Unsportmanship

Hockeylover

Oct 5, 2005
We were trailing by 1-0 with 4 seconds left in the final period when we were one-man short. We wanted to get rid of the remaining penalty time by scoring in our own net. We scored and they did cancel the penalty. The bad news is that they gave an unsportmanship penalty to the guy who scored in the net. Someone can explain? Thanks. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Sixty Six

Feb 28, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
We were trailing by 1-0 with 4 seconds left in the final period when we were one-man short. We wanted to get rid of the remaining penalty time by scoring in our own net. We scored and they did cancel the penalty. The bad news is that they gave an unsportmanship penalty to the guy who scored in the net. Someone can explain? Thanks. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

if there were 4 seconds left why did it matter if you got rid of the penalty time... you have no shot at 2 goals in 4 seconds and you coulda taken a desperation shot down 1 atleast... i find this stupid but not deserving of a penalty:help:

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
Yeah I don't understand your logic either. You were probably going to lose, what you wanted to really make sure you were going to lose?:dunno:

mac-sniper

Aug 25, 2006
i hope you dont even coach timbits hockey...are you for real? you scored on your own net?

guy in the spring showcase, no names mentioned, (first round pick pf philadalphia and a HUGE controversy in jr hockey hint hint) would fire pucks in his own net just to go to a shootout. funny as hell.

Hockeylover

Oct 5, 2005
Yeah I don't understand your logic either. You were probably going to lose, what you wanted to really make sure you were going to lose?:dunno:

It's immaterial to know why we wanted to score. We were going to overtime, so did not carry on the OT with that penalty. We wanted to "wash it out".

mac-sniper

Aug 25, 2006
what the eff are you talking about? you weren't going into overtime if you scored on your own net.

do u know the of the game? back to the ponnnndddd roooookiiiee.

Hockeylover

Oct 5, 2005
what the eff are you talking about? you weren't going into overtime if you scored on your own net.

do u know the of the game? back to the ponnnndddd roooookiiiee.

Sorry you'll feel and look stupid, but... it was the final series which consisted in two games. We won the first game, and the other was wining in the final seconds of the second games. Since both teams won, we were going OT. It was 2-0 with 5 seconds or so left, and wanted to wash out the penalty by scoring in our own net. It worked too well... :cry: Obviously, our league wants hockey to be as least strategic as possible. The guys who are too smart get punished!

mac-sniper

Aug 25, 2006
Sorry you'll feel and look stupid, but... it was the final series which consisted in two games. We won the first game, and the other was wining in the final seconds of the second games. Since both teams won, we were going OT. It was 2-0 with 5 seconds or so left, and wanted to wash out the penalty by scoring in our own net. It worked too well... :cry: Obviously, our league wants hockey to be as least strategic as possible. The guys who are too smart get punished!

you said you were trailing 1-0.

1datsyuk3*

The guys who are too smart get punished!

O yea, you guys are regular geniuses...
what's the worst scenario of a PP against you? They score, but ya just go ahead and do that for them..smart but the real ? is
if the score is 2-0 you are not going to go to OT...

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
If you were going to a winner take all OT, why would the penalty carry over?

BCCHL inactive

Your real question should be directed towards the league you play in. If it's a 2-game series that features an overtime period if both teams win one game, that overtime period should have nothing carrying over from Game 2. That means you start overtime at 0-0 with no penalties on the clock. It's basically a new game, just with sudden death rules.

All situations aside, as a ref, I would definitely assess the Unsportsmanlike minor. You're trying to wipe out a penalty by scoring on yourself. I shouldn't have to tell you why intentionally putting the puck into your own net is bad for the game. Doing so in order to cancel a penalty your team took, frankly, insults the referee. It's not strategy, it's stupidity.

MoonlightGraham

Oct 28, 2005
Montreal
I think what he means is that it was a 2-game series. They had won the first game, they were certain to lose the second, so the series was going to be decided by an overtime period. Since it didn't matter if they lost 1-0 or 2-0, they scored in their own net so that they would not start the overtime period that would decide the series one man down. Am I right?

Anyway, I don't know if I would call doing that unsportsmanlike, but it's not brilliant either. I would not have congratulated that player. It leads to a situation where if a team is down and certain to lose the game they can just do whatever they want at the end of the game and score in their own net until the overtime period starts.

Tbone54

Jul 3, 2006
Nah his story makes sense..

It was a Best of 2 games series.. His team won the first game.

They were down 1-0 in the second game.

The tie break procedure was if each team won a game was to go to Overtime.

So if the penalty still exsisted then they would of gone to the series tie break overtime with a man down.

Makes sense to me...

maybe he should of made it look like more of a pass? lol pretend to trip over when he did it...

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
Nah his story makes sense..

It was a Best of 2 games series.. His team won the first game.

They were down 1-0 in the second game.

The tie break procedure was if each team won a game was to go to Overtime.

So if the penalty still exsisted then they would of gone to the series tie break overtime with a man down.

Makes sense to me...

maybe he should of made it look like more of a pass? lol pretend to trip over when he did it...

OK I get it now, eventhough his initial post is a completely different tale. But yeah, I would've just gone to OT even with a kill, but that's just me.

RedK

Dec 2, 2002
Visit site
You deliberately scored on your own goalie?

There is no excuse for that. Ever. You had already lost the game, so you decided to clinch it by doing something like that? If your goalie never plays with you again, he'd be justified.

RJ8812*

what the hell has happened to minor hockey since i finished my career?

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
What kind of wacky tournament has a best of 2 series?
They do it for the Champions League in soccer in Europe. That's just because home field advantage is such a big deal in soccer and there's no way to determine who should have it.

It doesn't make a lot of sense in hockey, and if they had a best of 2 why wouldn't they just use goal differential in case of a split?

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Yet another post in this section that is either 1- a huge lie or 2- full of inaccuracies. In any two game series with overtime that I know of there is no carry over. The overtime is a new game. It would have to be. What nonsense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad