UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Honestly? I hardly noticed him out there except for the odd shift after the first period. Bailey/Culligan/Carroll must have played 75% of the third period, or that's how it seemed.

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
as far as Next Year Goes anyone have confirmation on players back for sure not back for sure, or maybe not back but could?

Defenseman who are gone for sure - Luke Gallant and Jonathon Harty
Defenseman as questionmarks - I see Chad Denny is listed as in his 5th year of eligibility, this surprises me is this correct?
Defenseman back - Stamler, Desnoyiers, Shutron, Kidd, Wright and Corocan

Forwards Gone For Sure - Kyle bailey, Jordan Clendenning, Jeff Lee,
Forwards question marks- Dion Campbell? Matt Fillier? Luke Lynes
Forwards back - Tyler Carroll, Chris Culligan, Shane Wiebe, Nick MacNeil, Thomas Nesbitt, Antoine House Caron, Geordie Wudrick, Daine Todd, Taylor MacDougall

Travis Fullarton is gone and Dan Lacosta has one year left.

I May have missed a player, and I could be wrong about a couple, but as you can see despite the loses UNB has a real Solid Nucleus coming back to build around and you know that group will be hungry for next season after the loss to Western. I'm Confident Dan Lacosta once Healthy can be a top notch Goaltender in the AUS but no doubt with 1 year left the search for the Next UNB # 1 Goalie starts this summer.

gleanerguy

Nov 27, 2009
Stamler, I believe, will go. Fourth year player, brilliant academic, will likely go pro. Lynes has concussion issues. Solid backup or 1A is required for LaCosta, just in case groin issue recurs...but yes...good nucleus, as always.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Denny is going into his 5th year of eligibility I think. It wouldn't surprise me to see Stamler/Fullerton/Clendenning all back.

So it seems the biggest needs right now appear to to be a top 6 center to try and replace Bailey, which will be almost impossible. If Clendenning leaves then they will need a 3rd line center as well.

With Gallant and Harty done they should also be looking for a couple of offensively minded defenceman unless they believe Desnoyer can take big step forward next year and Shutron can get back to the form he showed in his rookie season. Really are going to need to find someone to run the power play. Everyone else I see as more of defensive defencemen.

If Fullerton does decide to move on then finding the next starting goalie should become one of their top priorities.

I think their 1st and 4th lines are pretty set with Carroll/Culligan/Wiebe and some combo of MacDougall/Houde-Caron/Fillier if he is back/whoever isn't in the top-9. Even if Clendenning and Campbell are back I would like to see another 2nd or 3rd liner to complement MacNeil/Nesbitt/Wudrick/Todd.

Btw...whatever happened to Robbie Drummond??

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Jordan Clendenning could be back - Coach hinted in their post-game that he maybe considering MBA.

As for Chad - I think he has 1 year left. He turned 21 in Mar. '08 making the - 07/08 his '21' season.

He continued to play pro for 08/09, 09/10 and 10/11 eating 3 years of eligibility - leaving 2 (this season and next).

I believe they need a top-3 D-man to replace some of what they lose in Harty (not top-3 right away, someone who can grow into that spot - pretty strong with what we have and if they stay healthy, could be all-star year for Wright and Shutron), a top-4 forward and a goalie as it's Dan's last season (he only had 2 years).

We could see Travis back - even though he's a 4th year player, not sure he has enough credits to graduate - he may need a few more classes.

I guess the carrot is a promise to attend WUG as a member of Team Canada. WUG has changed dates and location - see my WUG thread.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
The WUG might benefit UNB if they go with the same size roster they did this year...they might be able to get through the 4 or 5 games that they will be without their players better than some other teams with lesser depth.

gleanerguy

Nov 27, 2009
I like Ben Shutron, but haven't seen enough of him since the femur injury to know whether he's lost a step...I would say going from being unable to dress for your team in the playoffs to AUS all-star would be a reach. Hope I'm wrong. Also have to be concerned about Wiebe's ankle...may heal well and not miss a beat, but may not.
Clendenning is an important dressing room presence, but has always been a third line, two-way, versatility type player. And you'll need a goaltender to share/step in for LaCosta...groom him or split the job for the year/

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
Theirs no possible way Travis Fullarton is back for a 5th year, I've never heard of a Student struggling in class to make his marks and be rewarded for a 5th year for falling classes lol. i love Travis but his Schooling is no secret

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Wouldn't that be a reason why he might be back though? He doesn't have enough credits to graduate yet?

If he was failing classes or had a GPA below 2.0 then he wouldn't be on the team...so he must be doing enough.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
It will be interesting to see who they go with as captain next year.

Also, I'd like to see them give Salituro more playing time...considering the number of games (and the amount of time in those games) he played, I thought he produced quite well.

Archie Jones

Aug 10, 2009
After watching the AUS playoffs and Nationals I'm amazed how efficiently, without much fanfare UNB's #57 goes about his business and helps teammates get headlines. In a total of 8 post season games he had 17 points. No other UNB player was really close to his totals.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
After watching the AUS playoffs and Nationals I'm amazed how efficiently, without much fanfare UNB's #57 goes about his business and helps teammates get headlines. In a total of 8 post season games he had 17 points. No other UNB player was really close to his totals.

I find media coverage during playoffs and particularly at Nationals tends to focus on the three G's: goalscorers, goaltenders, and graduating players.

I'm sure all next season Chris is going to get all the attention he can handle, and then some (and he might want to be a little more selfish and score himself instead of always setting up his linemates ...)

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Theirs no possible way Travis Fullarton is back for a 5th year, I've never heard of a Student struggling in class to make his marks and be rewarded for a 5th year for falling classes lol. i love Travis but his Schooling is no secret

I didn't mean to imply that Travis was failing (he did have a tough second year I hear) - but I believe he has been taking the minimum class load over the past two years and you can't graduate in 4 if you've failed some classes (which have to be made-up) and are taking a 3-3 or 4-4 class load. You can certainly catch-up by taking classes in the Summer, not sure Travis chose to do that. I wouldn't be surprised if he has 5-6 classes left to graduate.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
When I was in school, and I assume it is still this way, most degrees required 120 credit hours to complete. At the usual 3 CH's/class that would work out to 5 classes per semester for 4 years, or 4 classes per semester for 5 years. If he is taking the minimum of 4 classes, and hasn't made enough of them up in the summer, then there is no way he is graduating this year.

Archie Jones

Aug 10, 2009
Freddy, I've never heard the 3 G's theory before but it does make sense in a twisted sort of way. However, without the unselfish creative play of some players there might not be that many "Goal scorers" to hype. The UNB 2nd goal that started with a backcheck and steal of the puck outside the UNB blueline and finished with some beautiful tic tac toe passing was a pretty good example.

Media coverage can get a little carried away some times with their coverage as Tyler Carroll was awarded the AUS Rookie of the Year Award a couple of times during the UNB / Western game. By the way he would have been a very good choice!

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
as far as Next Year Goes anyone have confirmation on players back for sure not back for sure, or maybe not back but could?

Defenseman who are gone for sure - Luke Gallant and Jonathon Harty
Defenseman as questionmarks - I see Chad Denny is listed as in his 5th year of eligibility, this surprises me is this correct?
Defenseman back - Stamler, Desnoyiers, Shutron, Kidd, Wright and Corocan

Forwards Gone For Sure - Kyle bailey, Jordan Clendenning, Jeff Lee,
Forwards question marks- Dion Campbell? Matt Fillier? Luke Lynes
Forwards back - Tyler Carroll, Chris Culligan, Shane Wiebe, Nick MacNeil, Thomas Nesbitt, Antoine House Caron, Geordie Wudrick, Daine Todd, Taylor MacDougall

Travis Fullarton is gone and Dan Lacosta has one year left.

I May have missed a player, and I could be wrong about a couple, but as you can see despite the
loses UNB has a real Solid Nucleus coming back to build around and you know that group will be
hungry for next season after the loss to Western. I'm Confident Dan Lacosta once Healthy can be a
top notch Goaltender in the AUS but no doubt with 1 year left the search for the Next UNB # 1 Goalie
starts this summer.
Corcoran most likely done as well.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
For us Buffalo/Rochester fans, what can you tell us about Kyle Bailey?
The Rochester Americans also announced that they have signed forward Kyle Bailey from the University of New Brunswick to an ATO, and he will also join the Ameks for the remainder of the season. Bailey (6’2â€, 200 lbs., 10/15/1986) was drafted by the Minnesota Wild in the fourth round (110th overall) of the 2005 NHL Entry Draft. In five years at the University of New Brunswick, Bailey totaled 153 points (65+88) and 160 penalty minutes in 138 games.

Link: http://www.amerks.com/newsX.asp?type=News&aID=511

sketchiness

Mar 29, 2012
It makes one wonder if the CIS will ever begin investigating recruiting like the NCAA does. Credit must be given to MacDougall and co. for their recruiting means, however, upon hearing the rumblings by former players that they are receiving money to play, and the fact that UNB continues to have amazing recruits year in and year out, it leads one to being suspicious. The idea that a student-hockey player has a 'job' an is being $500 to turn off the lights at the gym is quite ludicrous and would sure be unacceptable if true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad