Player Discussion Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen (2017, 54th)

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
With how volatile the position can be, it'll be interesting to see how he carries over from this stretch into another season. It'll be interesting to see what they wind up doing for a contract and if they learned anything from Ullmark's negotiations.
It will be on UPL to maintain this level or even improve. I don't see weaknesses right now that shooters just need time to get more looks and a better read on him. If he keeps this up until the end of the season and he gets an Ullmark-esque 1 yr deal walking him another year toward UFA status, I just don't know how my therapist will be able to handle our appointments.

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
One thing I like about UPL recently is that he doesn't get rattled after letting in a soft one.

He gave up that weak goal in the first minute against EDM and was rock solid after.

I don't know a thing about goalie mechanics but just the way he moves makes him look more confident if that makes sense.. He looks calm, composed when tracking the puck instead of flopping around and being sporadic. You saw that in the shootout also

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
One thing I like about UPL recently is that he doesn't get rattled after letting in a soft one.

He gave up that weak goal in the first minute against EDM and was rock solid after.

I don't know a thing about goalie mechanics but just the way he moves makes him look more confident if that makes sense.. He looks calm, composed when tracking the puck instead of flopping around and being sporadic. You saw that in the shootout also

He looks very big and very poised in there.

I hesitate to pull this card because it's only been a 20-game stretch and I'm not suggesting he's that good. But his presence since since the calendar turned has reminded me of Carey Price.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It will be on UPL to maintain this level or even improve. I don't see weaknesses right now that shooters just need time to get more looks and a better read on him. If he keeps this up until the end of the season and he gets an Ullmark-esque 1 yr deal walking him another year toward UFA status, I just don't know how my therapist will be able to handle our appointments.

Yeah, I like his composure and level of calm/control in the crease that lends itself to the team being more settled too. They don't get the yips it seems in part because the goalie is making saves and making them look easier because he's not fully spasming around the crease.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
The biggest difference I notice is the rebound game has improved. He may not be “controlling” them but he is much more aware of where the second shot is coming from and is getting in position to make that stop.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
He's got confidence and that's so important in a goalie. His hard work on his game has paid off:

1710105837882.png

Look of a guy who is feeling it

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
GIXEaPvWgAAa6YC.jpg

UPL is doing well in the areas he can control.

Capture.PNG

Long range shots are his biggest area for improvement. But, I wonder if traffic in front of him is an issue here.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
It frustrates me that UPL started in only 17 of the 38 games up to New Year's, and he only got that many because Comrie got hurt. He didn't get a start until after two weeks in the season, and then the 3 goalie carousel only ended after Levi proved he wasn't ready.

UPL had to slap the coaching staff into reality, with help from fate.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
It frustrates me that UPL started in only 17 of the 38 games up to New Year's, and he only got that many because Comrie got hurt. He didn't get a start until after two weeks in the season, and then the 3 goalie carousel only ended after Levi proved he wasn't ready.

If that’s what it took to unlock this guy going forward for years well it may have been worth the infuriating slog this season has been.

Last edited:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

I agree..but UPL was brutal in preseason.

Reactions: Chainshot

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
If that’s what it took to unlock this guy going forward for years well it may have been worth the infuriating slog this season has been.
Totally agree with this. The three goalie situation was obviously not ideal, but plenty of people thought the solution was to bail on UPL. Adams trying to balance holding on to UPL's potential with getting Levi into the org with whatever promises were needed was a tricky task.

He didn't thread the needle perfectly wrt optimizing this season, but we do have what might be the best u25 goalie duo in the league moving forward.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
He's got confidence and that's so important in a goalie. His hard work on his game has paid off:

View attachment 833840
Look of a guy who is feeling it
I think the bringing in Levi to challenge him activated a sleeping giant. With his size and speed and the way he’s developed, we could have ourselves a franchise goalie.

If he continues this level of play and Sabres barge into the playoffs, he should get Vezina considerations. Long way to go.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I think UPL would have won us that late game in NJ last year.

I hate to be that guy who states that warm-ups mean anything at all, but...... it felt like every practice shot was going in the net when Levi was in net and nothing when UPL was.

At the time, I thought: doesn't mean anything, but, uh oh.

Levi lost us that game. Or was it Granato? Or Adams?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad