Management UPDATE: Steve Staios GM and POHO, Dave Poulin Senior VP of Hockey Operations

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I'd be more open to Gruden if he wasn't going to be the 2nd nepotism hire for a new owner who promised "best in class".

This team has also had (mostly) bad luck with first time hires and are coming off another first time NHL head coach who couldn't get the job done/actively held the team back.

I'm sure Gruden is fine and if he's hired I'll sell myself on him but he's going to be more of the same (in a sense) for a team that has cheaped out at the position for far too long.
I think we should really avoid calling Staois a nepotism hire, assuming you are referring to him.

Andlauer isn't a newbie to NHL circles. He's been involved in the league for a long time which provides him some familiarity with people in NHL circles.

He's also not new to hockey ownership. He's had a successful OHL franchise.

He's got a positive historical relationship with Staois. Staois is a guy that played 1000 games in the league, has experience and success running an operation with total control and front office exposure in 2 Canadian NHL markets.

Nepotism is a word with basically no positive connotations. None. I don't think that applies to Staois.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Curious what everyone's thinking on how quickly thing will start to unfold this off-season

How quickly will we see the coaching changes, further front office changes, ect
The sooner they hire a new (experienced) head coach the better…… IF they wait too long, and see who becomes available after teams are eliminated, then there are MORE teams in the hunt for head coaches, and candidates that are currently at the top of their wish list have more options to choose from, and they may miss out on those candidates on their wish list.

Example, if they’re seriously looking at Berube, and he has the choice of the Senators (out of playoffs for 7 seasons) and teams that are playoff teams this year…. There is good chance he goes to a team eliminated this playoff season, and Ottawa ends up with another assistant or AHL coach with little or no experience at the NHL.

Reactions: SanderSen

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I think we should really avoid calling Staois a nepotism hire, assuming you are referring to him.

Andlauer isn't a newbie to NHL circles. He's been involved in the league for a long time which provides him some familiarity with people in NHL circles.

He's got a positive historical relationship with Staois. Staois is a guy that played 1000 games in the league, has experience and success running an operation with total control and front office exposure in 2 Canadian NHL markets.

Nepotism is a word with basically no positive connotations. None. I don't think that applies to Staois.

Nepotism is defined by Oxford as the practice among those with power or influence of favoring relatives, friends, or associates, especially by giving them jobs.

That's literally what happened here.

I'm not saying Staois doesn't bring any positives to the table, quite the contrary in some ways as his patient and buttoned up approach is a nice contrast to what we've gotten used to as a fanbase with Dorion.

But he was absolutely a friend/associate of Andlauer's who was brought in as POHO without (seemingly) much of an outside search. If Gruden is brought in despite the organization claiming they cast a wide net I think it's certainly fair to question whether this was their intention all along.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Nepotism is defined by Oxford as the practice among those with power or influence of favoring relatives, friends, or associates, especially by giving them jobs.

It's literally not.

Andlauer brought in Staios because he believes in his professional abilities. If they bring in Gruden, they're doing so because of his professional abilities. As far as I'm aware none of these men have a connection other than being involved in the same hockey organizations.

It is not nepotism to hire people because you have faith in their abilities based upon past experience. To suggest it is, is asinine.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
It's literally not.

Andlauer brought in Staios because he believes in his professional abilities. If they bring in Gruden, they're doing so because of his professional abilities. As far as I'm aware none of these men have a connection other than being involved in the same hockey organizations.

It is not nepotism to hire people because you have faith in their abilities based upon past experience. To suggest it is, is asinine.

I think we're just approaching the word nepotism differently honestly. I realize the negative connotation around the word but I think they can be the right hires while also being nepotism hires. I'm not saying nepotism = bad the way some people may be perceiving it.

I'm not anti-Staois or anti-Gruden, I've already said they'll be upgrades on what we had here (almost by default but that's for another time) and that I will sell myself on Gruden the same way I've sold myself on Staois as part of the solution.

I just think it's entirely fair to question an owner who promised best in class and casting a wide net ending up with two of his buddies in key roles.

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016

I'm not saying Staois doesn't bring any positives to the table, quite the contrary in some ways as his patient and buttoned up approach is a nice contrast to what we've gotten used to as a fanbase with Dorion.

But he was absolutely a friend/associate of Andlauer's who was brought in as POHO without (seemingly) much of an outside search. If Gruden is brought in despite the organization claiming they cast a wide net I think it's certainly fair to question whether this was their intention all along.
I think it's a stretch. The relationship is mainly business. They've worked together in the past and Andlauer thinks he's good at his job. They aren't family friends or buddies from high school or former teammates even. The relationship is based around work / competence. That's not nepotism.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I think it's a stretch. The relationship is mainly business. They've worked together in the past and Andlauer thinks he's good at his job. They aren't family friends or buddies from high school or former teammates even. The relationship is based around work / competence. That's not nepotism.

By definition it quite literally is. Nepotism doesn't just mean hiring your idiot son/nephew because they are blood related. I understand that's the connotation people ascribe to it though. That wasn't what I was trying to get across in my original post.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'd be more open to Gruden if he wasn't going to be the 2nd nepotism hire for a new owner who promised "best in class".

This team has also had (mostly) bad luck with first time hires and are coming off another first time NHL head coach who couldn't get the job done/actively held the team back.

I'm sure Gruden is fine and if he's hired I'll sell myself on him but he's going to be more of the same (in a sense) for a team that has cheaped out at the position for far too long.
Agree .. If Gruden was leading his Marlie team to a top team finish .. I'd be more open... At this point I would be VERY disappointed with the available candidates if he was their guy. I seriously doubt he's a better coach than David Bell who I think should stay in the AHL

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

I understand what nepotism is and like I said, I can't think of any way really to use the word without a negative connotation. It is often also used to mean favoritism towards the unqualified.

You might consider that Andlauer didn't favor Staois. He may simply, after a decade plus in ownership circles and exposure to probably hundreds of people that consider themselves hockey executives, have considered him best in class. And that may well have been after a year's worth of quiet background searching within his network

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Not sure what you mean by this.

Staios has worked in the NHL before but has never ran an NHL club. Closest he's come to that was being a special advisor to Ken Holland in Edmonton for a year or two.

That's not nothing, but it certainly didn't make him the obvious top candidate on paper for the GM job. There are guys in this league that have spent many years in the assistant GM role learning the ins and outs of the GM job behind a top-tier manager that haven't yet been given a chance to take over as a GM in this league, let alone becoming both the President and GM. That's usually something reserved for elite GMs that have an established track record of being an abject success in their role, not a guy with zero experience.

It's absolutely fair to question whether he was legitimately the "best in class" candidate for the job, or whether nepotism, favoritism, familiarity - whatever word you want to use, played a role in him being named GM AND President of an NHL club, despite extremely no experience in either role previously.

This logic obviously extends to Gruden too. Yes Staios and Andlauer are familiar with him, but is his really the best candidate for the job or is their relationship with him clouding their judgement? Is having a rookie GM and a rookie coach both learning on the job the right decision for a youthful team in desperate need of experience and leadership?

Reactions: DrEasy

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Not sure what you mean by this.

Staios has worked in the NHL before but has never ran an NHL club. Closest he's come to that was being a special advisor to Ken Holland in Edmonton for a year or two.

That's not nothing, but it certainly didn't make him the obvious top candidate on paper for the GM job. There are guys in this league that have spent many years in the assistant GM role learning the ins and outs of the GM job behind a top-tier manager that haven't yet been given a chance to take over as a GM in this league, let alone becoming both the President and GM. That's usually something reserved for elite GMs that have an established track record of being an abject success in their role, not a guy with zero experience.

It's absolutely fair to question whether he was legitimately the "best in class" candidate for the job, or whether nepotism, favoritism, familiarity - whatever word you want to use, played a role in him being named GM AND President of an NHL club, despite extremely no experience in either role previously.

This logic obviously extends to Gruden too. Yes Staios and Andlauer are familiar with him, but is his really the best candidate for the job or is their relationship with him clouding their judgement? Is having a rookie GM and a rookie coach both learning on the job the right decision for a youthful team in desperate need of experience and leadership?
What I mean Hale is Andlauer has had a seat at the NHL table for a decade plus. He's owned sports franchises that have had success. Staois has experience running an OHL franchise and had success with that. He's sat at the table of 2 NHL franchises, watching how they operate and he played 1000 games.

So he might not have been the obvious hire to you, or to me. But he was to the guy that hired him. And that guy that hired him has a lot of exposure to the NHL, to sports ownership, to business success and to the person he hired.

He might well be wrong too.

I just don't think it is fair to call it nepotism because there's no way to use that word without the associated negative connotation

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Seems to me like there is a difference. Personal bias may be clouding their judgement, like all of us are susceptible to, but they may still feel like they did their due diligence and are making the best decision. In their minds, it likely is the "best in class", right or wrong as that may be. Isn't nepotism more accurately described as deliberately giving the job to someone knowing that there are better candidates available?

Like a business owner passing company control down to his shithead idiot son even though his left hand man has really been running it all this time. Horrible Bosses, Jason Sudeikis/Colin Farrell scenario.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Ottawa: MacKenzie Weegar, Rasmus Andersson
Calgary: Thomas Chabot, 7th overall, Mathieu Joseph, 4th round pick, Levi Maerilainen

Sanderson - Anderson
Chychryn - Weegar
Kleven - Zub

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Ottawa: MacKenzie Weegar, Rasmus Andersson
Calgary: Thomas Chabot, 7th overall, Mathieu Joseph, 4th round pick, Levi Maerilainen

Sanderson - Anderson
Chychryn - Weegar
Kleven - Zub
This is one of the best absurd proposals I've seen in a while... enough so that I won't dilute it by getting into value and am just gonna go along with it.

IMO you would still need to move Chychrun & add an RD. Weegar plays LD, he's one of the few guys in the league who is arguably better on his off-side, and Zub is a more than capable of being part of a really good top 4 behind Sanderson, Andersson, and Weegar

Sanderson - Zub
Weegar - Andersson
Kleven - XXX

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023
Anyone know if they'll backfill Trent Manns AGM position ?and full time director of amateur scouting ?

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Anyone know if they'll backfill Trent Manns AGM position ?and full time director of amateur scouting ?
They said they were done with the front office when Poulin was hired so I don’t think they’re looking for another AGM.

Amateur scouting decisions will probably be post-draft. I think all that’s been reported is that they’ll decide if they want to keep Don Boyd as head scout after this season.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Now is when you can really start judging and evaluating Steve staios and poulin.
They are getting to work and we’ll see this off season what kind of team we’ll be getting from them.

Kinda feels like we missed out on Roy. Would have been fun.
That would have been a risky one. Probably still has a relatively short shelf life. We’ll see.
I’d like to get a guy the team can grow with and gradually get better every year for a good 5,6 years. I want smooth ride now no more bumpy please.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

- talks about how the team grew under Jacques
- Believes players care, discussed with them how they can continue to grow.
- Talked about expectations, we need to build towards those expectations by working on the details
- This was a very important year for evaluations.
- Wants to continue to grow from within, massive potential, but there are areas that need to improve and that's his job.
- Talked about bringing in the right people for the right positions.
- Hasn't told any RFA or UFA whether they will be returning yet.
- Coaching search is in process and ongoing, has spoken to a couple people, have a longer list, and want to take the time to look at everyone who may be available, but if the perfect candidate is identified they'll get it done right away.
- Alfredsson not in consideration for HC job.
- Jacques will continue in consulting role,
- Would welcome all the mbrs of the current coaching staff back but doesn't know how that will unfold.
- Goaltending: Believes they are better than their numbers, do you address that because they had off years, does improving the play in front of them make a difference,
- On committing to Korpisalo will be back, they'll be looking at everything to try and improve, but knows that Korpi will be better next year,
- On Chychrun and his next deal, he's a heck of a player, as far as moving forward, he won't discuss contracts in this forum, but they think highly of him
- Biggest disappointment - We saw when we play to our potential, we are very good, played some of our best games against contenders, pinpointing what it takes to be consistent, players need to go through disappointment to learn how to deal with that and learn what they need to do to be better.
- On Stu - Wants to make something happen every shift, when it doesn't happen, he gets frustrated. With time, he'll learn to better manage those emotions.
- Believes what Jacques brought will have lasting positive effects with the players
- Sounds like Jacques role will be wider ranging than coaching consultant,
- Norris will be ready for training camp. Expects him to be 100% both physically and mentally.
- On French being important, Staois is working on learning more french, in terms of the coaching hire, he doesn't feel language can be a major factor but it is a positive.
- on scouting philosophy - Value character and hockey sense, Top of the board is BPA but down the board they may consider positional needs
- Don Boyd is head of amateur scouting.
- Won't do anything for the sake of doing something.
- Identified names that may be available both by trade and UFA.
- Buyouts: would consider anything, but does not see any in this group at this time where it makes sense.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad