Player Discussion Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen (2017, 54th)

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Screenshot_20240309_104541_Instagram.jpg

RoyalOverNavy

Feb 25, 2023
Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen earned himself some money this week.
Two (more) strong performances, and watched from the bench in a 4-2 Sabres loss.

What's the prediction here for money and term?

I'm not worried about the money, He'll get paid.
Term better be at least three years. I'm hoping for five.

The Colonel

Jul 7, 2008
Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen earned himself some money this week.
Two (more) strong performances, and watched from the bench in a 4-2 Sabres loss.

What's the prediction here for money and term?

I'm not worried about the money, He'll get paid.
Term better be at least three years. I'm hoping for five.
Difficult to predict but if I were the Sabres I would offer him 5 by 5

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Does Levi ask for a trade the day after we sign UPL to 5x5 tho?
Doubt it. Even "backup" goalies play a ton of games these days. It's more like a tandem. It's not like he's backing up prime 65-game Brodeur. Plus, with injuries and the chance that UPL, like all goalies, will have some slumps, he'll still get plenty of ice time.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Doubt it. Even "backup" goalies play a ton of games these days. It's more like a tandem. It's not like he's backing up prime 65-game Brodeur. Plus, with injuries and the chance that UPL, like all goalies, will have some slumps, he'll still get plenty of ice time.

UPL looks like a 65-70 game per year starter

Over the past 2 years, he showed he is at the top of his game when he is the workhorse

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
UPL looks like a 65-70 game per year starter

Over the past 2 years, he showed he is at the top of his game when he is the workhorse
He does, but nobody does that anymore. Only a few goalies play 60 games per season. Hellebuyck led the league last year with 64. And teams that have 2 good goalies (like the Bruins) tend to share the workload more evenly.

Thoughts on UPL's next deal? I'm torn on how many years to give him.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
One only needs to look at Boston. Sign Ullmark, Swayman plays well enough to earn more starts, eventually won the net and Ullmark was almost traded at the deadline, probably gets moved this offseason.

Even if UPL got an Ullmark sized deal, and keeps playing well, that shouldn't necessarily serve as an impediment to Levi.

Reactions: Dingo44

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
He does, but nobody does that anymore. Only a few goalies play 60 games per season. Hellebuyck led the league last year with 64. And teams that have 2 good goalies (like the Bruins) tend to share the workload more evenly.

Thoughts on UPL's next deal? I'm torn on how many years to give him.

doesn't matter what others do.

What matters is what is best for the team. Elite starting goaltending is what is best, and if that takes UPL playing 65-70 games, then UPL plays 65-70 games

As for UPL, I want to see what he does next year before committing. I'd give him 2 years at 3.5 and if he backs this year up with next year, then I give him something like 6 for 8

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
doesn't matter what others do.

What matters is what is best for the team. Elite starting goaltending is what is best, and if that takes UPL playing 65-70 games, then UPL plays 65-70 games
There's a reason that no goalies play more than 65 games. It's not just because it's trendy. Similar to baseball. Starting pitchers throw a lot fewer innings. They get better results that way. Just like how shifts are shorter now than they were 25 years ago. They have guys that analyze this stuff for a living. It's not just guesswork.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Who cares if he does. This organization doesn't need to kiss the ass of kids and UPL looks like the real deal. Trying to force Levi in as the starter this season was a major bonehead move. There is no guarantee that Levi sticks as an NHL regular.
I really like Levi but this. If Luukkonen wins by becoming an absolute stud, he wins. So do the Sabres more importantly.

Luuk is still only 25.

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
There's a reason that no goalies play more than 65 games. It's not just because it's trendy. Similar to baseball. Starting pitchers throw a lot fewer innings. They get better results that way. Just like how shifts are shorter now than they were 25 years ago. They have guys that analyze this stuff for a living. It's not just guesswork.

some of those guys also miss the plot.

Hasek would not have been Hasek had he been on a tandem. Just as Greg Maddux wouldn't have been Maddux had he not been throwing so many complete games.

Some guys are meant to be workhorses. UPL seems like one who needs the net nearly every game, or else his play dips, as it has when he has had to share the net.

The best plan is the one that sets the team up for success, not one that merely plays the odds

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
some of those guys also miss the plot.

Hasek would not have been Hasek had he been on a tandem. Just as Greg Maddux wouldn't have been Maddux had he not been throwing so many complete games.

Some guys are meant to be workhorses. UPL seems like one who needs the net nearly every game, or else his play dips, as it has when he has had to share the net.

The best plan is the one that sets the team up for success, not one that merely plays the odds
Hasek is arguably the best goalie of all time, and was extremely unorthodox in every respect. Maddux is one of the best pitchers of all time. When UPL starts playing at Hasek's level, I'll consider your point. And btw, Hasek only played 65 games 4 times in his career (and only hit 60 games 5 times) - and it was not uncommon back then.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
With how volatile the position can be, it'll be interesting to see how he carries over from this stretch into another season. It'll be interesting to see what they wind up doing for a contract and if they learned anything from Ullmark's negotiations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad