Unpopular Video Game Opinions

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
skyrim is boring as hell

perfect dark 64 > goldeneye

nba jam snes is the goat mls game
I can see where people think Skyrim is boring. Some people don't like those games.

I actually agree Perfect Dark 64 was better than Goldeneye.

NBA Jam is the GOAT "MLS" game? :huh:

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
I can see where people think Skyrim is boring. Some people don't like those games.
I love RPGs and can get engrossed by them fairly easily. I think Fallout is great, but I got bored of Skyrim so quickly. After about 20 or 30 hours it felt like a drag to finish the game. I just grinded out the guilds, finished the main quest and called it a day. A lot of people say that the game is way better with Mods, but I didn't like the the game enough to go back to it to play with mods.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I love RPGs and can get engrossed by them fairly easily. I think Fallout is great, but I got bored of Skyrim so quickly. After about 20 or 30 hours it felt like a drag to finish the game. I just grinded out the guilds, finished the main quest and called it a day. A lot of people say that the game is way better with Mods, but I didn't like the the game enough to go back to it to play with mods.
That's funny, I am the complete opposite. I hate the Fallout games but I love the Elder Scrolls games. :laugh:

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I agree only to the extent that it feels like MOST games do this now whereas it used to be a more unique thing.

A lot of these games are designed with a linear story mode that you can hop on and off of whenever you want and explore the little world they built for you in the meantime. It's nice having that freedom, as long as there's a quality story to be played.

The last line there is the key.

It seems like most modern open world games forego a quality main story line in exchange for more fetch quests.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Examples?

Well, I haven't played a ton of new releases this year, but Mass Effect Andromeda and Horizon Zero Dawn really stick out as suffering for this. At least in my mind.

Since we're in the Unpopular Opinions thread anyway, I guess that's a good segway into my next unpopular opinion:

Horizon Zero Dawn was booooooooring. :laugh:

Last edited:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Examples?
Mass Effect 3. The story was pretty good, but the whole concept of doing fetch quests to improve your "War asset" score was dumb.

Horizon Zero Dawn was booooooooring. :laugh:
What was boring about it?

I found GTA V to be pretty boring. The GTA series never really stuck with me, and while it was cool that GTA V was so vast and expansive, it was just with a lot of what felt like filler without a lot going on that kept me interested. I also didn't particularly like any of the characters or had any investment in what they were doing.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Horizon Zero Dawn took FOREVER to get going. But after that I loved it. However going back to it (got the new DLC) it just seems like I have already done all these things but I am just in a snowy environment. Basically... it's repetitive.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
What was boring about it?

To be honest, everything outside of the really cool premise. visuals, and the combat itself (which was pretty good).

The story line took a LONG time to get going, as Blueton mentioned.

Outside of a few neat side quests, there was just a stifling amount of fetch-style quests, exploring, and grinding. I don't mind a little exploring here and there, but it was just really repetitive.

Aloy herself, while a total badass, was IMO an exceptionally boring main character compared to the characters around her. She felt like a sort of half attempt to have you play as a character, and a half attempt to have you play as an avatar...and it just fell short in my opinion. Her personality was flat.

To be fair, this game is very heavily influenced by the Far Cry formula - a style which I'm not a fan of, personally...although I will say it does work better in a more interesting scenario like Horizon's world.

I thought the ending to the game was actually very interesting, but the journey to get there was a slog.

Basically... it's repetitive.

TL;DR, this. :laugh:

Not to be rude to anyone that liked it, of course, but I felt sort of like it was generic action RPG #3 with a really cool coat of paint. I don't think it deserved the hype it got, but that's obviously just one (oddly jaded as of late) guy's opinion

Last edited:

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
To be honest, everything outside of the really cool premise. visuals, and the combat itself (which was pretty good).

The story line took a LONG time to get going, as Blueton mentioned.

Outside of a few neat side quests, there was just a stifling amount of fetch-style quests, exploring, and grinding. I don't mind a little exploring here and there, but it was just really repetitive.

Aloy herself, while a total badass, was IMO an exceptionally boring main character compared to the characters around her. She felt like a sort of half attempt to have you play as a character, and a half attempt to have you play as an avatar...and it just fell short in my opinion. Her personality was flat.

To be fair, this game is very heavily influenced by the Far Cry formula - a style which I'm not a fan of, personally...although I will say it does work better in a more interesting scenario like Horizon's world.

I thought the ending to the game was actually very interesting, but the journey to get there was a slog.

TL;DR, this. :laugh:

Not to be rude to anyone that liked it, of course, but I felt sort of like it was generic action RPG #3 with a really cool coat of paint. I don't think it deserved the hype it got, but that's obviously just one (oddly jaded as of late) guy's opinion
You really should try AC:O if you get the chance. its basically what everyone complains about in games like these and does it right. Got a really good fairly deep story, open world (with sections of the map saying you should be X level but you can still go there) and most importantly a GREAT variety of quests / side quests. And theres a lot of them. The combat is fantastic too. The controls are very Horizon-esque but the game plays very differntly.

You may be burnt out on games like that and I get it, but worth a play sometime if you are interested.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
You really should try AC:O if you get the chance. its basically what everyone complains about in games like these and does it right. Got a really good fairly deep story, open world (with sections of the map saying you should be X level but you can still go there) and most importantly a GREAT variety of quests / side quests. And theres a lot of them. The combat is fantastic too. The controls are very Horizon-esque but the game plays very differntly.

You may be burnt out on games like that and I get it, but worth a play sometime if you are interested.

I've been tempted, actually. Was eyeballing the sale. :laugh:

Reactions: Lancer

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Mass Effect 3. The story was pretty good, but the whole concept of doing fetch quests to improve your "War asset" score was dumb.
I disagree. Gathering resources for the war effort is far from dumb.

on the topic of open world: Mount & Blade: Warband is better than any open world RPG released in the last decade. Bannerlord is going to revolutionize the whole genre and we'll enter the golden age.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I tried to get into mount and blade but the graphics and gameplay are just so bad.

I fought in the colliseum or whatever in my first hour or so of play and I just got bored of winning matches with no end in sight. I kept thinking "is this the right game? Did I get it mixed up with another game or accidently buy a knockoff?" but no, it was the game everybody was talking about.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I tried to get into mount and blade but the graphics and gameplay are just so bad.

I fought in the colliseum or whatever in my first hour or so of play and I just got bored of winning matches with no end in sight. I kept thinking "is this the right game? Did I get it mixed up with another game or accidently buy a knockoff?" but no, it was the game everybody was talking about.
The original is easy. Warband is not.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I disagree. Gathering resources for the war effort is far from dumb.

on the topic of open world: Mount & Blade: Warband is better than any open world RPG released in the last decade. Bannerlord is going to revolutionize the whole genre and we'll enter the golden age.
I've spent more hours playing M&B:W than any game I've ever owned. For people that enjoy a true RPG experience, there just isn't anything like it.

Be a Merchant, a King, a Sellsword, a Bandit, crazy replay value. I'm stoked for Bannerlord, if it ever actually releases.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

Yeah I think you played the wrong game bud.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I've spent more hours playing M&B:W than any game I've ever owned. For people that enjoy a true RPG experience, there just isn't anything like it.

Be a Merchant, a King, a Sellsword, a Bandit, crazy replay value. I'm stoked for Bannerlord, if it ever actually releases.
And let's not forget the incredible horse archer gameplay that's light years ahead of any competition.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
RE: Mount and Blade
It's a great game but it doesn't stack up pound for pound against full blown RPGs. It's a hybrid. Just as an RPG wouldn't offer you everything you'd want out of a strategy/pseudo sim/action combat hybrid like M&B, M&B doesn't offer you the complete experience of what are conventionally called RPGs either.

On this note, Civ4 was the pinnacle of the Civilization franchise. Civ 5 and Civ 6 are no where near as good or fun.

Not sure if unpopular but obviously correct either way.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
The only thing that separates "conventional RPGs" is a hand-holding storyline.

Nah. Too many of its elements are not at the level of depth required. It also tilts way too heavily toward player skill in combat. I could mostly go along with the idea of it meeting the "action RPG' standard but you have to take the moment to moment gameplay into account as well. You just don't do the same things in M&B most of your time that your'e doing in almost any other mainstream action RPG. And then you have to take into account the elements of the game that have almost nothing to do with RPGs like the economy and some of the itemization.

It's a hybrid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad