upd: Laine has 16 goals (5 tonight) in last 10 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
Well, if Im not wrong, before that crazy November, he got 9 goals in his last 42 games? Maybe teams forgot about him.

He has 24 goals in his last 42 games before november... Or are we mixing playoffs and regular season?

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
Yes. I included playoffs because I thought it was a part of his cold streak.

He played good in the playoffs and the math would still be incorrect. He was unlucky and had a dozen post shots.

before november:
Last 42gp playoffs included 11g 12a
Last 42gp regular season 24g 12a

Reactions: Halberdier

Asmola

Jul 12, 2017
Laine will make Ovechkin's 20-old-season look really bad if he keeps scoring the way he has. :sarcasm: 100 goals before Ovie had 20.:nod:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Is this necessary? I like Laine, but this kind of stuff makes me want to root against him.

Matthews would obviously be up there (likely 1st) in goals if he didnt get hurt. I also like how none of this Laine vs Matthews stuff comes up when Matthews is on fire and Laine is cold.

Who knows if Matthews would have, he was on the beginning of one of his cold streaks right when he got hurt.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Laine will make Ovechkin's 20-old-season look really bad if he keeps scoring the way he has. :sarcasm: 100 goals before Ovie had 20.:nod:
D+2 seasons:

Ovi = 52g 106p
Laine = 44g 70p

Nothing Laine could do will make Ovi look bad

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

He definitely has a pretty big lead on goals as far as age goes. If he can stay healthy and have a long career who knows what could happen.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
He played good in the playoffs and the math would still be incorrect. He was unlucky and had a dozen post shots.

Lol no. He was completely ineffective scoring wise and was absolutely shut down. He could not even get into position to score half as much as in the regular season games. Playing it down to bad luck is just fanboyism pure and simple. Before the playoffs in last spring, he talked big but failed to provide. Laine has yet to prove he can score in the NHL post-season where the tempo is fast and space is tight. It's a whole different ordeal than dominating a floating Blues team in a regular season game.

Last edited:

Nate070

Sep 15, 2010
Maldives
Lol no. He was completely ineffective scoring wise and was absolutely shut down. He could not even get into position to score half as much in the regular season games. Playing it down to bad luck is just fanboyism pure and simple. Before the playoffs in last spring, he talked big but failed to provide. Laine has yet to prove he can score in the NHL post-season where the tempo is fast and space is tight. It's a whole different ordeal than dominating a floating Blues team in a regular season game.
haha, must be tough to be you right now

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Not that I think laine is going to make ovy look bad but you are comparing a 20 year old season to a 19 year old season in ur post

Which is what the poster he quoted was basically saying.

What he is doing , goal wise, is historically rare and impressive.

Reactions: Fairview

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
As a stat addict this is one of the reasons why I like following hockey more than soccer since so many stats are counted in hockey.

A bit of a personal anecdote, but here it goes.

I played soccer for 18 years in my life (4 years as an adult). I was a defensive defenceman and I hardly ever scored goals, nor was I relied upon to carry the ball up or make outlet passes (these weren’t my strengths). Usually we never had any other stats being quantifiably counted besides goals, but we had one important game against a really good Estonian team.

We had so many players and personnel attending that game (outside of the one’s on the field) that our coach assigned all the reserve players to gather information on where our team won and lost possession.

Our team lost the hard fought game 2-1. Normally our lone goal scorer or our goalie would’ve received the MVP award from such a game, but after this game our coach could see that there was a certain part in the field which was full of battles that our team had won and the oppising team had lost. This was the part of the field which I was defending, and the stats showed what I had been able to count during the game (like in most games). I had been able to make 15 successful slide tackles and had in other ways been able to win possession for our team.

Because our coach could also see this from the raw data, I received the MVP award from that game, which meant a lot to me since I was generally viewed as a non-skilled player. After that though it seemed that I garnered more appreciation for what I did.

I was the soccer equivalent of being a Kris Russell. All hustle without any fancy moves, along with a ****load of bruises due to my aggressive play style.

For that one day, the underappreciated Kris Russell got the respect he had earned (only to be forgotten quickly the next game when I started fumbling with the ball again).

Such is life.

Anyway, I hope the big soccer leagues would also start counting statistics more and having them openly available, just like the NHL counts goals, assists, +/-, hits, blocks, take aways, give aways etc.

what a neat anecdote. cheers!

Reactions: ijk

julkki

Oct 27, 2015
Lol no. He was completely ineffective scoring wise and was absolutely shut down. He could not even get into position to score half as much as in the regular season games. Playing it down to bad luck is just fanboyism pure and simple. Before the playoffs in last spring, he talked big but failed to provide. Laine has yet to prove he can score in the NHL post-season where the tempo is fast and space is tight. It's a whole different ordeal than dominating a floating Blues team in a regular season game.

I understand your point, must have been a complete nightmare for you to see the box score of the last night's game..

Asmola

Jul 12, 2017
D+2 seasons:

Ovi = 52g 106p
Laine = 44g 70p

Nothing Laine could do will make Ovi look bad

Which is what the poster he quoted was basically saying.

What he is doing , goal wise, is historically rare and impressive.
I ment 20-yeard-old season (season that player is mostly 20), not D+2. But anyway, Laine also had better G/60 D+2 season too.:thumbu:

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B

It will be fun watching these mental gymnastics over his career. Chickens are coming home to roost for good ole tapi.

Not worried about Laine, but the most prominent haters should really start monitoring their salt levels to avoid hypernatremia. You will need it because Laine is going to put all your opinions to shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad