NESN UPDATE - NESN’s Jack Edwards announces retirement

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Jaffe is entertaining, but not that knowledgable IMO.

Razor is knowledgeable but not that entertaining IMO. Just a personal peeve, but I'm not a fan of on-air personalities who frequently say, "Listen..." We're already listening bud, you don't need to say listen.

I'd like to see a more recent former player get a look here. Someone with experience and some insight into today's NHL, and some of the skills (like the different shot releases) and tactics (stretch plays, FO plays, etc), and who knows some of the players personally and can talk about this quirk or that habit.
Lucic would be an incredible color guy

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

Razor is knowledgeable but not that entertaining IMO. Just a personal peeve, but I'm not a fan of on-air personalities who frequently say, "Listen..." We're already listening bud, you don't need to say listen.

I'd like to see a more recent former player get a look here. Someone with experience and some insight into today's NHL, and some of the skills (like the different shot releases) and tactics (stretch plays, FO plays, etc), and who knows some of the players personally and can talk about this quirk or that habit.
You know who would be awesome and who would love it here? Milan Lucic. But I think he still has at least one more year in him.

Other than him I don't see any of the retired Bruins players of the last decade or so being great tv personalities. Shawn Thornton actually could but I believe he's gone the front office route and not the media route.

Forester65

Jan 31, 2019
@quietbruinfan - Faust had an impossible task taking over from Bob Miller and was accepted in LA.

Curt Gowdy took the Patriots radio job at the age of 68 and it was so bad he was replaced by a young Dale Arnold and Gowdy was a legend but couldn't do it anymore.

Jack is 67 and he is not the same. NESN has to look long-term and Faust is 34 and is a known quality to them.

Father Time is cruel :cry:
Father time is also undefeated.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I love Jack and have never understood the hate he gets here. IMO he is the best blend of game knowledge (he even checks for the right pronunciation of player’s names!) love of the sport and love of the Bruins. Whoever ends up with the job has a mighty big microphone to fill.

Yet it’s clear that he has a health issue that unfortunately affects his ability to speak clearly. If it was anything else it could probably be worked around so he could continue as PBP announcer.

If he is replaced I just hope the Bruins & NESN treat him with the respect he has earned & deserves.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Drop off was noticeable last season, my wife who is half listening typically even noticed it.

If they do move on, and they should, I wish him well.

I don't think Jack would work well in a studio role either like Dale. Dale is what he is, bland and vanilla, and I mean that with no disrespect. That's the type of personality needed for that. Look at Liam McHugh on the national broadcasts. Boring and vanilla but just does his job.

I actually think Sophia did a pretty decent job filling in for Dale last season, and could grow into the role.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
1687544758601.png

Reactions: GordonHowe

Ace0813

Bleed Black & Gold
Aug 28, 2008
New Hampshire

I also can't stand the "talk about x topic" prompt. No, you can ask the person you're interviewing a specific question. "Talk about x" is just lazy interviewing.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
3 weeks ago the LA Kings parted ways with play-by-play announcer Alex Faust.

Faust is no stranger to Boston or NESN and is only 34.

Tom Werner is very familiar with his work and he calls a good game.

NESN doesn't want to fire Jack and I sense they want him to take over Dale Arnold's role.

But Faust is now a free agent and he has Boston DNA............

Many want Dave Goucher to return but he told Chad Finn last week he has adapted to living in Vegas.

“The quality of life is great,” said Goucher, who lives in Red Rock Canyon area, 20 minutes away from downtown Las Vegas and The Strip.

“The weather’s great. There’s no real traffic. It’s not like the traffic back home, it’s not like legitimate traffic. Here, 20 minutes is usually 20 minutes, not 20 minutes turning into three days.

“I drive five minutes, literally five minutes to our practice rink. There’s a Dunkin’s in Boston every block, every block and a half. Here, there’s one on the way. So, if I stop there, that’s seven minutes to the practice rink.”

The harsh reality is age has caught up to Jack.

:popcorn:

I think Jack would be fine in that role, as Dale was.

He loves play by play, but perhaps it's time.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I have never been a fan to say the least, and with his speech and memory problems, it would be a good time to replace Jack. Faust is smooth and good-if bland. Don't think he is a match for the market though. Much as it pains me, this market probably needs a bit of a homer.

Jack Edwards calls play by play for the Boston Bruins. Not AZ Yotes or for a national audience.

Most of us know that going in, and we like our homers. (I must say, I never cared for Johnny Most.)

Critics rarely credit Edwards for pointing out the excellence of an opposing team or opposing players. He also knows the league well.

If Dr. Faustus calls a smooth game, fine. Just the same, I prefer passion and knowledge of the game, knowledge of Bruins DNA.

Good luck to Jack regardless. It was a blast while it lasted.

"Who has more fun than us?"

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Jack Edwards calls play by play for the Boston Bruins. Not AZ Yotes or for a national audience.

Most of us know that going in, and we like our homers. (I must say, I never cared for Johnny Most.)

Critics rarely credit Edwards for pointing out the excellence of an opposing team or opposing players. He also knows the league well.

If Dr. Faustus calls a smooth game, fine. Just the same, I prefer passion and knowledge of the game, knowledge of Bruins DNA.

Good luck to Jack regardless. It was a blast while it lasted.

"Who has more fun than us?"
You went there and took all my Faust made a deal with the Devil jokes. ...:D

Reactions: GordonHowe

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
I hope Jack is ok health wise.

But for the funny or iconic moments he’s brought there are offsetting episodes that were embarrassing, or overly dramatic, cliche or just plain annoying. Time to go.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Really?

I think he's one of the most knowledgeable in the game.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
You went there and took all my Faust made a deal with the Devil jokes. ...:D

Sorry about that.

I don't believe he's still around, but the Penguins announcer (radio or tv?) from the 90s was annoying as hell.

He had all of these stupid, nonsensical phrases when they scored. Like, "He took the roof off the cab and shot the bacon," or some crap like that.

I hated that guy.

You could go after him.

Go on. Go after him.

It would be fun.

Reactions: Gordoff

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Sorry about that.

I don't believe he's still around, but the Penguins announcer (radio or tv?) from the 90s was annoying as hell.

He had all of these stupid, nonsensical phrases when they scored. Like, "He took the roof off the cab and shot the bacon," or some crap like that.

I hated that guy.

You could go after him.

Go on. Go after him.

It would be fun.
Don't worry, I got a billion of em. ...
"Scratch my back with a hacksaw", but I liked Mike Lange who did mainly radio but TV too. He was generally all about those catch phrases and not great otherwise, but I liked him anyway.

I grew up with Cusick who showed everyone you could have good knowledge of the game and rules, be a homer, and not go over the top or be disrespectful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad