Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Quinn Hughes

Votes: 182 82.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
What does that have to do with your original remark of them being remarkably similar in the regular season?
Other than a 10 point difference in the regular season, their stats were remarkable similar.

You said a 10 point difference was huge and was the difference between a great D-Man and a Good D-Man. I said, "Fair enough, there's a 10 point difference in the playoffs but going Bouchard's way".

I just proved to you that it doesn’t in evaluating how good a defender is though? Lol

How does a goalie making a save excuse a dog shit defensive play?

A bad play is bad regardless of whether the goalie makes a save or not. Simple as that. So bringing in goalies really doesn’t show anything.

If Hughes OR Bouchard turns over the puck at the blue line it’s a bad play regardless if the goalie makes a save or not, so how can a goaltender cover up for a defensemen if you watch the games?
When Hasek played for the Sabres, the D got huge benefits both offensively (points) and defensively (+/-) having him as a backstop because they knew they could take chances they would not be able to take if they had an average goalie.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Other than a 10 point difference in the regular season, their stats were remarkable similar.

You said a 10 point difference was huge and was the difference between a great D-Man and a Good D-Man. I said, "Fair enough, there's a 10 point difference in the playoffs but going Bouchard's way".

When Hasek played for the Sabres, the D got huge benefits both offensively (points) and defensively (+/-) having him as a backstop because they knew they could take chances they would not be able to take if they had an average goalie.

Where did I say that

you seem obsessed with hyperbole

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Anyways, if you say anything about any of the Hughes brothers that does not involved bowing to them, this board goes insane. Before that happens, I am signing off and going to bed.

Good night all. Congrats Oilers. Very happy you won. Bring the Cup home.

Where did I say that

you seem obsessed with hyperbole
Re : "Where did I say that"

See BELOW.

Re : "you seem obsessed with hyperbole"

Good Lord. Grow up. :facepalm:

Still a 10 point difference
hence the reason one is favored to win the norris and the other isnt a finalist
^^ You did say it. ^^

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Anyways, if you say anything about any of the Hughes brothers that does not involved bowing to them, this board goes insane. Before that happens, I am signing off and going to bed.

Good night all. Congrats Oilers. Very happy you won. Bring the Cup home.

Re : "Where did I say that"

Maybe it was someone else.

Re : "you seem obsessed with hyperbole"

Good Lord. Grow up.

^^ You did say it. ^^

still waiting for where i said that
"You said a 10 point difference was huge and was the difference between a great D-Man and a Good D-Man."

rea

Feb 8, 2011
An afterthought that has 20 points as a defenseman and leads the playoffs in ES scoring, right?
I didn't deny his production. Did he not also cost you games? This is all opinion big guy, but I have fairly good confidence, that it'll be a landslide in the choice for Hughes over Bouchard regardless of how he finishes these playoffs. And I'm also pretty confident, without the ability to prove it, that if you were to ask every gm of every team in the league who'd they pick, with salary or not, the choice would be overwhelmingly slanted in Hughes' favor.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017

Yet somehow with the worst goalie in the playoffs Bouchard is leading in points and plus/minus.

I agree that you play differently and more loose knowing that you can get bailed out, but I’m talking about decision making that shows your defensive prowess regardless of who is in net.

I don’t care if it’s the second coming of Hasek himself in net, if it’s a two on one and you play the shot instead of the pass, that’s a red flag. If it’s a clean break out and you can skate it out or outlet but you go glass and out, that’s a red flag. (Not saying Bouchard does this).

If they both make a move at the blue line and turn it over, I have more faith in Hughes rushing back and recovering than Bouchard. How does a goalie affect this at all?

Bouchard is making gutsy ass plays with Pickard/Skinner in net. I’m pretty sure he’ll play the same way regardless of whose backstopping lol.

Zanon

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
Well I don’t see anyone going insane in this thread to be honest. Sounds like you are just not liking the answers you are getting.

Reactions: Breakers

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Yet somehow with the worst goalie in the playoffs Bouchard is leading in points and plus/minus.

I agree that you play differently and more loose knowing that you can get bailed out, but I’m talking about decision making that shows your defensive prowess regardless of who is in net.

I don’t care if it’s the second coming of Hasek himself in net, if it’s a two on one and you play the shot instead of the pass, that’s a red flag. If it’s a clean break out and you can skate it out or outlet but you go glass and out, that’s a red flag. (Not saying Bouchard does this).

If they both make a move at the blue line and turn it over, I have more faith in Hughes rushing back and recovering than Bouchard. How does a goalie affect this at all?
O.K.

Well I don’t see anyone going insane in this thread to be honest. Sounds like you are just not liking the answers you are getting.
Every time I answer and sign off, someone else replies. And again and again and again.

The answers are fine.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Anyway, like I said, this won't end so we can agree to disagree.

I am on the East Coast and it is 2:15 a.m. I am off to bed. Goodnight all.

do you understand quoting?
Come on...

Okay... I paraphrased you. At the end of the day, that's what you said - even if it wasn't verbatim.

Good night.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Hughes is better at skating with the puck on his stick. Bouchard is better defensively, bigger, stronger and has a better and more diverse shot. Passing probably a saw off. He also comes up big in important moments.

Easily Bouchard

He’s not better defensively. And Hughes’ skating with the puck allows him to control the tempo of the game. So much transition play runs through him, including zone entries, and then in zone, so much relies on his movement at the line, whereas Bouchard, while a great first pass out of the zone also has the horses up front to do more to gain the zone and set up, as well at create their own lanes. Bouchard is probably a better fit on a team like Edmonton where they don’t need the things Hughes brings as much, and his shot is a huge plus, but I don’t think he’d be able to replace the things Hughes does for the Canucks.

DimitriL07

Jan 24, 2023
Vancouver BC
lol at the Hughes slander. If Mcd is injured then his drop in standard is excused. If Quinn is playing hurt then it’s people saying it’s an excuse. The guy could barely skate since the Preds series. As a Nuck fan I admit he’s gotta learn the playoff game and be better conditioned for it but that will come as he gets more reps. To compare him after 7 games is ridiculous.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I know why this thread was created, but its a ridiculous one and no legitimate person would vote for anyone besides hughes.

You guys won the series and he contributed, but as I've pointed out in another thread, with Hughes, no fan ever says oh f*** we got this version of Hughes this game, something I saw frequently from the Oilers fan base.

Bouchard, I can give him respect for putting up points these playoffs and year for that matter, he's doing it with 2 of the top 5 best players in the league, and he can still be a tire fire on defense.

There's a reason why the Oilers were consistently purposeful trying to body Hughes and push him, it's cuz of his importance. I can't say Bouchard was anything more than an afterthought for the canucks.

Just my opinion, as you were
Hughes had his moment of looking like a tire fire defensively, he got embarrassed by Dylan Holloway of all people

I didn't deny his production. Did he not also cost you games? This is all opinion big guy, but I have fairly good confidence, that it'll be a landslide in the choice for Hughes over Bouchard regardless of how he finishes these playoffs. And I'm also pretty confident, without the ability to prove it, that if you were to ask every gm of every team in the league who'd they pick, with salary or not, the choice would be overwhelmingly slanted in Hughes' favor.
He was a minus in one game against the Canucks and that was game 5.

He was +7 during the series

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Bouchard had a fantastic series, & was better than Quinn in this series, but this is still Hughes.

Hughes is the best skater on his team, a team that won the Pacific division. Bouchard is 5th best..

Great player & a perfect fit for EDM, but its just not a fair comparison. Imagine if Bouchard is the best skater on your team.. your probably a bubble playoff team at best.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

rea

Feb 8, 2011
Hughes had his moment of looking like a tire fire defensively, he got embarrassed by Dylan Holloway of all people

He was a minus in one game against the Canucks and that was game 5.

He was +7 during the series
Listen, we can agree to disagree. If that's your guy, I don't care and I ain't mad. Bringing up these stats will not change my stance, nor do I believe it would for the majority of people who watch the game.

Without caring to look, I have full confidence, that if you went through the GameDay threads of both teams, that the posts on Bouchard and his play, had consistent polarizing views based on his play, up and down, greatly outnumber the way Hughes was viewed.

Did he make mistakes? Sure. As I've said, he was a consistent target of your teams attention to focus on him physically to wear him down. You guys won, it worked. I don't care for excuses or will I try justifying why or what. History is written and it remembers the winners. What your team purposefully deemed an important focus to target, was Hughes. Vancouver did not have that Same value in Bouchard, and there is a big reason. I'm positive no team would target him.

Bouchard does not drive play. He is an extension of your top forwards gaining possession and controlling flow in the ozone. He has a great shot, and it did made a difference this series, but he isn't the creator of opportunity.

Again, your team won, you can be happy to have your dman and believe he is better or more important. If stats are all that tell the tale for you, cool. Doesn't matter to me beyond me loving to debate shit.

I still stand by the belief it would still be a landslide in one direction as to which player any fan, management, journalist, just anyone with an opinion about whom to choose given the choice, it wouldn't fall majority Hughes.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Bouchard is much better. Defensively, offensively, he’s a complete package. His hockey IQ though is what really sets him ahead of Hughes.

The only thing Hughes has on Bouchard is more dynamic looking offence that fools people into thinking he’s better. Bouchard doesn’t need to mak 5 spins at the blue line to produce. He does it way more efficiently and smartly, his movements are subtle but more effective than Quinn’s. And Hughes can’t touch his shot, which is near generational for a defenceman.

Last edited:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
lol at the Hughes slander. If Mcd is injured then his drop in standard is excused. If Quinn is playing hurt then it’s people saying it’s an excuse. The guy could barely skate since the Preds series. As a Nuck fan I admit he’s gotta learn the playoff game and be better conditioned for it but that will come as he gets more reps. To compare him after 7 games is ridiculous.
He was hobbled coming out of the Preds series cause he can’t handle the physicality of the playoffs. It’s not just random happenstance. Meanwhile Bouchard can handle it, which is a key part in why he’s better amongst many other reasons.

• Haha
Reactions: Ace of Hades

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Right now, no glimpse into the future development of Bouchard, easily take Q Hughes.

Healthy, he’s still a step above Bouchard

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Hughes absolutely demolishes Bouchard and doesn't play with anyone as good as Ekholm.

Hughes also was no where near 100 percent and was labored/banged up when he faced the Oilers in the playoff series. A Healthy Hughes would've dominated.

Only the most biased Oilers fans would argue this is close or in his favor. Hughes is better at everything besides shot power.

Nonsensical thread based off of recency bias.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad