GDT: UFC on ESPN: Santos vs. Hill/PFL 7

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
It will be interesting where they go with Hill next. The top four guys should be matched up vs each other in some way, which kind of leaves Hill on the outside looking in. Rakic/Smith out with injuries.
I think Dominik Reyes could be the perfect gatekeeper/prove it fight here. Hill will be ranked what, 5/6? Reyes is 7, former title challenger on a 3 fight losing streak to all the champs, probably won't take Hill down. Those are the kind of fights you put a guy you're trying to build up in if everyone above him is busy.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Hill's holes were on display, but still, he basically walked down a guy with heavy hands and got him out of there. Santos is not the same, but he was swinging in this fight. Hill had to eat a few, but for the most part was beating him to the punch. Reyes or Volkan are the 2 guys I'd be looking to match him up against next. Top 4 guys should be fighting each other in some combination, Rakic and Smith are hurt, so the next top ranked guys are Reyes and Volkan. Besides, I think he needs another fight or 2 until he's in the title picture.

Really questionable game plan from Santos or very pure execution of it. That much wrestling, especially from a non wrestler, is exhausting and on top that he was throwing everything with 100% power and too much spinny shit. No wonder he was exhausted.

Neal looked incredible. Luque is always there to hit and Neal hits hard, but I didn't think he'd be able to get him out of there with how tough Luque is. Definitely not in 3 rounds. It seemed like he couldn't miss and Luque's shots weren't having as much of an impact. Didn't realize Neal already has a winner over Belal, but a lot of stuff needs to shake out at WW. No idea where you go next with Neal. I'd love to see Luque-Masvidal, but I don't know if that's a fight Masvidal would take.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think Dominik Reyes could be the perfect gatekeeper/prove it fight here. Hill will be ranked what, 5/6? Reyes is 7, former title challenger on a 3 fight losing streak to all the champs, probably won't take Hill down. Those are the kind of fights you put a guy you're trying to build up in if everyone above him is busy.

Hill's holes were on display, but still, he basically walked down a guy with heavy hands and got him out of there. Santos is not the same, but he was swinging in this fight. Hill had to eat a few, but for the most part was beating him to the punch. Reyes or Volkan are the 2 guys I'd be looking to match him up against next. Top 4 guys should be fighting each other in some combination, Rakic and Smith are hurt, so the next top ranked guys are Reyes and Volkan. Besides, I think he needs another fight or 2 until he's in the title picture.

Really questionable game plan from Santos or very pure execution of it. That much wrestling, especially from a non wrestler, is exhausting and on top that he was throwing everything with 100% power and too much spinny shit. No wonder he was exhausted.

Neal looked incredible. Luque is always there to hit and Neal hits hard, but I didn't think he'd be able to get him out of there with how tough Luque is. Definitely not in 3 rounds. It seemed like he couldn't miss and Luque's shots weren't having as much of an impact. Didn't realize Neal already has a winner over Belal, but a lot of stuff needs to shake out at WW. No idea where you go next with Neal. I'd love to see Luque-Masvidal, but I don't know if that's a fight Masvidal would take.

Oezdemir/Krylov are already booked. Hill vs the winner of that makes sense but the timing isn't great. I guess you could do Hill/Craig 2 but it's a bit early for a rematch.

I don't really like a Reyes/Hill matchup. Reyes Iost 3 in a row and should be fighting someone a bit lower.

As for Neal, the fight v Burns is lazy but it works. Could also see him vs Rakhmonov, or the Usman/Edwards loser. Even the Brady/Belal loser works. Some good options.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
That was such a fun card. One of the better fight nights I've seen recently.

It's probably good for Hill that he had to go through a tough fight like that. He had to work hard for that one and it showed that he still has areas to improve on or else one of the top guys will take advantage. Way too many wild swings and misses where he was putting everything into it. That likely played a role in him slowing down along with all the wrestling he was doing. He also doesn't mind leaving himself open to getting countered and brawling, which is fine for now but probably won't be for long. His wrestling defense wasn't too bad early on but that's clearly another area where he can improve.

That's a lot of negatives but overall there was still more good than bad. I really like him and I think he has a shot at any of the top guys, including the champ, because of his power, speed, and length. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he beat one of Jiri, Glover, or Jan in his very next fight. I don't think he'd be the favourite and I may not even pick him but it just wouldn't be a shock.

Neal looked amazing. Going in I thought this was going to be a good match up for Luque.

I thought Usman's striking looked awful but HW MMA is weird like that. All it took was one perfectly timed shot and he got it done. I don't watch TUF so I don't really know what to think of him right now.

Reactions: CDJ

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Oezdemir/Krylov are already booked. Hill vs the winner of that makes sense but the timing isn't great. I guess you could do Hill/Craig 2 but it's a bit early for a rematch.

I don't really like a Reyes/Hill matchup. Reyes Iost 3 in a row and should be fighting someone a bit lower.

As for Neal, the fight v Burns is lazy but it works. Could also see him vs Rakhmonov, or the Usman/Edwards loser. Even the Brady/Belal loser works. Some good options.
Missed the Volkan-Krylov booking.

Meh, Hill is a step back in competition for Reyes. He's lost 3 in a row, but they were to Jones (who everybody except the judges thought he beat), Jan, and Jiri, all champions. If he can't beat Hill, then I don't know. Maybe he was just a flash in the pan and worrying about getting him back on track doesn't really matter.

Reactions: Taytro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad