GDT: UFC on ESPN: Santos vs. Hill/PFL 7

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Regardless of the outcome this might be a good wakeup call for Hill. Needs to get in better shape and be stronger to compete against the wrestlers at the top of this division. If Santos can do this to him, some of the others will just maul him.
He got the win but he got the win because Santos was exhausted. Hill didn't look good here, he looked like he was over confident and thought it was going to be easy. He didn't look in shape to wrestle, the guys at the top of this division will eat him alive if he doesn't make changes.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Not as easy as expected, but he got the win... Hill will struggle, he will have hard time against Jan, Rakic, Ankalaev, Glover... Maybe even Volkan and Reyes (if he comeback from that beating).

Reactions: Taytro

bov

Nov 13, 2010
That was wild. Hill might be wearing the belt pretty soon.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
That was wild. Hill might be wearing the belt pretty soon.

The division is wide open and Hill hits hard with a chin so who knows. But, big holes in his game as we saw tonight.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Not a chance, especially not if he keeps looking like this.
Disagree. This is the type of fight he needed to go through. Ankalaev would be a tough matchup but I take Hill over Glover, Prochazka and Blachowicz all day.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
1659848735414.png

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Lol, you won't beat Jiri bro...
Jiri was getting worked over by Teixeira for a good amount of his fight. People criticize Hill for having holes in his game yet bring up Jiri? The champion himself has shown plenty of holes.

Santos KO'd Jan and managed to take him down when they fought. It's not like Jan is some dominant wrestler.

Hill would absolutely destroy Glover on the feet.

Tonight he went into deep waters, showed a great chin, and took out Santos who looked like he had something to prove.

In no order, Ankalaev, Hill and Jiri are the top 3 at 205 rn.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
How close is Thiago from being cut? 1-5 in his last 6, only win was an incredibly lame 48-47 decision against Johnny Walker.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Jiri was getting worked over by Teixeira for a good amount of his fight. People criticize Hill for having holes in his game yet bring up Jiri? The champion himself has shown plenty of holes.

Santos KO'd Jan and managed to take him down when they fought. It's not like Jan is some dominant wrestler.

Tonight he went into deep waters, showed a great chin, and took out Santos who looked like he had something to prove.

Santos KO'd Jan a couple of years ago. As others have mentioned Santos hasn't looked the same since the Jones fight/knee injury.

Hill looks good and a threat, but it wasn't that long ago he lost to one dimensional Paul Craig. That was certainly more recent than the Santos/Jan fight.

Hill has talent and skill but I would say this fight shows he has some work to do. Certainly has the potential but lets pump the breaks on him being the 2nd best fighter in the division.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario

Wildly wrong analysis IMO. Hill proved nothing in this win other than showing he has gas tank and he has issues getting off the mat and off the fence.

I'd like to see Hill vs Reyes or even Jan to prove he's a real contender. Other than that he's in the top 5 but doesn't deserve a title shot and definitely didn't prove he's top 3.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
They answer to both of these is that theyre company men but I'll explain my opinions.
He’s 0-8-1 in his last 9 fights I believe. I don’t know how he is still employed.

He’s awful.
Alvey is the ultimate anti-union guy in the UFC and the UFC loves him for that. He's proved that he doesn't belong but he says yes to every fight and is open about not wanting Unions, so UFC keeps him around.

How close is Thiago from being cut? 1-5 in his last 6, only win was an incredibly lame 48-47 decision against Johnny Walker.
Santos is/was a very exciting fighter, he's also in a very weak division right now. Keep him around until he falls out of the ranking and then let him go but you can't really thin LHW out anymore because it's one of the worst divisions as far as talent is concerned right now.

Reactions: I am not exposed

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Just wait and see for Hill's next fight. If it's anyone other than Ankalaev he will get the job done. Plus, up & comers historically take out the older guys who have already seen their peak, I expect no different if he faces Glover or Jan.

This fight reminded me in some ways of Khamzat vs Gilbert, in that some people acted like he was "exposed" and not as good as everyone thought. It's exactly what needed to happen for their career and they will make their next opponent pay dearly.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Just caught up on the card, impressive night of fights

Surprised Mohammed Usman won TUF, I watched him in PFL and it was rough. Damn near killed a guy though. Glad he did after the late shot Pauga threw in round 1

Rough night my Fav 5. At least Luque and Thiago gave us warriors exits 😭. Looking like two high end gatekeepers at this point. Thiago hasn’t been the same since coming back from surgery but I’m grateful we got to see some of his old wildness in spurts.

Hill is very good, I expected him to win and he delivered. I think he showed a lot of heart tonight and I was hoping he’d call out Jan. Happy he did.

Battle is gonna be ranked at some point in the next couple of years but won’t fight for a title (imo). In that Magny range. Nothing wrong with that. Flatlined Sato.

Spivac’s hands have improved immensely

RIP Alvey’s UFC run. That HAS to be it.

McKinney did what he was supposed to

Standing O for the entire card, finishes everywhere

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Not to seem like Vince McMahon but Usman is good for the division. And if Usman can develop that's really good for the division. He looks the part. That's very marketable. You have too many badly out of shape guys at HW these days.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Just wait and see for Hill's next fight. If it's anyone other than Ankalaev he will get the job done. Plus, up & comers historically take out the older guys who have already seen their peak, I expect no different if he faces Glover or Jan.

This fight reminded me in some ways of Khamzat vs Gilbert, in that some people acted like he was "exposed" and not as good as everyone thought. It's exactly what needed to happen for their career and they will make their next opponent pay dearly.
I will don't think we watched the same fight. Hill was losing on the scorecards to an old, out of his prime, and exhausted Santos. He couldn't get out of the clinch, he struggled to get off his back, and he ate some wild shots (and leg kicks too). He won the fight because Santos visibly gassed, he didn't make Santos gas, Santos did it to himself with wild kicks/overhands and shooting takedowns from halfway across the universe.

I'm not saying Hill is bad, he might be a legitimate contender if he makes some adjustments but I have no idea how you can look at this fight that just happened and say that he will without a doubt beat the current champion and everyone else in the division not named Ankalaev, and make them "pay dearly". I don't understand what you saw that would make you think that. It was one of Hills less impressive performances to date IMO.

Reactions: I am not exposed

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It will be interesting where they go with Hill next. The top four guys should be matched up vs each other in some way, which kind of leaves Hill on the outside looking in. Rakic/Smith out with injuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad