GDT: UFC on ESPN: Kattar vs. Emmett/PFL 4

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Judging needs to be revamped for sure. I thought it was a close fight so I didn’t have an issue with the decision, I thought Kattar won.

Maybe go to five judges so you scrub out the idiot. John and Josh were talking about some of their judges watching and scoring the fight on 10 inch monitors. They often have poor visibility of the fight. They should be watching almost a top down view of the fight

Reactions: td_ice

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Judging needs to be revamped for sure. I thought it was a close fight so I didn’t have an issue with the decision, I thought Kattar won.

Maybe go to five judges so you scrub out the idiot. John and Josh were talking about some of their judges watching and scoring the fight on 10 inch monitors. They often have poor visibility of the fight. They should be watching almost a top down view of the fight

The antiquated system of having the judges there live or watching on tiny monitors is the #1 issue. They are so set in their ways and refuse to catch up with technology.

I'm not saying I'm perfect at judging, but when I give 100% attention and am watching on my HD big-screen I feel like generally I can calls things pretty well. I'm sure many others are the same. I'm not nearly as confident that I could do that cageside.

The other issue is just the scoring system in general. They need to reward obvious rounds more and razor-thin rounds less. It will lead to more draws but I actually think that's a good thing as records will be more legit than what we have in the sport. Boxing gets this second part right.. they just have their own judging issues.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Just watching Luke Thomas’s recap now and he said it best- “oh well, what can you do?”

Feel so bad for these fighters. At least I’ll win some money due to shitty judging some other time, Kattar ain’t getting that 5-6 figures back

Totally agree with your scoring btw. I can at least understand if the judges went 1-2-3 for Emmett. The argument is there. I don’t agree but could live with it. Round 4 for Emmett is criminal. There’s not even a quality/damage argument for him, that was the round Kattar had him looking like Voldemort lost a fight with a lawnmower. He was a mess going into round 5. Hell it would’ve been better for Lee to give Emmett round 5! That was definitely the closer round of the two
Watching Luke's recap, WTF is he talking about this fight told us Holland's got some pop to his punches? Didn't we already know that? Dude was knocking out guys at 185. I mean, he knocked Jacare out sitting on his ass. I know Jacare's not the indestructible terminator he used to be, but still.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Watching Luke's recap, WTF is he talking about this fight told us Holland's got some pop to his punches? Didn't we already know that? Dude was knocking out guys at 185. I mean, he knocked Jacare out sitting on his ass. I know Jacare's not the indestructible terminator he used to be, but still.
Yeah it’s been very clear he’s got pop. He kept one punch sniping Buckley too, and we saw Buckley eat a head kick like a delicious snack last night. And that’s up a weight class. Fairly obvious the power would play at 170 lol

The antiquated system of having the judges there live or watching on tiny monitors is the #1 issue. They are so set in their ways and refuse to catch up with technology.

I'm not saying I'm perfect at judging, but when I give 100% attention and am watching on my HD big-screen I feel like generally I can calls things pretty well. I'm sure many others are the same. I'm not nearly as confident that I could do that cageside.

The other issue is just the scoring system in general. They need to reward obvious rounds more and razor-thin rounds less. It will lead to more draws but I actually think that's a good thing as records will be more legit than what we have in the sport. Boxing gets this second part right.. they just have their own judging issues.
Completely agree

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario

Commentating and judging from cageside have been frustrating me for years. Having been to fights live, I know that you can't see everything the same way as from your livingroom. The angles and visibility make it impossible to have the same outlook on the fights as the wide audience.

I think it results in judges trusting the audience feedback a lot for stuff they can't see. I think they can't properly see big events or misses. And I also think these guys aren't experts enough in the sport to be judging the fights in the first place. It will change as the sport grows but judging has been an issue for years.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Commentating and judging from cageside have been frustrating me for years. Having been to fights live, I know that you can't see everything the same way as from your livingroom. The angles and visibility make it impossible to have the same outlook on the fights as the wide audience.

I think it results in judges trusting the audience feedback a lot for stuff they can't see. I think they can't properly see big events or misses. And I also think these guys aren't experts enough in the sport to be judging the fights in the first place. It will change as the sport grows but judging has been an issue for years.

Some of these judges have been doing it for many years. They aren't going to get any better under the current system.

Reactions: Taytro

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Friggin' love DC. Put Hawes in his place real quick. Also seems extremely loyal as well. Staying composed there must've been really tough for him.

I know Winn is DC's protege but my advice to him would be stop just short of DC's diet. Guy should be fighting at 155.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Friggin' love DC. Put Hawes in his place real quick. Also seems extremely loyal as well. Staying composed there must've been really tough for him.

I know Winn is DC's protege but my advice to him would be stop just short of DC's diet. Guy should be fighting at 155.
Yeah Hawes telling that DC picked the wrong horse was kind of cringe. Like of course DC is going to prefer his teammate, that's common sense. DC dealt with it very well, way better than I expected and still got the octagon interview!

And yea, Winn doesn't have the same skill as DC, he can't fight 2/3 weight classes up and be able to get away with it. He absolutely needs to get the weight down if he's going to have success. The average height in that div is like 6 inches taller than him, some of the bigger guys are 9 inches taller. His 1-3 record should be an indication that a change is needed, I think he can definitely get to 170.

Reactions: BGDDYKWL

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Winn is gonna lose every fight to anybody who has decent striking at 185, the reach disadvantage is too much for guys at this level. They’ll keep picking him apart. They can keep him at distance so his takedowns are shot from way out too, and that’s his avenue to victory so that puts him at a real disadvantage

Reactions: Taytro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad