The Columbus Dispatch: Umberger wants out (Dispatch link post #276)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
NHL.com pegged him as one of the top-10 most likely compliance buy-out candidates in the offseason, for what it's worth.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
A compliance buyout costs 2/3 of the remainder of the deal (not counted on the cap), but we can trade him and only have to pay 1/2 or less (counted on the cap, I think). Some team will want him for 2.3-3m. So I think it depends on whether ownership wants to spend to the cap or not. If they do, then we use the compliance buyout. If not, then a trade with salary retained is what we should do.

CBJRzeznik

Mar 8, 2014
NHL.com pegged him as one of the top-10 most likely compliance buy-out candidates in the offseason, for what it's worth.

I believe his full NMC moves to a limited NMC where he has to provide a list of teams willing to accept a trade to. MTL, and reportedly other teams, have expressed interest. He scored 18 goals this year has the size and grit some teams covet (yes....you MTL). I suspect the trade route will be explored (with modest return at best unless part of a package deal with considerable $ shifting teams) and if nothing can be reached he will likely be a compliance buy out. Umby has been a good soldier for the CBJ but his salary is likely too high for the role he plays on the present version of the team. I wish him well wherever he lands next. Going into next season with nearly $25 million to sign our RFAs and make transactions via FA/trade is an exciting prospect

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
I think it depends on Richards's future. I think Umberger was significantly better than last year. If this is last year, I say yes. But he is useful on this team when he is in his office 6 ft from the net.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
It's obvious to me the CBJ are going to make a big play for Callahan in the offseason. If they get him, whose place does he take? Umberger's is the most likely.

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio
I'm probably in the minority, but I'm a big fan of Umby. He's still an effective player, and he actually played pretty well in the 1st half.
8 of his 18 goals came on the PP this season, so there's proof he's not completely worthless.

Besides the last, what, 20 games of the season for RJ, he was really good, and was appearing to have a bounce back season.
I think Umby is still capable of being a 20-25 goal and 50-55 point guy, as are several other Jackets. And that's how this team scores; by committee. So when RJ is healthy, he's definitely a big part of our offense.

I'd say keep RJ, and see what he does next season/in the playoffs. If he is ineffective, then trading him at next season's deadline wouldn't be a bad option.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think it depends on Richards's future. I think Umberger was significantly better than last year. If this is last year, I say yes. But he is useful on this team when he is in his office 6 ft from the net.

Which if he occupied most of the time like Tomas Holmstrom would be wonderful. Unfortunately I didn't see that happen much of the time.

The problem here is that many fans fall in love with all of our players and can't/don't look at the big picture. Realistically, where does Umbie fit? I have outlined my opinion on that in the building a cup contender thread and I just don't see him ideally fitting anywhere. So why keep a 4.6/yr guy who has no clear cut role?

Trade him or compliance him I don't care but I think he will go.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Is there not more important things to discuss right now? Seriously, off season stuff can wait.

Some of us just can't wait 2 weeks. :sarcasm:

And besides most of us here have more opinions than noses (ahem) so why not talk about them?

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
I think rj is one of those contracts you wish you had the power to renegotiate. It just seems like he would wan to stay in Columbus and really he'd probably still get 4 mil plus on the open market, UVA being overpaying and all

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Umby & Horton both fit the CBJ identity, get a better return for other players anyways.
Only trade them when someone better develops, i dont see anyone like that.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Umby & Horton both fit the CBJ identity, get a better return for other players anyways.
Only trade them when someone better develops, i dont see anyone like that.

It could be argued that Jenner is the guy to displace Umberger. I don't see Horton going anywhere for the next 2 years at the least.

I agree with cslebn. Umberger isn't a bad fit, he's just a bad fit at his price which is unfortunate.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
It could be argued that Jenner is the guy to displace Umberger. I don't see Horton going anywhere for the next 2 years at the least.

What I'm saying is, until Jenner has multiple back to back 20goal seasons, then wait.
I'm sure teams are calling Jarmo more about Jenner than for Umby.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Which if he occupied most of the time like Tomas Holmstrom would be wonderful. Unfortunately I didn't see that happen much of the time.

The problem here is that many fans fall in love with all of our players and can't/don't look at the big picture. Realistically, where does Umbie fit? I have outlined my opinion on that in the building a cup contender thread and I just don't see him ideally fitting anywhere. So why keep a 4.6/yr guy who has no clear cut role?

Trade him or compliance him I don't care but I think he will go.

And as I previously pointed out, your outlined opinion gives major minutes in his place to unproven guys like Skille and Tropp who have never even come close to Umby's goal total between them combined, let alone any one of them getting there.

It's a false savings. It really is. I think folks are wanting him bought out simply because they're still bitter about the extension, not because of actual performance, current and historical.

* * *​
It's obvious to me the CBJ are going to make a big play for Callahan in the offseason. If they get him, whose place does he take? Umberger's is the most likely.

Tremendous mistake if they do. Callahan has only ever done better than Umberger in point scoring all of once, is smaller, and would cost much much more.

Seriously, this is completely irrational. We do not stand to gain anything useful, positive, constructive, or helpful by dumping Umberger, despite the wild fantasies of his many, many opponents.

* * *​
I think rj is one of those contracts you wish you had the power to renegotiate. It just seems like he would wan to stay in Columbus and really he'd probably still get 4 mil plus on the open market, UVA being overpaying and all

How much did Nathan Horton get on the open market? That's about what Umberger would get. Maybe slightly less. Maybe.

You only think I'm exaggerating. They're both guys prone to production slumps (umby thru play, Horton thru injury) who regularly put up at or about 20 goals in a season and have established reputations for turning it on the playoffs.

Last edited:

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
I wouldn't even be remotely surprised to see RJ get that much money. I'm just not always sure he's worth it.

I think it's the problem the jackets have in general. Lots of guys who can put 20 g per year but may not or may do more. Umby is just the easiest for people to pick on since he makes more than foligno, dubi, Jenner, letestu, Horton, cam, etc. Not really a bad problem to have but not easy to fix (personnel decisions that cut and may not pay off).

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I wouldn't even be remotely surprised to see RJ get that much money. I'm just not always sure he's worth it.

I think it's the problem the jackets have in general. Lots of guys who can put 20 g per year but may not or may do more. Umby is just the easiest for people to pick on since he makes more than foligno, dubi, Jenner, letestu, Horton, cam, etc. Not really a bad problem to have but not easy to fix (personnel decisions that cut and may not pay off).

Excellent post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad