TSN: UPDATED 9/15 - TSN will air Habs regional games on TSN2

missthenet

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
Bah.

I would have stuck with RDS anyway. That's the thing with Montreal, it's huge in term of market but the English rights are just not worth it for broadcasters with RDS being so dominant. Even Anglos watch on RDS which reduces English ratings to almost nothing. RDS is paying over $65M a year for the rights and I bet TSN is not even paying 20% of that.

Also I'm not surprised they are putting the Habs on TSN2 and leave the Sens to the main eastern feed (TSN5)

key word being regional games which means of you do not live in that market you do not get the games. this year early bird NHL Cenre Ice package is $205.00.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Bah.

I would have stuck with RDS anyway. That's the thing with Montreal, it's huge in term of market but the English rights are just not worth it for broadcasters with RDS being so dominant. Even Anglos watch on RDS which reduces English ratings to almost nothing. RDS is paying over $65M a year for the rights and I bet TSN is not even paying 20% of that.

Also I'm not surprised they are putting the Habs on TSN2 and leave the Sens to the main eastern feed (TSN5)

TSN2 seems like a separate channel from the other TSN feeds. I'm with Bell satellite and I get TSN1,3,4,5 with the package I have with them but I don't get TSN2 which is an extra $7 a month to add for me.

I guess by adding the Habs to TSN2 they're hoping people in the same boat as me who don't currently have TSN2 will add that channel since the big draw Habs are now on it.

With the recent news that Bell is increasing their satellite TV rates by $3 on Oct 1st, 2017 for the second time this year (I already had a $3 increase on Feb 1st, 2017) I think I'll stick with watching Sens games this year. I can also listen to Hab games on TSN690 and I'll stream games if need be. The less money I give the thieves at Bell the better.

I already downgraded my Bell satellite package after that CRTC joke they called pick and pay came into effect but I did save $20 a month. With 2 $3 price increases a year coming from Bell though it won't be long before that $20 savings will be gone again. Cable and satellite TV prices in Canada really are a joke.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Have you been getting the Sens games on TSN5 last season? The Habs region is the same as the Sens, so if you're getting one you should get the other. Also if you got Habs games on Sportsnet East last season, then same thing. If you're east of Belleville then you should be good, if you're west then probably not good and if you're north or south, then no idea! I don't know if there's anywhere you can plug in your address and see what region you're in.

CBC and Sportsnet, potentially Citytv too.
Not sure about the Sens but we were getting Habs games on SNE so seems like we should be good.

On Trenton side of Belleville so slightly West but not in Trenton either.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Not sure about the Sens but we were getting Habs games on SNE so seems like we should be good.

On Trenton side of Belleville so slightly West but not in Trenton either.

You won't be getting regional Habs games on SNE anymore. Only the occasion Habs national game. TSN2 has the rights now.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Are all games broadcast in English again or only the 50 on TSN@.

The non tsn games will be the national ones which will be found on snet, cbc, and city or any other Roger's affiliated channel.

I don't know if tsn is picking up all the non national games or just a chunk of them.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
TSN2 seems like a separate channel from the other TSN feeds. I'm with Bell satellite and I get TSN1,3,4,5 with the package I have with them but I don't get TSN2 which is an extra $7 a month to add for me.

I guess by adding the Habs to TSN2 they're hoping people in the same boat as me who don't currently have TSN2 will add that channel since the big draw Habs are now on it.

With the recent news that Bell is increasing their satellite TV rates by $3 on Oct 1st, 2017 for the second time this year (I already had a $3 increase on Feb 1st, 2017) I think I'll stick with watching Sens games this year. I can also listen to Hab games on TSN690 and I'll stream games if need be. The less money I give the thieves at Bell the better.

I already downgraded my Bell satellite package after that CRTC joke they called pick and pay came into effect but I did save $20 a month. With 2 $3 price increases a year coming from Bell though it won't be long before that $20 savings will be gone again. Cable and satellite TV prices in Canada really are a joke.

TSN2 is their "national" channel, as in it wasn't meant to cover a specific region like the other four (Pacific for TSN1, Mountain/Central for TSN 3, Ontario for TSN 4 and Atlantic for TSN5) .

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
TSN2 is their "national" channel, as in it wasn't meant to cover a specific region like the other four (Pacific for TSN1, Mountain/Central for TSN 3, Ontario for TSN 4 and Atlantic for TSN5) .

So what happens with it now? It's also now a regional channel for Habs games in the Habs region which will cost me an extra $7 it looks like to watch Habs games while I get Sens games included in my TSN package already.

cowellj

Sep 14, 2017
****ING PIECE OF **** ******* Cogeco blacked-out games in Belleville and Kingston region!!!!
WAY TO GO!!

missthenet

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
If you get TSN2 in British Columbia, do you get Hab games without blackouts? Asking for a friend

no they black them out you have to live in the region to get the gmes on TSN2, ripoff, only way in BC is buying the full centre ice package which last year was 50% off at this time. As well ot is only $153. 00 in the states

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
So we got SNE last year but not TSN 2 this year (blacked out)...

How incredibly frustrating..

Also TSN2 isn't included in the lower packages with Bell satellite with TSN1,TSN3, TSN4 ,TSN5 so it's an extra $7 a month for TSN2. :shakehead

**** you Bell along with your ridiculous prices and 2 BS price increases a year. :rant:

IcemanTBI

Apr 19, 2004
Land of Ice
****ING PIECE OF **** ******* Cogeco blacked-out games in Belleville and Kingston region!!!!
WAY TO GO!!

I was at my parents house last night and it was blacked out here as well with Shaw cable (Sault Ste. Marie/Northern Ontario). Seriously, these networks are digging their own graves. They wonder why illegal streaming is so high, well now you know. I dont even bother with cable anymore. Won't post it here, but I found all my sources for games already online for free, so Rogers/Bell can go F**** themselves.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
That color guy was awful last night, whoever that was... actually the entire duo sucked balls. Is that what we have to endure?

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Bah.

You nailed it.

The only reason TSN is picking up the English rights is because they're worth little to none (SN tried and, predictably, failed, so the league had to literally give them away) and that the production values won't cost them anything (as Fenway pointed out earlier).

P.S. I don't have the figures, but, I'd bet it is under your 20% threshold even.

Last edited:

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
So what happens with it now? It's also now a regional channel for Habs games in the Habs region which will cost me an extra $7 it looks like to watch Habs games while I get Sens games included in my TSN package already.

I am surprised Bell wouldn't carry TSN2 without costing you more. I am not familiar with the provider, but it makes little sense to me considering it's their own channel.

TSN2 will be a spill-over feed when it comes to the Habs games (and the Habs games only). I guess it makes sense, this is all about as little investment as possible (see my post above) from all the parties involved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad