McKenzie: (Unconfirmed) Dan Girardi to TB.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
The worst thing is not the signing of Girardi in itself. I guess he could potentially be a bottom pairing dman, but it's the confidence this vet will get from our coaching staff after having a handful of solid games to start the season and of course the potential train wreck of a pairing in Girardi - Sustr.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Girardi to a divisional rival is great news for the Leafs :laugh:

Maybe if you buy into the nonsense on this forum. He's a player who has lost a step and can't be a top pairing D yet was deployed as one with a player who makes risky plays, and left him covering up which he just couldn't do.

He brings everything and more that Polak brought. He's a good vet, by all accounts a good pro who works hard. Can PK, busts his ass on the ice, blocks a ton of shots.

With injuries he can slot up and down the right side. He's still a good player even if he will get burned by speed from time to time. In the right system, he is still an effective D.

Now, I am NOT saying I want him @4m AAV. However 2M AAV for a few years is a steal, and you get one hell of a player.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
Girardi the gaffe giraffe. As a Devils fan I will miss him. He made Ben Lovejoy look like a good defenseman last year.

For all his good in drafting well and making some shrewd trades and moves, Yzerman makes a lot of bad ones too, especially in FA.

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
Maybe if you buy into the nonsense on this forum. He's a player who has lost a step and can't be a top pairing D yet was deployed as one with a player who makes risky plays, and left him covering up which he just couldn't do.

He brings everything and more that Polak brought. He's a good vet, by all accounts a good pro who works hard. Can PK, busts his ass on the ice, blocks a ton of shots.

With injuries he can slot up and down the right side. He's still a good player even if he will get burned by speed from time to time. In the right system, he is still an effective D.

Now, I am NOT saying I want him @4m AAV. However 2M AAV for a few years is a steal, and you get one hell of a player.

tenor.gif

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
Hopefully I'm reading that wrong but he gonna get more from Tampa then he did with rangers?

Says his new salary + 1.1M from the buyout will be more than his pre-buyout salary. So he's expected to make 3+ million for his next contract.

edit: forget that, I think his $1M signing bonus was already paid and doesn't count?

Last edited:

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
i think he's saying the money he gets from NYR plus the money from tampa will put him over $4 mil. so i think that means his cap hit will be around $3 mil? maybe?

Actually I just checked his old contract and he would of made $5 mil this year, so he's expected to get 4+ on his new contract... yikes.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Girardi the gaffe giraffe. As a Devils fan I will miss him. He made Ben Lovejoy look like a good defenseman last year.

For all his good in drafting well and making some shrewd trades and moves, Yzerman makes a lot of bad ones too, especially in FA.

Lovejoy in a depth role is fine. Not anything flashy... but as long as he's paired with someone who can move the puck, he's fine - even playing 18-20 minutes a night and facing the other teams top lines. I remember last year when him and Dumoulin shutdown Ovechkin throughout the entire regular season. Dumoulin played a large role... but so did Lovejoy.

It's not just SY that makes these mistakes... lots of GMs do. They're trying to keep their team competitive and their options to do so are limited. Not to mention that many GMs have slightly different idea's as to how to build a successful team. Many GMs still value 'grit' and 'physical play'. And while those are commendable attributes and ones many GMs and fans like to have... when they come wrapped up in a package that can barely skate and struggles to move the puck, it's not a good thing.

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
Hedman-Stralman
Coburn-Dotchin
Koekkoek-Girardi
Ex : Sustr

Is there still some room for Sergachev?

There is a second rounder at play here...

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Oh man, I hope Tampa sign him for 4+ mil. What a trainwreck of a contract that would be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad