Management UPDATE: Steve Staios GM and POHO, Dave Poulin Senior VP of Hockey Operations

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Really tough off season coming up for staois. Nevermind the glaring need for a top 4 right handed and the goaltending, he needs at least one impact veteran forward - preferably a C. Insane the work he'll have to do
So... We have Stü, Pinto, Norris and Greig, why do we preferably need a center?

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023
I think what hes reffering to is 2 way forwards are normaly centers or former centers moved to the wing.

Normally centers are the responsible 2 way forwards Staois is looking for compared to Wingers who are Normally more offensive minded.

I'd try to target

Sam Bennett type , with a bunch of character , 2 way game

Reactions: SpezDispenser

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
We need a veteran C imo. That's one of many problems we have. No experience down the middle and particularly no 2 way presence to calm things down.

In the future it should be great, but now we need some leadership etc.

Plus, if Norris ever comes back, he's more suited to wing now imo. Same with Greig for the time being.

I think what hes reffering to is 2 way forwards are normaly centers or former centers moved to the wing.

Normally centers are the responsible 2 way forwards Staois is looking for compared to Wingers who are Normally more offensive minded.

I'd try to target

Sam Bennett type , with a bunch of character , 2 way game
I should have read down. Pretty much this exactly.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
We need a veteran C imo. That's one of many problems we have. No experience down the middle and particularly no 2 way presence to calm things down.

In the future it should be great, but now we need some leadership etc.

Plus, if Norris ever comes back, he's more suited to wing now imo. Same with Greig for the time being.

I should have read down. Pretty much this exactly.
Why is Norris more suited to wing? Personally I am hoping that this new surgeon fixed Norris's shoulder. He sure talked a big game in the Athletic article on Tarasenko's shoulder.

I think that Stuetzle is more suited to wing. He's not great at faceoffs so there's that. He hasn't got any size. If you saw the quote I posted from Marty St. Louis, there doesn't really seem to be a lot of game management within Stuetzle. To me, apart from the goalies, he is this year's biggest disappointment

Maybe moving him back to wing where he doesn't have the same defensive responsibility is the way to go

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Why is Norris more suited to wing? Personally I am hoping that this new surgeon fixed Norris's shoulder. He sure talked a big game in the Athletic article on Tarasenko's shoulder.

I think that Stuetzle is more suited to wing. He's not great at faceoffs so there's that. He hasn't got any size. If you saw the quote I posted from Marty St. Louis, there doesn't really seem to be a lot of game management within Stuetzle. To me, apart from the goalies, he is this year's biggest disappointment

Maybe moving him back to wing where he doesn't have the same defensive responsibility is the way to go

Sty’s brain needs more work, his legs and hands are already there

I dont think Stuztle’s defensive game is his short coming - to me he’s in the young Micheal Jordan / Nat McKinnon territory where he doesn’t use his team yes we’ll and just rushes into the offensive zone without a real plan or strategy he just goes in and tries to do it with his talent. Sri needs to learn to slow down a bit and build plays by playing in more space - he creates space with his speed but he also needs to learn to get into softer ice better and the team game will improve massively.

Stu is just young - it’s like this for almost all young players with exceptional offensive talent. They want to prove something about themselves instead of taking a team first approcach. They think their natural god given talent will win them games and not their elite brains

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

If Norris can make a full recovery, that's one thing, but I'm not convinced personally and I'd like to get him away from taking 10 faceoffs a game. Otherwise, yes, I've always like his 2 way game. Not the greatest puck distributor though.

Stu needs to get stronger. I have a feeling he f***ed the dog last off season, because he's looked weak a lot of the times. Falling over, losing puck battles. You have a hall of fame guy who had a core like an oak tree as a coach, maybe ask him to help this summer and take the next step.

Also, stu was in the first year of a contract that paid him 10 times more than he was paid last year and at times it looks like he's trying to do ten times more on the ice.

That said, he's also my most disappointing player this year.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
If Norris can make a full recovery, that's one thing, but I'm not convinced personally and I'd like to get him away from taking 10 faceoffs a game. Otherwise, yes, I've always like his 2 way game. Not the greatest puck distributor though.

Stu needs to get stronger. I have a feeling he f***ed the dog last off season, because he's looked weak a lot of the times. Falling over, losing puck battles. You have a hall of fame guy who had a core like an oak tree as a coach, maybe ask him to help this summer and take the next step.

Also, stu was in the first year of a contract that paid him 10 times more than he was paid last year and at times it looks like he's trying to do ten times more on the ice.

That said, he's also my most disappointing player this year.
Keep in mind maturity, both physically and emotionally, plays a huge role in the NHL. There's a reason people who analyze the game often talk about having experience down the middle. It's not just the experience of having played the actual games but it's also experience in in-game situations, off-season preparation, pre-game preparation (both physical and mental) and many other things.

Also consider, since coming in to the league, he's 4th in the league in Penalties Drawn, behind McDavid, Brady Tkachuk and Matthew Tkachuk, and has the 3rd highest Net Penalties (drawn minus taken) behind McDavid and Pettersson. And arguably could have considerably more penalties drawn, despite his reputation for "diving". Which, on a separate tangent, can you call him a diver when he gets fouled all of the time?

His time is coming. Physical maturity + mental maturity will make him an absolute force in the league. A summer of good training habits and a little bit of "growing up" will do wonders for him. He's just coming up on the 300 game mark, which compares favourably to around when guys like Draisaitl, Pastrnak, Rantanen, Pettersson and other stars of that calibre started to really break out.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Also consider, since coming in to the league, he's 4th in the league in Penalties Drawn, behind McDavid, Brady Tkachuk and Matthew Tkachuk, and has the 3rd highest Net Penalties (drawn minus taken) behind McDavid and Pettersson. And arguably could have considerably more penalties drawn, despite his reputation for "diving". Which, on a separate tangent, can you call him a diver when he gets fouled all of the time?

Yes. He has to cut it out of his game.

As you say, the refs will stop calling obvious fouls involving him.

He is both a high frequency victim due to his impressive skill at puck possession and a diver.

It's a challenge because refs may not notice the infractions where you don't fall to the ice - but sometimes it's way too easy and obvious to anyone watching.

BankStreetParade said:
His time is coming. Physical maturity + mental maturity will make him an absolute force in the league. A summer of good training habits and a little bit of "growing up" will do wonders for him.

I get the sense that this was his first season in his hockey career where he really struggled to meet his own expectations, and it was frustrating.

Reactions: SpezDispenser

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Quantity wise, no.

I’ve wondered how our young centers compare to the best in the league (top 30% let’s say)? They are still young and can improve, so that makes it more difficult to determine at this stage.

I suppose that question is also relative to the goals that people set. Making the playoffs (talked about a lot in here) is one thing, winning a Cup or making deep playoff runs multiple years in a row is another.

To be clear, I haven’t reached a conclusion, but it is something that I ponder.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I’ve wondered how our young centers compare to the best in the league (top 30% let’s say)? They are still young and can improve, so that makes it more difficult to determine at this stage.

I suppose that question is also relative to the goals that people set. Making the playoffs (talked about a lot in here) is one thing, winning a Cup or making deep playoff runs multiple years in a row is another.

To be clear, I haven’t reached a conclusion, but it is something that I ponder.

Assuming all are healthy, and we are talking about right now:

Teams with better centres:
-Colorado
-Edmonton
-Toronto
-Vancouver
-Florida
-Tampa Bay
-New York Rangers
-Dallas
-New Jersey
-Carolina
-Los Angeles
-New York Islanders
-Las Vegas
-Pittsburgh

Teams with comparable centres:
-Buffalo
-Calgary
-Nashville
-St. Louis

Teams with worse centres:
-Montreal
-Boston
-Detroit
-Winnipeg
-Chicago
-San Jose
-Columbus
-Minnesota
-Seattle
-Anaheim
-Arizona
-Washington
-Philadelphia

I'm definitely skewing towards #1C as having more impact than a #3C.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

With Norris the question seems to boil down to his shoulder for some but I'm quite sure why a winger can get away with a wonky shoulder any better than a center

Stu to me looks like a better pick distributer from center, but does have some areas he needs to improve at. Faceoffs have been coming along, his first 3 seasons he was around 40% and this year he's around 47, which you can work with, but it's the progress that's promising. I don't watch enough MTL to comment on Stu relative to Suzuki, all I can do is look at the stats, usage seems pretty similar, both guys a touch above 50% in oz starts, both guys seeing similar toi Qoc, neither guy gets a ton of PK time, both guys have similar giveaways and takeaway numbers, Stu hits more but they block shots at a similar clip.

All that said, I'll concede Suzuki is likely better defensively, but the question is how did he get there, and can Stüget there; I personally think the best thing long term is to groom Stü into a two way force by keeping him at center and going through some growing pains along the way.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Assuming all are healthy, and we are talking about right now:

Teams with better centres:
-Colorado
-Edmonton
-Toronto
-Vancouver
-Florida
-Tampa Bay
-New York Rangers
-Dallas
-New Jersey
-Carolina
-Los Angeles
-New York Islanders
-Las Vegas
-Pittsburgh

Teams with comparable centres:
-Buffalo
-Calgary
-Nashville
-St. Louis

Teams with worse centres:
-Montreal
-Boston
-Detroit
-Winnipeg
-Chicago
-San Jose
-Columbus
-Minnesota
-Seattle
-Anaheim
-Arizona
-Washington
-Philadelphia

I'm definitely skewing towards #1C as having more impact than a #3C.
Even attempting to put this together is admirable. I was much more lazy and just asked the question. LOL.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
This is the offseason to explore trading Joseph, instead of trying to pay to give him away last summer. I'm not a big advocate of moving a guy who skates like him and kills penalties but at least it makes sense now if you can get some good-to-great assets for him.

I can’t see any scenario where it would make sense to trade Joseph… let’s say you can get a 2nd and 3rd, whoopie-doo now you need 2 Josephs

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023
Curious what everyone's thinking on how quickly thing will start to unfold this off-season

How quickly will we see the coaching changes, further front office changes, ect

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Curious what everyone's thinking on how quickly thing will start to unfold this off-season

I am assuming they are gonna wait until the first round of the playoffs are over to see if any other interesting coaches become available.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

I hope Staois actually lays out a plan at the end of season press conference. One thing I think the fans have really appreacited is having Jacqies Martin talk to us about he team and individuals like we are knowledgeable fans who can’t be lied to or misled and that’s been really the only good thing about the season - finally we are being truthful and realistic about the team. Whatever the real verdict is on this team through Staois eyes - just be honest.

Don’t think we are a playoff team next year - honesty

You want to start over and need major changes that will take 2-3 years - honesty

Want to move major piece - honesty

Want an experienced NHL playoff coach or can’t afford one or even one that walks on water- honesty

Just don’t bullshit us as fans. It’s been shit here for so long the only thing this team has going for it is the new managershave been judged to be straight and honest and real.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021

I guess slow but consistent. As people become available. Could be everywhere too. The whole org needs a boost.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
This is the offseason to explore trading Joseph, instead of trying to pay to give him away last summer. I'm not a big advocate of moving a guy who skates like him and kills penalties but at least it makes sense now if you can get some good-to-great assets for him.

Joseph is a good 3rd liner and while his numbers could drop next year he'll always be a valuable player with his speed, tenacity, PKing and defensive game.

We need more Josephs, not less.

Tkachuk - Stutzle - Giroux
Greig - Norris - Batherson
??????? - Pinto - Joseph

Should look to add a similar player to Joseph to round out a nice shutdown line.

Heck we may need another top 9 winger as well if Norris' shoulder doesn't get fixed and Greig needs to be shifted to center to replace him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad