Line Combos: Ugghhh...

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
3 years as GM of the team and we see Caggiula and Slepyshev as wingers for the most talented player in the world 3 fn years just looking at the line combos shows the piss poor team chia has built while dealing away our best assets for huge underpays just FU Chia Just FU same to you Nicholson from not stopping the new Milbury

Reactions: Aerrol

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
3 years as GM of the team and we see Caggiula and Slepyshev as wingers for the most talented player in the world 3 fn years just looking at the line combos shows the piss poor team chia has built while dealing away our best assets for huge underpays just FU Chia Just FU same to you Nicholson from not stopping the new Milbury

McDavid needs a winger no doubt. But its not like Chiarellis telling TM to use Cagguila and Slepshev for his wingers.

Reactions: nabob

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
McDavid needs a winger no doubt. But its not like Chiarellis telling TM to use Cagguila and Slepshev for his wingers.

It's not like his other options are great. Strome? Worthless. Lucic? Never meshes, too slow to keep up. Maroon? Probably a better call than the other options but still too slow imo and not ideal. Chias obsession with dumping our existing skilled wingers has forced this situation.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Fine than who Draisaitl who we drafted to be a center or 3rd liner Maroon or no hands Lucic . We had 2 really good wingers 1 franchise (Hall) and another who is in top 28 in production against all current players(Eberle) since he laced them up and almost career identical stats as Brad Marchand poof both gone , but hey we got Ryan anyone other than our Pro scouts can see Useless Strome.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
We can never try Maroon-McDavid-Pulju again eh? THat line has been together for 13 minutes total this year. They scored 1 goal, 0 against.

That always seemed like the super obvious line to me since before the year started, but I guess I'm not a super genius like McLellan. The actual obvious thing to do is to watch Lucic not even realize McDavid is passing to him for wide open shots at the net. That thing that happened like a dozen times in the first 2 games back after Christmas and put the final nail in the coffin for the season.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
It's not like his other options are great. Strome? Worthless. Lucic? Never meshes, too slow to keep up. Maroon? Probably a better call than the other options but still too slow imo and not ideal. Chias obsession with dumping our existing skilled wingers has forced this situation.

I agree that theres no ideal wingers for McDavid. But Maroon, Lucic, Puljujarvi are actual NHL players. Theres also options of Draitsaitl and RNH on the wings. Cagguila and Slepshev are fringe NHL/AHL players. Strome? Who knows. He hasnt been great this year but I also dont think TM has really done anything for him to at least try to put him in a position to succeed. Dont think Strome has played one game with McDavid this year and he has gotten very little top 6 opportunity. At this point I doubt Strome would make much of an impact, maybe if he had gotten a little bit support at the start of the year he wouldnt be worthless now.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Fine than who Draisaitl who we drafted to be a center or 3rd liner Maroon or no hands Lucic . We had 2 really good wingers 1 franchise (Hall) and another who is in top 28 in production against all current players(Eberle) since he laced them up and almost career identical stats as Brad Marchand poof both gone , but hey we got Ryan anyone other than our Pro scouts can see Useless Strome.

Eberle played with McDavid last year and he was pretty much worthless. He didnt bring anything to the line.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I agree that theres no ideal wingers for McDavid. But Maroon, Lucic, Puljujarvi are actual NHL players. Theres also options of Draitsaitl and RNH on the wings. Cagguila and Slepshev are fringe NHL/AHL players. Strome? Who knows. He hasnt been great this year but I also dont think TM has really done anything for him to at least try to put him in a position to succeed. Dont think Strome has played one game with McDavid this year and he has gotten very little top 6 opportunity. At this point I doubt Strome would make much of an impact, maybe if he had gotten a little bit support at the start of the year he wouldnt be worthless now.

Strome got a few games in October and November on McDavid's wing and he did shit all with the opportunity. Also played wing for Draisaitl. I don't buy that he hasn't gotten a fair opportunity. That's really only Slep and Pulju.

I do agree that the lines could be better but hey, Todd seems to want to be fired at this point.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Strome got a few games in October and November on McDavid's wing and he did **** all with the opportunity. Also played wing for Draisaitl. I don't buy that he hasn't gotten a fair opportunity. That's really only Slep and Pulju.

I do agree that the lines could be better but hey, Todd seems to want to be fired at this point.

Not really going to argue because I dont think Stromes even worth arguing about. I dont even know if I would say that he hasnt a fair opportunity. I just dont think TM puts his players in a position to succeed (and that speaks for more players than Strome, including the two you mentioned).

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Eberle played with McDavid last year and he was pretty much worthless. He didnt bring anything to the line.
He was good with him the year before that scoring 25 in 69 players have down years almost all of them Tavares had one last season Islandeers should've sold him low Duchene had 2 really bad down years same with MacKinnon they should of been dumped for garbage . these are players Chia traded away as a GM and the returns ended up crap for the Bruins and Oilers show me one player on this list that Chia ever returned in a trade chia is a Cancer to any Organization
JobiE1j.png
IXvQW9W.png

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
He was good with him the year before that scoring 25 in 69 players have down years almost all of them Tavares had one last season Islandeers should've sold him low Duchene had 2 really bad down years same with MacKinnon they should of been dumped for garbage . these are players Chia traded away as a GM and the returns ended up crap for the Bruins and Oilers show me one player on this list that Chia ever returned in a trade chia is a Cancer to any Organization
JobiE1j.png
IXvQW9W.png

Wow that is damning. What are you sorting by? Points since 2006?

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Not really going to argue because I dont think Stromes even worth arguing about. I dont even know if I would say that he hasnt a fair opportunity. I just dont think TM puts his players in a position to succeed (and that speaks for more players than Strome, including the two you mentioned).

Yeah he really doesn't. Very odd player usage, especially this year. I see it as emblematic of his inability to find solutions so he's at the 'f*** it let's try this' stage. Other than our godawful special teams which are apparently above reproach.

...you know what? I don't even know. Maybe he's just gone insane.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Awesome post VainGretzky. That graphic should be telecast, should be in the media, should be in every paper and news source in the city. I was always aware of the players Chia dealt but the degree to which those have been so high up on the top producers in hockey is even more compelling.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Awesome post VainGretzky. That graphic should be telecast, should be in the media, should be in every paper and news source in the city. I was always aware of the players Chia dealt but the degree to which those have been so high up on the top producers in hockey is even more compelling.
It honestly infuriates me that he is still in control of this team , and I dread what happens next Look at Duchene production and he returned more in a trade than any of those Chia trades ever did

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Yeah he really doesn't. Very odd player usage, especially this year. I see it as emblematic of his inability to find solutions so he's at the '**** it let's try this' stage. Other than our godawful special teams which are apparently above reproach.

...you know what? I don't even know. Maybe he's just gone insane.

I just think I feel a bit bad for Strome. Because he was traded for Eberle, and because Oilers fans are so passionate, hes always going to be compared to Eberle. To start the year Strome got very little Top 6 time when they had Draitsaitl on the first line. He mostly played 3rd line with fringe wingers (hard for anyone to produce). Eventually he did end getting some time with RNH, but it was pretty minimal. Last year Eberle got put in every opportunity to succeed, and his play ultimately ended up him losing things like PP1 minutes. So I personally just think its a pretty unfair comparison between him and Eberle. Management put Strome in a tough spot. Further to that the coach really didnt put him any position to succeed. And Chia didnt do anything with the extra 3.5mil of cap space which would of a spread out some of the blame on Strome. I.E. if Chiarelli had picked up Vanek for 2mil, and Stafford for 800k and got Strome, people would probably put less blame on Strome.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I just think I feel a bit bad for Strome. Because he was traded for Eberle, and because Oilers fans are so passionate, hes always going to be compared to Eberle. To start the year Strome got very little Top 6 time when they had Draitsaitl on the first line. He mostly played 3rd line with fringe wingers (hard for anyone to produce). Eventually he did end getting some time with RNH, but it was pretty minimal. Last year Eberle got put in every opportunity to succeed, and his play ultimately ended up him losing things like PP1 minutes. So I personally just think its a pretty unfair comparison between him and Eberle. Management put Strome in a tough spot. Further to that the coach really didnt put him any position to succeed. And Chia didnt do anything with the extra 3.5mil of cap space which would of a spread out some of the blame on Strome. I.E. if Chiarelli had picked up Vanek for 2mil, and Stafford for 800k and got Strome, people would probably put less blame on Strome.
Sry if I don't feel bad for Strome he has made more money already than 95% of all Canadians with many more dollars to come because he will bounce around another 3 years or so before being out of the league he might end up being ok 10 years in with experience but he is just not that good of a hockey player . He does not bury many good chances he has had a lot of PP time his production is horrible.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017

It's why I hate these discussions. I don't think its right to pile on players who are brought in or up that have to play above their skill level.

Strome being a whipping boy because the GM screwed the pooch on a trade is not fair to him

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Building off of @VainGretzky ’s post, I thought I’d dig a bit more into Chiarelli’s propensity for trading top talent and losing the deal miserably. He has traded 5 of the top 30 point getters in the last 8 years (going back to the 2010-2011 season, Eberle and Hall’s first NHL season). These are: Phil Kessel (6th), Blake Wheeler (15th), Tyler Seguin (18th), Taylor Hall (26th), and Jordan Eberle (28th).

It’s bad enough that he traded 5 of those players, but for fun let’s now look at what he traded these five players for:

Phil Kessel for Toronto’s 2010 First Round Pick (Seguin, 2OA), 2010 Second Round Pick (Jared Knight, 32OA), and 2011 First Round Pick (Dougie Hamilton 9OA)
Blake Wheeler and Mark Stuart for Rich Peverley and Boris Valabik
Tyler Seguin, Ryan Button, Rich Peverley for Loui Eriksson, Reilly Smith, Joe Morrow and Matt Fraser
Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson
Jordan Eberle for Ryan Strome

Looks pretty grim, so I wanted to compare the careers points for all these players:

Kessel (704 pts) vs Seguin (469 pts), Jared Knight (0 pts), Hamilton (198 pts) = Net -37pts
Wheeler (568 pts), Stuart (93 pts) vs Peverley (241 pts), Valabik (7 pts) = Net -413pts
Seguin (469 pts), Button (0 pts), Peverley (241 pts) vs Eriksson (547 pts), Smith (223 pts), Morrow (16 Pts), Fraser (16 Pts) = Net +92pts
Hall (429 pts) vs Larsson (94 pts)= Net -335pts
Eberle (420 pts) vs Strome (143 pts)= Net -227pts
Total Net: -970 points (!!!)

So even on a very rough and dirty look at these trades not taking into account player age and track records, Chiarelli has cost his teams almost 1000 NHL points. And this is helped by the Seguin trade looking a lot better than you’d expect given how badly Eriksson crashed afterwards, and Reilly Smith being a total nothing for everyone until he got to Vegas (EDIT: I think I'm not giving Smith enough credit upon a further look. Half-decent numbers for a while).

Honestly, this is even worse than I thought before I saw @VainGretzky ’s post. Can we please fire him before he sells the rest of our stars for garbage?

Edit: Let’s break it down by points post trade to better reflect what they’ve done since Chiarelli got rid of them.

2009: Kessel (578) vs Seguin (469), Knight (0), Hamilton (198) = Net +89 pts
2011: Wheeler (458), Stuart (53) vs Peverley (97), Valabik (0) = Net -414pts
2013: Seguin (348), Button (0), Peverley (30) vs Eriksson (190), Smith (214), Morrow (16), Fraser (14) = Net +56
2016: Hall (101) vs Larsson (25) = Net -76
2017: Eberle (38) vs Strome (17) = Net -21
Total: -366

Still pretty godawful.

Last edited:
Reactions: VainGretzky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad