The Columbus Dispatch: Umberger wants out (Dispatch link post #276)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
...let's all hope a Leafs fan doesn't come here and see it, as we will then be bombarded by them.

Ridiculous, annoying "counter offers" and cheapshots at us. Remember, we are a sunbelt team.

Gardiner and Reimer for Bobrovsky, Johansen, Jenner, Murray, and a 1st hur durr

:help:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
It's been 33 days since RJU said he wanted out and still no deal.

June 30 @ 5pm is the deadline for exercising an amnesty buyout. I'd love to see the documentation that he's generating for JMAC to make the case for the buyout. I'd also like to be a fly on the wall for what the conversations JK has when he calls up another GM trying to unload Umberger. I can only imagine..........................................

JK: "Hi, (insert other team's GM name). No more Gaborik or Carter jokes, please!!! Listen, I'd like to see if you have any interest in RJ Umberger. We're willing to retain a fair portion of salary."

Other GM: (Holds hand over phone mouthpiece and tries to restrain laughter) "First off, Congrats on making the playoffs and giving the Penguins a run for their money. That game 6 near comeback was something else!"

JK: "Thanks. Now, RJU has quite a bit left in the tank, but we're getting younger and it's in the best interests of the CBJ and RJU for him to move elsewhere. I was thinking that we'd retain 20% of salary for a 3rd round pick. We'd also take a problematic ELC contract off of your hands so you'd have an extra roster space."

Other GM: (Has called in asst GM by this time to overhear conversation on speaker phone) "Hmmmm. Isn't RJ due around $4.5 million per year over the next 3 years? I just checked his production per 60 minutes at even strength and, well...... it's not very impressive. (Asst GM is holding hand to mouth to not bust out laughing).

JK: "RJs still a pretty effective 2 way player and has some pretty good leadership abilities."

Other GM: "But didn't Richards scratch him a lot down the stretch when you were desperate for a playoff berth? (Asst GM has been joined by other staffers and the scene is beginning to resemble the classic "Porky's" movie scene relating to tallywackers....everyone is starting to lose it)

JK: "RJ had some nagging injuries and Todd felt that these impaired him such that a scratch was in the team's best interests. How about a 40% salary retention, we'll give you a 4th rounder and we'll take 2 bad ELCs?"

Other GM: (Barely containing himself) "Look, Jarmo. That's very interesting and generous. I'll tell you what. I've got Ville Leino's, Scott Gomez' and Rick Pietro's agents all on hold right now. Let me talk with them and I'll get to you when I'm done." (Room erupts into unrestrained laughter and conversation ends).

Jarmo then calls Chris MacFarland into office and assigns him the duty of all RJU related trade talks.

RJU will have to be waived first in order to be "amnestied". I would expect that to happen by Wednesday next week at the latest.

Last edited:

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Nick Biss ‏@nickjbiss 2m
#hottake RT @InsideSabres: #Sabres may be interested in acquiring RJ Umberger from #CBJ. Buffalo may be a team who can take on his salary.

RJ for Stewart's rights? (at least i think he's a FA)

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Nick Biss ‏@nickjbiss 2m
#hottake RT @InsideSabres: #Sabres may be interested in acquiring RJ Umberger from #CBJ. Buffalo may be a team who can take on his salary.

I yr left at 4.1 mill. I'd do it in a minute but I don't know if Buffalo would.

FreeBoomer61

Feb 8, 2011
Nick Biss ‏@nickjbiss 2m

If this were to happen, it would be a massive victory for the CBJ front office. Even if they don't re-sign Stewart. Get's RJ's contract off the books and frees up a roster spot for someone else.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It's been 33 days since RJU said he wanted out and still no deal.

June 30 @ 5pm is the deadline for exercising an amnesty buyout. I'd love to see the documentation that he's generating for JMAC to make the case for the buyout. I'd also like to be a fly on the wall for what the conversations JK has when he calls up another GM trying to unload Umberger. I can only imagine..........................................

JK: "Hi, (insert other team's GM name). No more Gaborik or Carter jokes, please!!! Listen, I'd like to see if you have any interest in RJ Umberger. We're willing to retain a fair portion of salary."

Other GM: (Holds hand over phone mouthpiece and tries to restrain laughter) "First off, Congrats on making the playoffs and giving the Penguins a run for their money. That game 6 near comeback was something else!"

JK: "Thanks. Now, RJU has quite a bit left in the tank, but we're getting younger and it's in the best interests of the CBJ and RJU for him to move elsewhere. I was thinking that we'd retain 20% of salary for a 3rd round pick. We'd also take a problematic ELC contract off of your hands so you'd have an extra roster space."

Other GM: (Has called in asst GM by this time to overhear conversation on speaker phone) "Hmmmm. Isn't RJ due around $4.5 million per year over the next 3 years? I just checked his production per 60 minutes at even strength and, well...... it's not very impressive. (Asst GM is holding hand to mouth to not bust out laughing).

JK: "RJs still a pretty effective 2 way player and has some pretty good leadership abilities."

Other GM: "But didn't Richards scratch him a lot down the stretch when you were desperate for a playoff berth? (Asst GM has been joined by other staffers and the scene is beginning to resemble the classic "Porky's" movie scene relating to tallywackers....everyone is starting to lose it)

JK: "RJ had some nagging injuries and Todd felt that these impaired him such that a scratch was in the team's best interests. How about a 40% salary retention, we'll give you a 4th rounder and we'll take 2 bad ELCs?"

Other GM: (Barely containing himself) "Look, Jarmo. That's very interesting and generous. I'll tell you what. I've got Ville Leino's, Scott Gomez' and Rick Pietro's agents all on hold right now. Let me talk with them and I'll get to you when I'm done." (Room erupts into unrestrained laughter and conversation ends).

Jarmo then calls Chris MacFarland into office and assigns him the duty of all RJU related trade talks.

RJU will have to be waived first in order to be "amnestied". I would expect that to happen by Wednesday next week at the latest.
I could have sworn we already had this conversation w/r/t the likes of Gomez and DiPietro in general and Leino in particular as compared to Umberger. Are you being unwittingly obtuse or are you just simply that unflinchingly determined to bury any possible discussion in meaningless hyperbole?

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
Why Montreal? Is there history there?

Sounds about right. Vancouver + roughly the 9 worst teams in the league.

Maybe we'll end up shipping him to LA at the deadline next year as he provides them a boost to another Cup. :shakehead

If you have defensive holes, then why not go for Dean's choice and draft picks? Manchester NH is overloaded and L.A. can use the roster spot.

Either way, I'll give out a courtesy reminder that any deadline trade deal with the L.A. Kings does not equate "Pau Gasol to Lakers for Kwame Brown". :naughty:

Jack Johnson is thriving in Columbus, so I heard.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I could have sworn we already had this conversation w/r/t the likes of Gomez and DiPietro in general and Leino in particular as compared to Umberger. Are you being unwittingly obtuse or are you just simply that unflinchingly determined to bury any possible discussion in meaningless hyperbole?

Like it or not, Umberger has no market value.

Only case trade scenario would be for CBJ to retain 50% of salary in a giveaway trade or take an equally bad contract in return on a trade (and why do that?). Given that the CBJ can buy him out at 66% and gain salary cap room ( a net cost of $2 million over 6 years wrt to 50% salary retention), that eliminates his only "marketable" option.

So, while Umberger might have twice the market value of those three players whom I had fun with, two times nothing still equals nothing.

It is you who is being obtuse and stubborn in your evaluation of Umberger. RJU is not an asset to the CBJ nor any other NHL team at his salary. He's a straight liability and it will entail significant cost to the CBJ in the disposal process of RJU.

If you have any great trade ideas regarding RJU, get on the horn and talk to the CBJ front office. I'd bet Jarmo would return your call....I'm not kidding. The RJU situation is his albatross and he'd be overjoyed to have someone present him with a viable, non buyout option.

Bet that you'd score a few awesome free season tix for the solution. Go for it.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Like it or not, Umberger has no market value.

This is evidently based on the rock-solid foundation of "because I said so". And now that I've said that, I eagerly await your presentation of the same five cherrypicked charts you've posted about seven or eight times, carefully selected to minimize value while giving the veneer of authoritative illustration, without regard to the fact that research doesn't count as validation unless you explore ALL alternatives, not just the ones that support your agenda.

So, while Umberger might have twice the market value of those three players whom I had fun with, two times nothing still equals nothing.

And by similar brilliant mathematical logic, Johansen is worthless because he's at least five times Umby's value if not more, but five times nothing is still nothing.
And I fully expect to see some contentless blather about how that's different because "Johansen can actually play hockey" or some other similar drivel.

It is you who is being obtuse and stubborn in your evaluation of Umberger.

When two parties are discussing a topic, and one of those parties stands fast to a single opinion and keeps submitting the exact same evidence over and over for same, while the other party submits some evidence against, then some possible conjecture, then other evidence, then a moderated reposition, then a bit more information, then withdraws that information when it's demonstrated to be irrelevant, then another reposition, and then more evidence, but never actually reaches the same position as the other party - the latter isn't the one being stubborn and unyielding. It's about process, not eventual capitulation.

One would think that after Steve Mason had managed to, y'know, actually still have an NHL career after he left, this would have had a moderating influence on your apparent tendency to demonize players. So far, tho, it doesn't look like it, and that's kind of a shame.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
This is evidently based on the rock-solid foundation of "because I said so". And now that I've said that, I eagerly await your presentation of the same five cherrypicked charts you've posted about seven or eight times, carefully selected to minimize value while giving the veneer of authoritative illustration, without regard to the fact that research doesn't count as validation unless you explore ALL alternatives, not just the ones that support your agenda.

And by similar brilliant mathematical logic, Johansen is worthless because he's at least five times Umby's value if not more, but five times nothing is still nothing.
And I fully expect to see some contentless blather about how that's different because "Johansen can actually play hockey" or some other similar drivel.

When two parties are discussing a topic, and one of those parties stands fast to a single opinion and keeps submitting the exact same evidence over and over for same, while the other party submits some evidence against, then some possible conjecture, then other evidence, then a moderated reposition, then a bit more information, then withdraws that information when it's demonstrated to be irrelevant, then another reposition, and then more evidence, but never actually reaches the same position as the other party - the latter isn't the one being stubborn and unyielding. It's about process, not eventual capitulation.

One would think that after Steve Mason had managed to, y'know, actually still have an NHL career after he left, this would have had a moderating influence on your apparent tendency to demonize players. So far, tho, it doesn't look like it, and that's kind of a shame.

What a rambling mess.

The notion of reaching some middle ground on all areas of disagreement as a result of discussion is a necessity is ridiculous.

Please submit a useful RJU trade for discussion. Your time is running out. Less than a week until buyout.

"Demonize players". What faux high moral ground are trying to establish:shakehead.? Mason was a train wreck for 3 years. He deserved to be roundly criticized. He was awful. He resurrected his career in Philly. Wasn't going to happen in Columbus. Hockey players aren't "demonizing" material.

Last edited by a moderator:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The notion of reaching some middle ground on all areas of disagreement as a result of discussion is a necessity is ridiculous.

So you're just here to proselytize, instead of debate?

Please submit a useful RJU trade for discussion. Your time is running out. Less than a week until buyout.

I have attempted to on multiple occasions, and have been able to do so on T&R. Here, though, discussion keeps getting hijacked by "LOL he's worthless" tripe.

"Demonize players". What faux high moral ground are trying to establish:shakehead.?

I'm not. I'm pointing out that you've overreacted to this degree before, insisting that Mason wasn't worthy to be an ECHL goaltender (let alone an NHL one) over and over and over and that any chance of him "resurrecting his career" was folly and/or misplaced sentimentalism. I can pull up the posts if you like. That you acknowledge his having done so in Philly is a major shift (and gives me some hope :) ); I'm just trying to suggest that maybe you step back and reconsider your conclusions before resuming your hijack quest. I'm not the one here insisting that the only possible outcome is that which I predict.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
So its now less than 1 week until the draft and there still seem to be no valid trade rumors around Umberger.

Seems to me a case of where there is no smoke, there is no fire.

If he is dealt, it will be simply to get the roster spot free. I don't have a feeling there will be anything of value in returned and the trade will only be slightly better than the buyout option.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So its now less than 1 week until the draft and there still seem to be no valid trade rumors around Umberger.

Seems to me a case of where there is no smoke, there is no fire.

If he is dealt, it will be simply to get the roster spot free. I don't have a feeling there will be anything of value in returned and the trade will only be slightly better than the buyout option.
Absence of evidence continues to not be evidence of absence.

(Of course, that goes both ways. :) )

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Nick Biss ‏@nickjbiss 2m

The Sabres just bought out Leino for a RJ type blunder.... no way they want Umberger.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Both are overpaid for what they produce, and both consequently are whipping boys of their fanbases. That's kind of about it.

And thats about where it ends. Leino got paid a 4.5 cap hit to score 0 goals last season. At least Umberger scored 18.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad