OT: University/College Questions Part V

Laurent

Wat.
Apr 9, 2010
Montreal
http://www.eduniversal-ranking.com/business-school-university-ranking-in-canada.html

Anyone know if this is legit? I know in ~2008ish most people said JMSB had a better program than Desautels (McGill), but that Desautels was rapidly growing.

Having a hard time choosing in between both. Hope I'll get accepted in both, but still haven't put my finger on what exactly I'll be doing, but 'm trying to make my mind on which of the two should be my first pick. Leaning towards McGill due to the whole prestige/name argument, but if its true that their Business program has improved that much to the point where they're among the best in Canada, that's really a deal-breaker. Talking about ~30 R Score (If I can maintain it), which should keep most of my doors open

mus1cx

Oct 6, 2014
Toronto
http://www.eduniversal-ranking.com/business-school-university-ranking-in-canada.html

Anyone know if this is legit? I know in ~2008ish most people said JMSB had a better program than Desautels (McGill), but that Desautels was rapidly growing.

Having a hard time choosing in between both. Hope I'll get accepted in both, no idea in what yet, but I'm trying to make my mind which of the two should be my first pick. Leaning towards McGill due to the whole prestige/name argument, but if its true that their Business program has improved that much to the point where they're among the best in Canada, that's really a deal-breaker for me.

I go to McGill for Life Sci, but I'm quite familiar with their business program since my sister graduated from Desautels. She got a job directly on Wall Street, worked for 6 years, and is now at Wharton (University of Pennsylvania) for her MBA.

JMSB is well-regarded in Quebec and has a more hands-on approach. McGill is more research-based and theoretical but better-regarded internationally.

In other words, you should decide on two factors:

1) Future employment: If your aim is BMO/Scotia/etc. and you want to stay in the province, either would be fine. But if your aim is Morgan Stanley/Goldman Sachs/etc. you should 100% decide on McGill since these large American companies do not really recruit from Concordia.

2) MBA school: If you want to go to an MBA in Canada, then McGill wouldn't give you a significant advantage. If you want to go to a top business school (Harvard/Stanford/Wharton) then you should definitely go to McGill. My sister said her only Canadian classmates were from U of T/McGill and the rest of the class came from very prestigious undergraduate schools (Harvard/Yale/Princeton/Stanford level schools).

EDIT: You also have to consider that McGill's a top 20 school internationally. Although its business program isn't what it's known for, you're still coming out of a top 20 school.

Laurent

Wat.
Apr 9, 2010
Montreal
I go to McGill for Life Sci, but I'm quite familiar with their business program since my sister graduated from Desautels. She got a job directly on Wall Street, worked for 6 years, and is now at Wharton (University of Pennsylvania) for her MBA.

JMSB is well-regarded in Quebec and has a more hands-on approach. McGill is more research-based and theoretical but better-regarded internationally.

In other words, you should decide on two factors:

1) Future employment: If your aim is BMO/Scotia/etc. and you want to stay in the province, either would be fine. But if your aim is Morgan Stanley/Goldman Sachs/etc. you should 100% decide on McGill since these large American companies do not really recruit from Concordia.

2) MBA school: If you want to go to an MBA in Canada, then McGill wouldn't give you a significant advantage. If you want to go to a top business school (Harvard/Stanford/Wharton) then you should definitely go to McGill. My sister said her only Canadian classmates were from U of T/McGill and the rest of the class came from very prestigious undergraduate schools (Harvard/Yale/Princeton/Stanford level schools).

I completely forgot to post about my MBA intentions and you actually answered it for me. It's almost as if you read in my head. I'd reckon I want to get my basic degree, work for a few years to get experience, then eventually look at the potential of doing an MBA, similarly to your sister.

Without getting too personal, since she worked on Wall St for 6 years and is able to pay the tuition fee for Wharton, fair to say that her degree with McGill set her up well enough financially? Money isn't a worry in my family, i'm just curious of knowing if the salaries you get with a McGill degree are decent enough for first-time workers

My Dad is telling me that If I were to do a MBA he wants me at Wharton, like your sister, but I'd prefer London School of Business. Anyways that's down the line. Take it one step at a time lmao. Anyways this takes me to p another major factor in WHY I'm also leaning towards McGill, which is, as you said, due to it's international reputation, which (I suppose) would make my degree worth more than Concordias when I'll eventually go on to apply for my MBA. Fair for me to say that I suppose?

I'm not sure If I want to stay in Canada or not, I'm still confused overall with what the hell I want to do in my life, which is why I'm trying to take the path that will open the most doors for me. I don't want to be stuck somewhere I don't want to be.

Basically, if I understood correctly, going to McGill is more of a win-win, since it has the same "weight/importance" in Quebec that JMSB, but has a international reputation that Concordia doesn't have (which I supposed was the case, but wasn't certain of)

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Yeah I agree... McGill has a reputation. Concordia doesn't. That's pretty much all you need to know at this point. :laugh:

mus1cx

Oct 6, 2014
Toronto
I completely forgot to post about my MBA intentions and you actually answered it for me. It's almost as if you read in my head. I'd reckon I want to get my basic degree, work for a few years to get experience, then eventually look at the potential of doing an MBA, similarly to your sister.

Without getting too personal, since she worked on Wall St for 6 years and is able to pay the tuition fee for Wharton, fair to say that her degree with McGill set her up well enough financially? Money isn't a worry in my family, i'm just curious of knowing if the salaries you get with a McGill degree are decent enough for first-time workers

My Dad is telling me that If I were to do a MBA he wants me at Wharton, like your sister, but I'd prefer London School of Business. Anyways that's down the line. Take it one step at a time lmao. Anyways this takes me to p another major factor in WHY I'm also leaning towards McGill, which is, as you said, due to it's international reputation, which (I suppose) would make my degree worth more than Concordias when I'll eventually go on to apply for my MBA. Fair for me to say that I suppose?

I'm not sure If I want to stay in Canada or not, I'm still confused overall with what the hell I want to do in my life, which is why I'm trying to take the path that will open the most doors for me. I don't want to be stuck somewhere I don't want to be.

Basically, if I understood correctly, going to McGill is more of a win-win, since it has the same "weight/importance" in Quebec that JMSB, but has a international reputation that Concordia doesn't have (which I supposed was the case, but wasn't certain of)

Unfortunately Wharton's stupidly expensive so my parents are paying for some of it and she's paying for some of it. I do think McGill set her up for a good salary though - you can hit a 6 figure salary by your second year.

That being said, I would say McGill's a win-win since you get a good international education for a very cheap tuition. But it's only a good choice if you're willing to put more work in to get the same grades due to the infamous grade deflation. :help:

Also, if you have the chance to live in rez, it's a really cool experience since literally everyone is from everywhere.

Laurent

Wat.
Apr 9, 2010
Montreal
Unfortunately Wharton's stupidly expensive so my parents are paying for some of it and she's paying for some of it. I do think McGill set her up for a good salary though - you can hit a 6 figure salary by your second year.

That being said, I would say McGill's a win-win since you get a good international education for a very cheap tuition. But it's only a good choice if you're willing to put more work in to get the same grades due to the infamous grade deflation. :help:

Also, if you have the chance to live in rez, it's a really cool experience since literally everyone is from everywhere.

Yeah my father is suggesting that he pays for my tuition, but ideally I'd like to pay for a bulk of it myself. Would feel weird having my father still fully pay for me to go to school at 26ish years old :laugh:

Mind to elaborate on the grade deflation part?

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Yeah my father is suggesting that he pays for my tuition, but ideally I'd like to pay for a bulk of it myself. Would feel weird having my father still fully pay for me to go to school at 26ish years old :laugh:

Everybody thinks that the grade are deflated at the very specific school they attended.

mus1cx

Oct 6, 2014
Toronto
Everybody thinks that the grade are deflated at the very specific school they attended.

That's not true lol there are specific schools that are well known for their deflation. I also know many transfer students from other schools that confirm this. A lot of the exams I've seen from other schools are not comparable at all.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
There is no grade deflation, just slower rates of grade inflation.

I knew a guy from UPEI once. Not only did he have a 4.0 GPA, but he didn't understand how he probably wouldn't at many other universities.

In graduate school I had an office mate who did her undergrad at UIUC. We were having a hard tine with a homework, I didn't think much of the situation. She told me that it was the first time in her life that she sat down to do a homework and didn't solve everything right away.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Yeah I agree... McGill has a reputation. Concordia doesn't. That's pretty much all you need to know at this point. :laugh:

Another way of stating this is that McGill profs publish prolifically, and Concordia profs publish less. Whether that translates into a discrepancy in teaching is open to debate. I think that it varies on a case-by-case basis. Some very dynamic profs can do both, while others do research at the expense of teaching preparation, or vice versa.

NorthernHab

Feb 11, 2012
Thinking of going to Laurentian University in Sudbury for Sports Administration but I dont wanna go to Sudbury. Any other greats Sports Administration programs in Ontario/Western Quebec/Michigan/NY?

shakenbake7

Apr 7, 2009
Thinking of going to Laurentian University in Sudbury for Sports Administration but I dont wanna go to Sudbury. Any other greats Sports Administration programs in Ontario/Western Quebec/Michigan/NY?

Look into Brock University's Sports Management program

mus1cx

Oct 6, 2014
Toronto
Another way of stating this is that McGill profs publish prolifically, and Concordia profs publish less. Whether that translates into a discrepancy in teaching is open to debate. I think that it varies on a case-by-case basis. Some very dynamic profs can do both, while others do research at the expense of teaching preparation, or vice versa.

This X10000

Lol true, but its undeniable that it still makes a difference to your future employment.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec

Having a hard time choosing in between both. Hope I'll get accepted in both, but still haven't put my finger on what exactly I'll be doing, but 'm trying to make my mind on which of the two should be my first pick. Leaning towards McGill due to the whole prestige/name argument, but if its true that their Business program has improved that much to the point where they're among the best in Canada, that's really a deal-breaker. Talking about ~30 R Score (If I can maintain it), which should keep most of my doors open

McGill will always standout in a CV, but I don't think you'll be a lesser businessman from going to Concordia, or HEC/Sherbrooke/Laval for that matter.

As someone said, if you plan on going international or in the states(USA), reputation and prestige seems more of a requirement over there than here au Québec.

I'm also interested in Sports Management programs, I found a website listing all the colleges who have a program. I have it bookmarked on my laptop, I'll post it next time I'm on it. I'm afraid I can't help you to chose the programs though, as I don't know most of those Colleges.

I know for a fact that Bishop's here in Lennoxville has a minor in Sports Management in their Business program.

TheAntiPrice

Oct 25, 2009
Montreal, QC
Anybody has any experience concerning transferring from Concordia to Mcgill? I've been a part-time independent student at Concordia for a while taking all the math/science pre-requisite courses. How good of a chance do I have in getting into Mcgill's engineering program say next fall? I have pretty good grades, what else do they look for?

MTLAzzurri

Mar 2, 2013

I go to Desautels. The average for each class has to be between 65 and 75. Got an 80 but class average was 80 as well? Congrats, average was just lowered to 75 and your A- (3.7 GPA) just became a B+ (3.3 GPA).

It's not so bad, since most classes tend to be around a 75 average anyway, and if your class average is below that, most teachers will bump everyone up a point or two to get to 75.

Tarasenko

Unregistered User
Oct 11, 2011
I go to Desautels. The average for each class has to be between 65 and 75. Got an 80 but class average was 80 as well? Congrats, average was just lowered to 75 and your A- (3.7 GPA) just became a B+ (3.3 GPA).

It's not so bad, since most classes tend to be around a 75 average anyway, and if your class average is below that, most teachers will bump everyone up a point or two to get to 75.

What the? They CAN do this? It would be out of question for teachers to lower grades here.

Tarasenko

Unregistered User
Oct 11, 2011
That's one of the big reason why we see less and less players from Quebec in the NHL year after year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->