in qualifications, does he pretty much have a spot in the main draw locked up? I'm sure he'd prefer to win his way there, but, it'll be nice for him to get there any way he can.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
The top 4 seeds who lost in round 3 will go into a draw. So if Denis loses tomorrow, he'll have a 1 in 4 chance to be picked.

Shapovalov, Polansky, Dancevic and Abanda will all play tomorrow in the final round of qualifying.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Shapovalov is playing a real cupcake today, Jan Satral, whose picture is beside the word "nobody" in the dictionary. He's a nine year veteran from the Czech Republic who took eight years of slow progress to reach the dizzying heights of #134 before dropping back to his current #196. According to the ATP site, he plays lots and lots of Challengers. His lifetime record on the big tour is all of 1-4. Book that hotel room, Denis.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Raonic had surgery today to remove some of the bone that was causing the issue. He's stating he'll be ready to play in a few weeks!

That seems a crazy timeline to me, and honestly as much as it sucks I think he should take the rest of the year off to fully heal.

right? like. get it fixed, rest up and then come back.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Uh, hold that hotel reservation. First set to Satral, 7-6 (2).

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
right? like. get it fixed, rest up and then come back.

Especially since I get the sense that he's Grand Slam or bust in his thinking right now in his career.

Happy to see Shapovalov through. After Rogers Cup, and with Raonic out, he'll have a lot of eyes on him in Canada. Hopefully he gets a good draw and can win a couple of rounds.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Rafa has a "perfect storm" type draw whereas Roger has a killer draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad