OT: University/College Questions Part V

Hades

Apr 12, 2009
Anyone here did their bachelors at ESG UQAM and got accepted into a Masters at HEC?

I am wondering how severe they are for admissions. I'll be applying next year but I'm working on getting my GPA as high as possible. I'm probably gonna be applying with a 3.2 and am hoping that will be enough. Does anyone know if places are very limited for masters there or is it not that hard to get in?

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
There is a good chance I'm applying to marketing in winter 2017. They have a bachelor of commerce major marketing? Is that a regular bachelor degree but just speciliazed in marketing?

This is the degree I did.

All commerce degrees have a major. Everyone in commerce does the same core courses, and then you do a few higher level courses focused on your major. Accountants will do advanced accounting, finance majors do more finance courses, and marketing majors will do marketing courses. But you will have to take at least an intro course in every area as part of your core courses, so intro to finance, into to managerial accounting, intro to financial accounting, etc....

The marketing classes you'll do will be things like Consumer Behaviour (similar to a psychology course), Marketing Research (the science behind surveys and research), Personal Selling, Customer Service, etc....

Boardish

Mar 3, 2004
Anyone here did their bachelors at ESG UQAM and got accepted into a Masters at HEC?

I am wondering how severe they are for admissions. I'll be applying next year but I'm working on getting my GPA as high as possible. I'm probably gonna be applying with a 3.2 and am hoping that will be enough. Does anyone know if places are very limited for masters there or is it not that hard to get in?

You should get in with a 3.2, it's the minimum required (even though they still accept students under that). I know people who did. The masters program at HEC is pretty big. I guess it also depends on when you are applying (I'm guessing there are less applications during the winter semester) and on which specialization you choose.

Last edited:

Laurent

Wat.
Apr 9, 2010
Montreal
There is a good chance I'm applying to marketing in winter 2017. They have a bachelor of commerce major marketing? Is that a regular bachelor degree but just speciliazed in marketing?

Just did it this semester. As stated above, first year is very general courses that touch upon everything (which includes Marketing Management), then U2 & U3 (Junior & Senior years), you pick the classes you want in terms of your major.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
This is the degree I did.

All commerce degrees have a major. Everyone in commerce does the same core courses, and then you do a few higher level courses focused on your major. Accountants will do advanced accounting, finance majors do more finance courses, and marketing majors will do marketing courses. But you will have to take at least an intro course in every area as part of your core courses, so intro to finance, into to managerial accounting, intro to financial accounting, etc....

The marketing classes you'll do will be things like Consumer Behaviour (similar to a psychology course), Marketing Research (the science behind surveys and research), Personal Selling, Customer Service, etc....

Thanks man. I'm an older student and my overall R score is pretty bad. Though, my English cegep marks were 90 of average.

I was recommended to apply to the certificate in management Then do an interfaculty transfer to the bcomm.I've no idea what is the admission requirement for the Bcomm for a guy like me. I know it takes 28 R score. I haven't been off 3 years of school so I'm not a mature student.

Last edited:

Laurent

Wat.
Apr 9, 2010
Montreal
Thanks man. I'm an older student and my overall R score is pretty bad. Though, my English cegep marks were 90 of average.

I was recommended to apply to the certificate in management Then do an interfaculty transfer to the bcomm.I've no idea what is the admission requirement for the Bcomm for a guy like me. I know it takes 28 R score. I haven't been off 3 years of school so I'm not a mature student.

I've heard that transfering to the faculty is very hard. Its been thrown around that very few people from the outside (such as another business school) get admitted for transfers because the interfaculty transfers within McGill takes most available slots. So if you were to do that, it is something that is playing in your favor. In terms of GPA though, you're really going to need something over 3.5 for sure. I would have a tendency to say over 3.7, but I don't want to make a mistake, so I'd rather be safe than sorry. I know of a guy who transfered from Arts (Economics) to Desautels, but this guy was a 3.85+.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
I've heard that transfering to the faculty is very hard. Its been thrown around that very few people from the outside (such as another business school) get admitted for transfers because the interfaculty transfers within McGill takes most available slots. So if you were to do that, it is something that is playing in your favor. In terms of GPA though, you're really going to need something over 3.5 for sure. I would have a tendency to say over 3.7, but I don't want to make a mistake, so I'd rather be safe than sorry. I know of a guy who transfered from Arts (Economics) to Desautels, but this guy was a 3.85+.
Correct me if im wrong, but management is taught at desautels so he Will already be in the faculty. Also, wtf, economics is in the art faculty?

Hades

Apr 12, 2009
You should get in with a 3.2, it's the minimum required (even though they still accept students under that). I know people who did. The masters program at HEC is pretty big. I guess it also depends on when you are applying (I'm guessing there are less applications during the winter semester) and on which specialization you choose.

That's good to know, thanks. I'm working on getting my GPA higher now so I can apply to a masters at HEC next year. Hopefully I'll finish with at least 3.2.

When you say it's pretty big, you mean they have a lot of places?

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Yes. It's a programming job.

Thanks, definitely not my field then. I better try something and not liking it than having regrets . I applied in cegep in multimedia last year.

Guess I should have went to university after my AEC in accounting at Dawson in 2014.It wasn't going to be accounting that's why I was confused and didn't apply to uni right away. Why change fields?

I do online marketing and I have a high interest in advertisement and business World . My Instagram account is made to promote non profits organizations.

I guess I lost a lot by not going to uni . Probably would have met a girl too. It's okay. Ima stay positive.

Last edited:

luthar

Nov 29, 2011
Mtl
Thanks, definitely not my field then. I better try something and not liking it than having regrets . I applied in cegep in multimedia last year.

Guess I should have went to university after my AEC in accounting at Dawson in 2014.It wasn't going to be accounting that's why I was confused and didn't apply to uni right away. Why change fields?

I do online marketing and I have a high interest in advertisement and business World . My Instagram account is made to promote non profits organizations.

I guess I lost a lot by not going to uni . Probably would have met a girl too. It's okay. Ima stay positive.

If you like marketing or business, you can still go to a business school for a Bachelor or a certificate in marketing. You're never too old to do something.

Also, marketing for Non-profits organization is a good direction. These organization usually need help with those things especially finding donors. Quite alot of opportunities!

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
If you like marketing or business, you can still go to a business school for a Bachelor or a certificate in marketing. You're never too old to do something.

Also, marketing for Non-profits organization is a good direction. These organization usually need help with those things especially finding donors. Quite alot of opportunities!

I'm 26. I'm not old but at that age studying full time during the day becomes a huge sacrifice. You have less money by either applying to loan and bursery or simply working part time. My best bet would be to study at night maybe in a certificate . Back in 2014, I could have applied full time day which makes it even more frustrating.

Boardish

Mar 3, 2004
That's good to know, thanks. I'm working on getting my GPA higher now so I can apply to a masters at HEC next year. Hopefully I'll finish with at least 3.2.

When you say it's pretty big, you mean they have a lot of places?

Some classes have 40-50 students in it (but you can have classes with only 4-5 students too), so yeah it's pretty big I think for a master program. Based on that they should have a lot of places.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

I got into Engineering with a **** R score. By **** I mean I didn't go class, didn't drop and ended up with a **** grade R score.

I applied as a mature student.

I have no idea what you're looking for but business is always a safe option.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
I got into Engineering with a **** R score. By **** I mean I didn't go class, didn't drop and ended up with a **** grade R score.

I applied as a mature student.

I have no idea what you're looking for but business is always a safe option.

I think I can forget about McGill. I think I can apply as a mature student at Concordia as I meet the requirements. One of the requirement though is to have 5 years of relevant experience? Full time during the day I guess, this is....annoying. I hate it when you look back and knew you had to go to uni.

Gosh. I guess I had no clue what to do next. Atleast I did something by doing an AEC

Last edited:

void

Jan 5, 2006
I think I can forget about McGill. I think I can apply as a mature student at Concordia as I meet the requirements. One of the requirement though is to have 5 years of relevant experience? Full time during the day I guess, this is....annoying. I hate it when you look back and knew you had to go to uni.

Gosh. I guess I had no clue what to do next.

I'm really not sure why you're freaking out so much. You're only 26 for god's sake... You'll be fine.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
I'm really not sure why you're freaking out so much. You're only 26 for god's sake... You'll be fine.

I'm not freaking out I'm just not happy when I realize I was clueless and done mistakes. I've done alot of mistakes. I'm 26 yes but I've low back pain due to a mistake which I've a hard time to fix. Atleast I did an aec, people can't say I did squat, such a relief.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
I'm not freaking out I'm just not happy when I realize I was clueless and done mistakes. I've done alot of mistakes. I'm 26 yes but I've low back pain due to a mistake which I've a hard time to fix. Atleast I did an aec, people can't say I did squat, such a relief.

Alright, **** your past, you can't do **** about it anymore. What you can do though is better your future, even if sacrifices are needed. If you think it is the best way to improve your status, you should do it.

Do you want to regret it again in two years when you're 28? You're still young. I'm 26, I won't let anyone say it's too late or that we're old :laugh: it may not be the perfect life, with everything set, job and all like we all dreamt but **** it, it's our life. We all have a different path.

It's never too late, well, unless you're dead.

Adamcrazy3

Dec 9, 2011
Montreal, Canada

Gosh. I guess I had no clue what to do next. Atleast I did something by doing an AEC

I'm also going back to university and I'm 25. I got a degree and hated working in that field. I wish I had worked my ass off in CEGEP and gotten good grades instead of slacking off.

You're only 26 so you're still young! I've seen much older people at university.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Alright, **** your past, you can't do **** about it anymore. What you can do though is better your future, even if sacrifices are needed. If you think it is the best way to improve your status, you should do it.

Do you want to regret it again in two years when you're 28? You're still young. I'm 26, I won't let anyone say it's too late or that we're old :laugh: it may not be the perfect life, with everything set, job and all like we all dreamt but **** it, it's our life. We all have a different path.

It's never too late, well, unless you're dead.

Yep I've been there it's all about having a positive mind. I think age is irrelevant as long as you make a good decision for your future.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

5 years of relevant experience for what?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad