GDT: UFC on ABC: Ortega vs. Rodriguez

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Don’t really think Emmett or Yair is particularly deserving, I’d have them fight each other and let Volk rest up and heal his hand

Can always run Ortega-Yair back later when Ortega is healthy

Dana seemed kind of open to this in the post-fight presser. Might be an interim if Volk is out awhile

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
It's good that you have nice seats for a card like this with mostly smaller weight classes, if you’re too far back it's really hard to tell what's going on. I remember watching Faber/Cruz from the nosebleeds and really having no idea what was happening. Alcohol probably didn't help.

This is my 3rd live event and it was amazing... I was about ten rows up on the side right behind the media desk. I had decent seats for 268 but I still found myself watching a lot of it on the video boards but this was nuts could see everything going on. I don't know if I could sit up top again... then again I flew first class once and said "I'm never flying coach again" until my next flight when I saw the prices and sat my ass in the back of the plane.

16D2A730-7D1D-4781-B16D-732CDC8AAC8B.jpeg

63E14709-7CC1-4547-AA21-40B6FD563BB2.jpeg

Got there in the middle of the Grant/Stoltzfus fight...

Jacoby vs Jung: Solid first fight to really sit down for place really woke up with that. I usually don't really like when a fighter throws too many punches on a downed opponent but sheesh that was risky from jacoby the way Jung kinda sprung back up. After watching him wobble around it was the right call to stop it but I wouldn't be shocked if a lot of refs let it continue.

Algeo vs burns: I was shocked how much time the ref gave burns to get up the first time. He looked gassed and Algeo just didn't let up or give him a chance to get back into it even if burns wanted to... which it didn't look like he did. I don't know if they showed it on tv but when the round ended it took forever for Burns to get up and it looked like Gilbert helped him up a little bit. Read afterwards Burns coming off ACL/meniscus surgery and his knee blew out again. Which would explain Gilbert Burn legit cradling him and carrying him right past us out of the arena.

Shore vs Simon: This was the fight on the prelims I was most looking forward too and gotta give Simon credit he's a junk yard dog out there. That's a huge win over a big time prospect.

Soriano vs Lungiambula: Another big finish saw pictures afterwards Soriano hands are huge. Lungiambula had that fear of god look in his eye right before he took that last right that put him down for good.

Tate vs Murphy: crowd was very pro Tate which I expected... but damn she looked slow out there. Punching slow take downs slow.

Burgos vs Joirdain: I went back and looked at the cards of the other events I've been too and Burgos actually has fought on everyone. Crowd was hyped for him but i gotta say there are some decent gyms/fighters on Long Island they couldn't throw even a guy like Frevola on this card? I scored rounds 1 and 2 for Burgos and I wasn't going to be surprised to see a 10-8 on at least one scorecard in the third for Jourdain. I honestly don't know how Burgos survived round 3 it was honestly pretty impressive from Jourdain who looked demoralized after the second. I was pretty shocked to see the 10-8 ended up being actually for Burgos... what is this judge even doing there?

Schnell vs Sumudaerji: Easily hands down fight of the night and the crowd was pretty loud for this one. Like Burgos I don't know how Schnell survived getting rocked so many times and then after he was ground and pounding Sumudaerji I don't know how Su reversed it. The sub was pretty sick and Sumudaerji was out cold for a little while in the ring afterwards it was wild. Good to see Dana said after the fight that he's going to give Schnell an extra bonus.

Li vs Salikhov: there was nothing besides a few checked spinning kicks until I said to my brother "wow man there has been absolutely no damage done in this fight.." and when I said "fight" that's exactly when the knock out sequence began lol.

Lemons vs Waterson: crowd was bored I was bored weird ending with the ref not seeing that tap.

Ortega vs Jair: so disappointing. The crowd was really amped up for this and as little we got the both looked pretty good just sucks to see such a good fight and card end like that.

Gonna rewatch the fights now just to get a better sense of how they went down. Was a pretty awesome event I hope they host more at UBS in the future.

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
This is my 3rd live event and it was amazing... I was about ten rows up on the side right behind the media desk. I had decent seats for 268 but I still found myself watching a lot of it on the video boards but this was nuts could see everything going on. I don't know if I could sit up top again... then again I flew first class once and said "I'm never flying coach again" until my next flight when I saw the prices and sat my ass in the back of the plane.

View attachment 570115
View attachment 570116

Got there in the middle of the Grant/Stoltzfus fight...

Jacoby vs Jung: Solid first fight to really sit down for place really woke up with that. I usually don't really like when a fighter throws too many punches on a downed opponent but sheesh that was risky from jacoby the way Jung kinda sprung back up. After watching him wobble around it was the right call to stop it but I wouldn't be shocked if a lot of refs let it continue.

Algeo vs burns: I was shocked how much time the ref gave burns to get up the first time. He looked gassed and Algeo just didn't let up or give him a chance to get back into it even if burns wanted to... which it didn't look like he did. Read afterwards Burns coming off ACL/meniscus surgery and his knee blew out again. Which would explain Gilbert Burn legit cradling him and carrying him right past us out of the arena.

Shore vs Simon: This was the fight on the prelims I was most looking forward too and gotta give Simon credit he's a junk yard dog out there. That's a huge win over a big time prospect.

Soriano vs Lungiambula: Another big finish saw pictures afterwards Soriano hands are huge. Lungiambula had that fear of god look in his eye right before he took that last right that put him down for good.

Tate vs Murphy: crowd was very pro Tate which I expected... but damn she looked slow out there. Punching slow take downs slow.

Burgos vs Joirdain: I went back and looked at the cards of the other events I've been too and Burgos actually has fought on everyone. Crowd was hyped for him but i gotta say there are some decent gyms/fighters on Long Island they couldn't throw even a guy like Frevola on this card? I scored rounds 1 and 2 for Burgos and I wasn't going to be surprised to see a 10-8 on at least one scorecard in the third for Jourdain. I honestly don't know how Burgos survived round 3 it was honestly pretty impressive from Jourdain who looked demoralized after the second. I was pretty shocked to see the 10-8 ended up being actually for Burgos... what is this judge even doing there?

Schnell vs Sumudaerji: Easily hands down fight of the night and the crowd was pretty loud for this one. Like Burgos I don't know how Schnell survived getting rocked so many times and then after he was ground and pounding Sumudaerji I don't know how Su reversed it. The sub was pretty sick and Sumudaerji was out cold for a little while in the ring afterwards it was wild. Good to see Dana said after the fight that he's going to give Schnell an extra bonus.

Li vs Salikhov: there was nothing besides a few checked spinning kicks until I said to my brother "wow man there has been absolutely no damage done in this fight.." and when I said "fight" that's exactly when the knock out sequence began lol.

Lemons vs Waterson: crowd was bored I was bored weird ending with the ref not seeing that tap.

Ortega vs Jair: so disappointing. The crowd was really amped up for this and as little we got the both looked pretty good just sucks to see such a good fight and card end like that.

Gonna rewatch the fights now just to get a better sense of how they went down. Was a pretty awesome event I hope they host more at UBS in the future.

Those are awesome seats, I don't think I've had any that good. I like front row in the upper deck or high in the lower one.

Agreed with your thoughts on the fights. I was surprised they gave Burns so much time to get up the first time too.

Got some nice finishes there, too bad it ended on on a bad note.

Last edited:
Reactions: Taytro

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Yeah Herbert Burns was getting massacred pretty much everywhere online and I don’t think that was appropriate. Guy clearly blew out his leg again. People can say he was being a front-runner if they want- and it may be true overall (see, Pineda fight)- but that’s just not an accurate portrayal of what happened in this fight. Algeo is a fun fighter to watch but he’s kinda cringe on the mic.

I thought the stars of the day were Schnell, Murphy, Simon, and the love of my life Dustin Jacoby

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
POTN: Jacoby, Algeo, Simon, Soriano, Leech, Lemos

FOTN: Schnell-Mudaerji

4 wins via Triangle under the UFC banner for Schnell

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Yeah Herbert Burns was getting massacred pretty much everywhere online and I don’t think that was appropriate. Guy clearly blew out his leg again. People can say he was being a front-runner if they want- and it may be true overall (see, Pineda fight)- but that’s just not an accurate portrayal of what happened in this fight. Algeo is a fun fighter to watch but he’s kinda cringe on the mic.

I thought the stars of the day were Schnell, Murphy, Simon, and the love of my life Dustin Jacoby

That’s true but there’s also this

I think if Burns hadn’t already shown himself to be a quitter he’d get leeway but it appeared just like typical Burns again yesterday

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
That’s true but there’s also this

I think if Burns hadn’t already shown himself to be a quitter he’d get leeway but it appeared just like typical Burns again yesterday

i think it’s a silly narrative and quite frankly idrc that Su fought through that, that’s good for him. Herbert’s already blown the knee out, it’s not a comparable situation. I think the fans of the sport need to be better and have more respect for the person putting his body on the line for their entertainment

Reactions: N o o d l e s

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
i think it’s a silly narrative and quite frankly idrc that Su fought through that, that’s good for him. Herbert’s already blown the knee out, it’s not a comparable situation. I think the fans of the sport need to be better and have more respect for the person putting his body on the line for their entertainment

Yes I’ve torn up my knee but couldn’t imagine playing through it. I more meant that there is already that perception of Burns (and rightfully so not counting yesterday) and that Su news being announced the next day isn’t going to bode well for him in fans eyes

Last edited:

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario

Yes I’ve torn up my knee but couldn’t imagine playing through it. I more meant that there is already that perception of Burns (and rightfully so not counting yesterday) and that news being announced the next day isn’t going to bode well for him in fans eyes

Looks pretty rough. I'll admit that in the fight it just looked like he gassed and mentally quit, which is why there's a lot of negativity online. I didn't see the typical moment where an injury happened, just saw him slowly breakdown to the point of "retirement" and the commentary supported that. But it does look like a legitimate issue, and we're all just bashing the dude for nothing.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Yes I’ve torn up my knee but couldn’t imagine playing through it. I more meant that there is already that perception of Burns (and rightfully so not counting yesterday) and that Su news being announced the next day isn’t going to bode well for him in fans eyes
I hear you, it definitely doesn’t help the perception. I just wish the fans of the sport would have more respect for the participants in it.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The thing with the Burns one is that the ref should have called it the first time he couldn't get up. Then his corner had a chance to stop it in between rounds (I think) when they knew he couldn't move properly. I get you want fans to be more appreciative but if the fight had been stopped when it should have it wouldn't have been an issue.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The thing with the Burns one is that the ref should have called it the first time he couldn't get up. Then his corner had a chance to stop it in between rounds (I think) when they knew he couldn't move properly. I get you want fans to be more appreciative but if the fight had been stopped when it should have it wouldn't have been an issue.
Also true

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Well that sucks.

Has Volk said when he's fighting next? Could they squeeze in Yair vs. Emmett beforehand to determine the next challenger?

There are so few challengers at 145, I don't think it's prudent for the UFC to book a fight which will send a legit contender to the back of the line

'Legit' in the sense that it's defensible to give them a title shot, not 'legit' in the sense that either will enter those bouts close to even money to leave with the belt

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
There are so few challengers at 145, I don't think it's prudent for the UFC to book a fight which will send a legit contender to the back of the line

'Legit' in the sense that it's defensible to give them a title shot, not 'legit' in the sense that either will enter those bouts close to even money to leave with the belt
If UFC grants Volk his wish of moving up for the 155 belt (and defending it), then what you're saying is to not have the top contenders fight until a possible title fight? With his hand recovery and a potential 155 move, that would mean sitting Emmett or Yair (potentially both) for over a year.

I don't see anyone winning in that scenario.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
If UFC grants Volk his wish of moving up for the 155 belt (and defending it), then what you're saying is to not have the top contenders fight until a possible title fight? With his hand recovery and a potential 155 move, that would mean sitting Emmett or Yair (potentially both) for over a year.

I don't see anyone winning in that scenario.

I wasn't aware until after I'd posted that the champ was injured

I didn't see Emmett's last bout, so I don't know how much recovery time he needs, but I suspect he'd be okay with as quick a turnaround as possible if his next fight was for the title (not saying he should rush back, but be ready to go as soon as he's ready to go kinda thing), and Volk has said he wanted to stay busy, so without knowing about Volk's injury, I figured a title match could be set for 3 - 4 months from now, with Yair taking on the winner 3 or 4 months after that

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Volk isn't fighting until 2023. Emmett/Yair for an interim or #1 contender fight makes sense.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Sucks about the main event. Was looking forward to that one. Both those guys are dogs. If Volk is out for a while either due to his hand or going to 155, though, it solves the problem of Yair or Emmett getting the next title shot. Yair would have been the easy choice with a clean win, but not one like that.

I like Waterson as much as the next guy, but I can't believe this was the co-main on an ABC card. Good win for Lemos to get back on track, though.

Same for the Leach. Good win to get back on track.

Schnell-Mudaerji was wild! What a fight.

I think Burgos got some hometown cooking. I had it 29-27 with a 10-8 R3.

Miesha looked awful. Murphy is tough and scrappy as hell, but Miesha looked sloooooooow and weaker in the clinches. At least we get the most exciting outcome with Valentina fighting the Pena-Nunes winner.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I want your update on how it went.
Dude it was so awesome, first one so I didn't know what to expect but sat in the lower bowl but up high, value seemed great and I was almost worried it was going to be a bad view or something but I think I just got lucky on pricing.

My buddy and I went and decided to hit it early so we went to a diner near the arena for breakfast then shot to the arena and got there as the doors opened. Finally sat down and was pumped about the seats, great view. Took a bit for everyone to show but by the main card it was a sellout, but it was an ornery crowd man people were drinking heavy and often so it may not have looked it but by the time they cut off alcohol every seat was filled. The people around me were awesome, we were doing fun side bets and getting chants going. I wish there were more NYers on the card for that reason, crowd went nuts for Burgos. Also they only showed Aljo for a hot second, would have liked him to get some proper air time on the jumbotron.

The fights were insane collectively, starting from watching Jessica Penne try and survive leg kicks down to Schnell making a miraculous comeback with the whole crowd on it's feet. That was INSANE. Obviously the Ortega-Yair fight didn't work out which sucks but I'd say I got well more than my moneys worth.

After the fight we went back to the area where the diner was and went to a bar for some post fight food, Brett Okamoto and Jonathan from the Mac Life walked in, had a funny exchange with them. Brett was ahead and as I looked at him as he started to walk by I said aloud "Oh you're.." and Jonathan said "Brett" with a smile and I said "Yeah, and you're Jonathan from Mac Life, I like you better" I do but obviously tongue in cheek that Brett just walked by without acknowledgement and Jonathan was friendly enough and said hello after too.

You guys had better views of the fights anyway so I wasn't going to break that down but I know people said Burgos had home cooking but we thought it was a 10-8 him in the second, Jourdain 10-8 in the third so if Burgos had round 1 he'd win.

Reactions: Taytro and m9

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Dude it was so awesome, first one so I didn't know what to expect but sat in the lower bowl but up high, value seemed great and I was almost worried it was going to be a bad view or something but I think I just got lucky on pricing.

My buddy and I went and decided to hit it early so we went to a diner near the arena for breakfast then shot to the arena and got there as the doors opened. Finally sat down and was pumped about the seats, great view. Took a bit for everyone to show but by the main card it was a sellout, but it was an ornery crowd man people were drinking heavy and often so it may not have looked it but by the time they cut off alcohol every seat was filled. The people around me were awesome, we were doing fun side bets and getting chants going. I wish there were more NYers on the card for that reason, crowd went nuts for Burgos. Also they only showed Aljo for a hot second, would have liked him to get some proper air time on the jumbotron.

The fights were insane collectively, starting from watching Jessica Penne try and survive leg kicks down to Schnell making a miraculous comeback with the whole crowd on it's feet. That was INSANE. Obviously the Ortega-Yair fight didn't work out which sucks but I'd say I got well more than my moneys worth.

After the fight we went back to the area where the diner was and went to a bar for some post fight food, Brett Okamoto and Jonathan from the Mac Life walked in, had a funny exchange with them. Brett was ahead and as I looked at him as he started to walk by I said aloud "Oh you're.." and Jonathan said "Brett" with a smile and I said "Yeah, and you're Jonathan from Mac Life, I like you better" I do but obviously tongue in cheek that Brett just walked by without acknowledgement and Jonathan was friendly enough and said hello after too.

You guys had better views of the fights anyway so I wasn't going to break that down but I know people said Burgos had home cooking but we thought it was a 10-8 him in the second, Jourdain 10-8 in the third so if Burgos had round 1 he'd win.
Shows how much I know, his name is Oscar Willis not Jonathan, don’t know where I got that from

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad