Ukranian hockey and an UGLY incident

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
The action itself is disgusting. Make no mistake. But I want to know why it's so hard for leagues to take a stance against racisms. Boot this scum out of the league. What more do they need? He made a legitimate racist gesture while caught on camera.

I'm sick of hearing that same excuse over and over again about "emotions got the better of me". All leagues need to stand up against racism and boot it the hell out. Regardless of who it is. This player should be gone from all professional levels of hockey.

GagneHanson12

Aug 15, 2011
The punishment is a joke
Just for reference, it is the max punishment available under the Ice Hockey Federation of Ukraine (FHU) rulebook. Whether its the max is too lenient or not is another issue (my opinion is it is too lenient but either way), but that's where the 3+10 comes from. Also, average salary in Ukraine is (well, it differs from source to source) 15,000-22,000 UAH, so this is 3 games, plus 2+ months average salary. Salary in the UHL isn't really available, but I don't suspect there is that much more money than the average salary in at 2nd/3rd biggest team of the UHL.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Just for reference, it is the max punishment available under the Ice Hockey Federation of Ukraine (FHU) rulebook. Whether its the max is too lenient or not is another issue (my opinion is it is too lenient but either way), but that's where the 3+10 comes from. Also, average salary in Ukraine is (well, it differs from source to source) 15,000-22,000 UAH, so this is 3 games, plus 2+ months average salary. Salary in the UHL isn't really available, but I don't suspect there is that much more money than the average salary in at 2nd/3rd biggest team of the UHL.

Hence why the IIHF should get involved.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
People dont seem to understand this is Ukraine. Zero f***s given. I'm surprised he got a suspension at all

Reactions: Firsov99

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Lets cancel this player.

He's getting cancelled. One way...or the other. It's only a matter of time.

And since the UHL...and MAYBE the IIHF...won't do a damned thing, the players will have to do the job. And that's the sad thing.

Last edited:

Chrisinroch

Jan 5, 2013
The Golden Triangle
FINALLY, some strong punishment! The Ukrainian league has fired…..<checks notes>…. the GM who criticized the racist gesture, stood with the player and criticized the 3-game ban and fine as being ridiculously light.

ThorTilen

Oct 23, 2021
Didn't Akim Alui once try to file a racial complaint against the Calgary Flames because they didn't want to hear that garbage rap music he wanted to play in the locker room?

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
Player complains about a coach using the N-word but you're going to allege it was solely because the player played "garbage" rap music. Oof, you might want to think a little more next time. Or maybe you knew what you were doing but didn't care.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I noticed that Anton Yatsyshin retired from the Calgary Hitmen at the age of 18.

Does anybody know if this has anything to do with Ukraine's military 18-60 age range and what's happening there?

Just wondering.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Smereck went on to play for Bietigheim in the German DEL for the rest of last season.

He put up some fairly strong numbers for a bottom-feeder in the league, but also took a lot of penalties.

Although he was the team's highest scoring defenseman, they did not re-sign him this summer.

Eliteprospects is not reporting a current destination for him for this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad