TSN: UPDATED 9/15 - TSN will air Habs regional games on TSN2

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I was at my parents house last night and it was blacked out here as well with Shaw cable (Sault Ste. Marie/Northern Ontario). Seriously, these networks are digging their own graves. They wonder why illegal streaming is so high, well now you know. I dont even bother with cable anymore. Won't post it here, but I found all my sources for games already online for free, so Rogers/Bell can go F**** themselves.

I've been foaming at my mouth trying to make people understand what the real issue is. Because, it's important to me too (see: The NFL), and I want to spread the word about what is really at play here. It needs to change, but, unfortunately, there are so many that don't even understand what the deal is. Please, read up on what the blackouts are, in the NHL or any other NA sports league(s).

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I am surprised Bell wouldn't carry TSN2 without costing you more. I am not familiar with the provider, but it makes little sense to me considering it's their own channel.

TSN2 will be a spill-over feed when it comes to the Habs games (and the Habs games only). I guess it makes sense, this is all about as little investment as possible (see my post above) from all the parties involved.

I guess Bell is hoping that subscribers on their lower tier packages in the Habs region will pay the extra $7 a month for TSN2. Just doesn't make sense to me to have Sens, Leafs, and Jets games being broadcast regionally on the regular TSN channels but charge an extra $7 a month to add TSN2 to watch Habs regional games.

Habs regional games should be included like the other 3 teams being aired without having to pay extra. What makes Habs regional different than the other 3 teams?

In the end though I'll probably end up paying the extra $7 for TSN2 since Habs games are pretty much all I watch. I'm guessing the other Canadian TV providers also do what Bell is doing with TSN2 but I haven't looked into it.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I guess Bell is hoping that subscribers on their lower tier packages in the Habs region will pay the extra $7 a month for TSN2. Just doesn't make sense to me to have Sens, Leafs, and Jets games being broadcast regionally on the regular TSN channels but charge an extra $7 a month to add TSN2 to watch Habs regional games.

Habs regional games should be included like the other 3 teams being aired without having to pay extra. What makes Habs regional different than the other 3 teams?

In the end though I'll probably end up paying the extra $7 for TSN2 since Habs games are pretty much all I watch. I'm guessing the other Canadian TV providers also do what Bell is doing with TSN2 but I haven't looked into it.

I, and others, have answered this partially earlier.

Why don't you get MTL games on TSN5? Because the Sens draw more English-speaking eyeballs so the Habs' games had to be "relegated" over to TSN2 as a spill-over.

The TSN2 situation with Bell is interesting and, quite frankly, shocking to me, but you couldn't expect a new regional channel meant to carry one specific type of programming and that only.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I, and others, have answered this partially earlier.

Why don't you get MTL games on TSN5? Because the Sens draw more English-speaking eyeballs so the Habs' games had to be "relegated" over to TSN2 as a spill-over.

The TSN2 situation with Bell is interesting and, quite frankly, shocking to me, but you couldn't expect a new regional channel meant to carry one specific type of programming and that only.

I completely understand why Habs games are on TSN2 but I'm just ticked off because IMO TSN2 should be included with the other TSN channels for anyone subscribed to them and we shouldn't have to pay extra for it. :)

I was also talking to a friend of mine using the Shaw Direct satellite TV service and he said the Habs game on TSN2 was also blacked out for him last night here in Newfoundland. :dunno:

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Is anyone getting the preseason games on CI? Telus isn't providing them. If someone out-of-region is, I'll complain to Telus and hopefully get a discount...

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Is anyone getting the preseason games on CI? Telus isn't providing them. If someone out-of-region is, I'll complain to Telus and hopefully get a discount...

Im with Telus and getting the pre season games. I'm on Telus satellite though and I assume you are on Telus optik.

bonefizzle

Dec 5, 2004
This is brutal. Last year in Kingston I got the games on Sportsnet East regional.

This year on TSN2 they are blacked out.

Contacted cogeco they said it was TSN that decides not them. Contacted TSN they saiid the NHL decides regional restrictions

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
I have a hard time believing it's the provider. If you have the channel and you live in the right area, there shouldn't be an issue. But I'm no expert in these matters.

The only difference between us is the provider. I dunno what it is but whatever I've got it on RDS. :laugh:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
This is brutal. Last year in Kingston I got the games on Sportsnet East regional.

This year on TSN2 they are blacked out.

Contacted cogeco they said it was TSN that decides not them. Contacted TSN they saiid the NHL decides regional restrictions

The habs region is said to be east of Kingston according to the blackout map on game center live. It sounds to me that you are on the border of the habs region, and these borders are not clearly defined. So in your case, what tsn might consider out of market is slightly different than Roger's. That sucks, man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad