GDT: UFC on ESPN: dos Anjos vs. Fiziev

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Wow. It was trending towards RDA but Fiziev came out in round 5 like a man on a mission, despite probably being up 3-1 anyway. Solid fight and can't wait to see what's next for Fiziev.

Reactions: I am not exposed

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
1657427058018.png

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I thought it was early at first but the ref had a better angle than the tv camera. It was perfect

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Can't believe how many people on Twitter are saying this was an early stoppage

I thought it was early at first but the ref had a better angle than the tv camera. It was perfect

Not gonna lie, I thought it was early at first too before I realized a few things.

1. I have bias towards RDA, wanted him to win.
2. RDA was not recovering from that.
3. I might just enjoy seeing people take completely unnecessary shots.

Reactions: MMC

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
After watching Smith allow Vanderaa get killed it'd be easy to think the Fiziev v. RDA stoppage was early just by comparison. The inconsistency within the same card is jarring.

Reactions: Taytro

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Some of the advice Lentz gave in between rounds 4 and 5 to Fiziev helped lead to that knockout. He was telling him to aim at the top of the chest instead of the head because RDA was dipping his head and tucking his chin a bit as a response to big actions. Faked a flying knee that got RDA to react and tuck his chin down, immediate left from Fiziev square on the button as RDA was lifting his head back up

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Is it possible Fiziev is one more win away from a title shot?
Only people ahead of him now that Charles hasn't beaten are Islam and Beniel. So if UFC doesn't shake things up by bringing Volk up to challenge, then yea, I could see Fiziev getting a shot if he beats a top 5 guy.

The problem is, those top 5 guys are Chandler, Gaethje, or Poirier. If he beats one of them then he clearly deserves it but... I think it'll be hard to convince the UFC to match one of those guys up with him. If Fiziev wins, they sewer one of their bigger draws in the division. If the opponent wins, then nobody is closer to a title shot and it resolves nothing.

And I don't think Fiziev gets a title shot if he doesn't beat one or them (or maybe Beniel?). Tough to predict really.

Reactions: 16Skippy

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think so much of it will come down to timing here, plus if Volk moves up that throws a wrench into things.

I don't really know what I want to see happen with matchups here. The vets like Chandler/Gaethje/Poirier are some of my favorites but I'd kind of like to see the new group get their shots against them. Don't see why the vets takes those fights though, unless a title shot is close. The other tricky part is that all of the top vets have been finished by Oliveira fairly recently and have no business getting a rematch.

The strangest part?

The UFC has cards scheduled for basically every weekend in July/August/September. They are booking main events in October now.

Not a single ranked 155er has a scheduled fight as far as I can tell.

Some guys just fought and some will be announced, but as best as I can tell there is nothing in the books.

• Wow
Reactions: 16Skippy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad