Management UPDATE: Steve Staios GM and POHO, Dave Poulin Senior VP of Hockey Operations

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Staois has alot on his plate this summer

The biggest by far is Changing the Losing mindset of this team

This team of Losers .... it's almost like they're totally cool with not making the playoffs.

Like they care but not really, as it's not the end of the world if they miss with their guaranteed 7 figure contracts, over multiple years.

What will make them really Care ?

How does Steve Staios get them to be keyed-up and self driven ...? Biggest question he needs answers to
It will take 2 off seasons for Staois to fix things, as a lot to be done.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
It’s really hard to know where Dorion ended and the pro-scouts began, but regardless it’s nice to see changes.

We’ll have to wait and see what happens but so far I think we’re in good hands with Staios.
We don't have enough evidence to draw any conclusions at this time with respect to Staios as POHO/GM.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
I’m not sure there’s been more than 2/3 acquisition from the pro scouting side of thing in the past decade, outside of Giroux, that have been positives. Demelo would be the best by a county mile.

McArthur was great, he jumped over a year before Clark took over.

Stepan
Gudbranson
J. Brown
Tierny
M. Murray
Korpisalo
DBC
Chychrun
Duclair
Legwant
Demelo
Duchene
Chiasson
Phaneuf
Brassard
Pyatt (Boucher gets credit here)
Wingles - Was not good, but came during a good season, so perfectly fine
Stalberg - Same as Wingles
Burrows
Thomsoson
Oduya
Bowdker
Gibbons
Zaitsev
Hainsey
Lindberg
Pajaarvi
C. Brown
Ennis

Namestikov
Rielly
Dadonov
Joseph
Watson (wasn’t needed, whatsoever, but filled his role fine)

Anisimov
Galchenyuk
Mete
Gambrell
Gauthier

It’s a real hodge podge of guys, where it really isn’t surprising it never worked out.
Pyatt and Phaneauf were nothing short of garbage.

At the time I’d say about 70% of the board defended these junk moves.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I have no idea who they will hire but I know this - there's no way they made these moves on the pro scouting side without having replacements lined up and ready to go. Not long after the regular season is over, I imagine that their replacements will be named. If there is one thing we have learned about Staios, he is pretty deliberate in what he does, and doesn't do things impulsively...

Reactions: Dionysus

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023
I have no idea who they will hire but I know this - there's no way they made these moves on the pro scouting side without having replacements lined up and ready to go. Not long after the regular season is over, I imagine that their replacements will be named. If there is one thing we have learned about Staios, he is pretty deliberate in what he does, and doesn't do things impulsively...
I wonder if he's hiring only replacements or also expanding the pro Scouting department as we know they have the smallest Front office in the entire league / bare bones front office.

Reactions: DrEasy and Dionysus

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Dave Poulin talked about the deadline and need for Staois to build trust and understand the relationships around him and Staois needing time to build trust with others - but Staois probably also didn’t trust his own scouting staff or former coaches and maybe we didn’t see a lot of deadline moves because Staois didn’t like the advice and evaluations he was getting from within his own team and he is resetting the table and going to battle this summer with trusted lieutenants.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Dave Poulin talked about the deadline and need for Staois to build trust and understand the relationships around him and Staois needing time to build trust with others - but Staois probably also didn’t trust his own scouting staff or former coaches and maybe we didn’t see a lot of deadline moves because Staois didn’t like the advice and evaluations he was getting from within his own team and he is resetting the table and going to battle this summer with trusted lieutenants.
This is very normal - you see it happen in the corporate world all the time. When a new CEO takes over, he/she brings in their team to senior management roles. As a result, a whole bunch of VPs get canned. Some of them might have actually been good but it doesn't matter - they weren't hired by the current CEO. We will never know what happened internally - those scouts may have given good advice to Dorion that he ignored. (I would bet a substantial amount of money that this happened on several occasions.)

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023
And Pyatt was a free 4th liner with a near league min deal that was defensively responsible on a team that made it to the ECF, weird one to complain about.
Mickelbot,

You think they'll expand the pro Scouting side or just backfill with replacements ?

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
I think this was more or less inevitable. Because Staios got hired at the end of September, I don’t think they wanted to let people go then because a) it’s hard to find replacements as jobs are already set and b) it’s not great for the people you let go either because they can’t find jobs as easily for the same reasons.

This was probably exactly what they intended to do with Dorion and DJ until they were backed into a corner and had to pull the trigger early.

Reactions: Loach

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Staois has alot on his plate this summer

The biggest by far is Changing the Losing mindset of this team

This team of Losers .... it's almost like they're totally cool with not making the playoffs.

Like they care but not really, as it's not the end of the world if they miss with their guaranteed 7 figure contracts, over multiple years.

What will make them really Care ?

How does Steve Staios get them to be keyed-up and self driven ...? Biggest question he needs answers to

Trading Norris was the move that made the most sense. Shake up the core.

But that doesn't seem likely now.

Can't move Batherson, he's been too damned good. Tkachuk and Stutzle are untouchable as long as they want to stay with the team. Giroux will be here as long as he wants to be. Pinto and Greig are too new to make a difference in attitude if they're traded.

Chabot might be the guy they need to move if they want to really send a message. But it would have been nice to make a significant trade up front as well.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

Can't move Batherson, he's been too damned good. Tkachuk and Stutzle are untouchable as long as they want to stay with the team. Giroux will be here as long as he wants to be. Pinto and Greig are too new to make a difference in attitude if they're traded.

Chabot might be the guy they need to move if they want to really send a message. But it would have been nice to make a significant trade up front as well.
This is the offseason to explore trading Joseph, instead of trying to pay to give him away last summer. I'm not a big advocate of moving a guy who skates like him and kills penalties but at least it makes sense now if you can get some good-to-great assets for him.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Mickelbot,

You think they'll expand the pro Scouting side or just backfill with replacements ?
I definitely have zero insight into that, but they have been expanding elsewhere, so my best guess is they could add someone

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Mickelbot,

TSN1200 reported this morning that Mctavish's dad was part of the trade deadline meetings.

Sounds like there has been a lot going on in the background that the team has chosen to not talk about just yet.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
They should have been fired the moment Dorion traded a high 2nd for a cap dump in Stepan, but I guess better late than never.
lol I remember getting a notification on my phone as I was driving back home from golf town.(or at least from that area but I only go to that area for golf town) I remember the intersection I was at. And I thought we had gotten the second round pick for taking stepan. Then when I got home I realized this was false

Pyatt and Phaneauf were nothing short of garbage.

At the time I’d say about 70% of the board defended these junk moves.
Phaneuf did a job. Wasn’t good. And he wasn’t good with Cody Ceci.

He was prime Chris pronger compared to gudbrannson and Josh Brown tho

• Haha
Reactions: inthewings

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023

I think Chabot & Batherson are the ones they should target to trade to shake up this core.

This team has too many long term commitments over a span of multiple years.

Too much stability for players on this team. They don't deliver what's expected of them.

Complacency has set in with this players, their country club atmosphere is the biggest problem of all, everyone's is way too snug .. they need to shake it up

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
I think Chabot & Batherson are the ones they should target to trade to shake up this core.

This team has too many long term commitments over a span of multiple years.

Too much stability for players on this team. They don't deliver what's expected of them.

Complacency has set in with this players, their country club atmosphere is the biggest problem of all, everyone's is way too snug .. they need to shake it up
IMO, you have to do everything you can to surround this core so they can have success: proper coaching, support players, goaltending etc. If you can get the team playing well, then if you want to move on from someone in the core, you’re dealing from a position of strength ie they have actual value. Trading a Chabot or Norris right now, you’re just going to acquire a bad contract in return.

I suppose you can move Batherson now as he’s been very good, but why would you? He’s been great under Jacques, has a good contract and we’re weak on the wing. It would be a move for the sake of making a move. Only way I’d consider it is for a young RD with a lot of upside, but I don’t know that you’re getting that offer.

Reactions: Relapsing

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Really tough off season coming up for staois. Nevermind the glaring need for a top 4 right handed and the goaltending, he needs at least one impact veteran forward - preferably a C. Insane the work he'll have to do

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad