UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
According to Bill Hunt’s Gleaner article on Joe Gatenby (who arrived in town in mid-August as the team begins training camp this Friday night)....Rassell (LA), Boucher (COL), Simpson (WSH), and Dove-McFalls (CLB) are going to rookie camps next month.

I thought Washington had already announced their camp roster but perhaps I was looking at a previous year.

Last edited:

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
If this new logo is a big red 'R' with a circle border (very much like the Redblacks-CFL) I will hate it. :thumbd: This is what the teaser leads me to believe - it looks like a Helvetica font around the top "UNIVERSITY OF NEW BRUNSWICK" and "REDS" on the bottom with an italic athletic "R" in the middle.

- The word font will be too small to read from a distance, all you will see is an 'R'
- How are you suppose to make the jump from a large 'R' to 'UNB"
- It will likely be mistaken for the Redblacks logo
- or maybe Ryerson or Regina for those who don't follow USPORTS

Imagine UNB vs Ryerson on SportsNet and they show two 'R' logos on the screen. :damnpc:
The letter is supposed to be for the city/province/school name, not the nickname.

Reactions: Rob

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I notice the Saturday game against McGill is now a 3PM start...I think it was originally a night game but wouldn’t be surprised if it got changed due to Harvest that weekend.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
The letter is supposed to be for the city/province/school name, not the nickname.

Totally agree!!!! - but it looks like someone forgot to tell the design company that UNB hired. We are now the letter 'R'.

Dl7Tx6CXgAYxsyX.jpg

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I understand the difficulties of trying to create a logo for a team that doesn’t have a nickname like Panthers/Huskies/Tigers/etc. (wtf is a ‘Red’, anyways)....but yeah, this is kind of ‘meh’.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
That's Ugly.....
Totally agree 110% - I don't like it at all. I will not use it, buy it, wear it, etc.

A red and black R - we are the Rough Riders or Running Raiders, or Running Rebels, Red Rebels or Rambling Rogues or ....

They should have stuck with Red Devils the first time around.

I can also see ... "Heh, when did Ryerson change their colours?" comments.

I guess I have to wait another 5-10 years for the next rebrand to see if they can do something better - they can't get any worse (but I'm afraid they could).

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
Totally agree!!!! - but it looks like someone forgot to tell the design company that UNB hired. We are now the letter 'R'.

Dl7Tx6CXgAYxsyX.jpg
OMG.........i now feel deflated.

This logo is 150% the worst thing they could have came up with. With a lame name like Reds, their focuse should have been to brand the logo with primarely UNB as the focus, not Reds. Even worst it doesnt scream Reds either its a Black R with red trim, just as someone said the Ottawa Red Blacks.

If I had that logo on a Black Baseball Cap all in all it would be a bad looking hat, the problem is anyone who cared to wonder what my hat was wouldnt have a single clue at was this R was.

Should have adopted a new teams name with Red such as Red Devils for every team just like Duke Blue Devils.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Yeah that’s gotta be a mistake. UNB is maxed out for exhibition games...and they play McGill at home on Fri/Sat...and I can’t imagine them playing St. FX in an exhibition game anyways.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Nice game for Rassell tonight in the Kings first game...a goal and at least one assist (he was on the ice for another goal but not sure if he figured in the scoring). Of note, Maillet is also playing in the tourney and wore the ‘C’ tonight.

Dove-McFalls has played in each of Columbus’ first two games. He scored their first goal yesterday.

I don’t think Simpson played in the Caps game today.

Boucher is playing for the Avalanche but they are currently getting routed.

Last edited:

SuperSquirrel

Aug 28, 2008
Nice game for Rassell tonight in the Kings first game...a goal and at least one assist (he was on the ice for another goal but not sure if he figured in the scoring). Of note, Maillet is also playing in the tourney and wore the ‘C’ tonight.

Dove-McFalls has played in each of Columbus’ first two games. He scored their first goal yesterday.

I don’t think Simpson played in the Caps game today.

Boucher is playing for the Avalanche but they are currently getting routed.
Boucher ended up scoring a goal in that game.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Boucher has been invited to Colorado’s main camp on an ATO.

Simpson has been invited to Washington’s main camp.

Rassell has been invited to LA’s main camp.

I didn’t notice Dove-McFalls on Columbus’ roster.

Last edited:

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Rassell (LA),
Boucher (COL),
Simpson (WSH),
and Dove-McFalls (CLB)

(LAK) Rassell - (Main Camp) - Schedule doesn't go past Sunday at this time (TBA). One scrimmage on Sunday Kings v Kings
(COL) Boucher - Advanced to the Main Camp from Rookie Camp. 4-days of camp with no games. First pre-season game on 18th at home.
(WSH) Simpson - (Main Camp) first round of cuts is planned for Wed. 19th (Day off) after Pre-season games vs BOS on Saturday and Tuesday.
(CLB) Dove-McFalls - Attended Rookie Camp, not invited to Main Camp

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I see Dubeau was injured for the weekend games against McGill. Parenteau definitely held his own in both games. Hoping to see him get the start for the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad