GDT: UFC Fight Week: Cormier vs. Jones 2, Jedrzejczyk vs. Gadelha, Dos Anjos vs. Alvarez

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I have a hard time seeing a 10-8 in 4 or 5. No knockdowns, didn't even rock her, and Gadelha was fighting back and landed shots of her own, not to mention had Joanna on the fence a couple of times.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Thats the only round that was close to a 10-8 didnt think it was a 10-8 personally.

The judges seem to be docking that extra point easier this weekend.
I thought it was a 10-8 round by any standards, Claudia wasn't moving at all and Joanna was landing at will.
Claudia has a lot heavier hands than I thought though.

TerminatorBlue

Nov 11, 2007
Canada
Probably minority here but thought Gadelha won 1,2,3 and Jedrzejczyk won 4,5

Didn't think Joanna did enough to warrant a 10-8 round but with that said I guess you have to decisively beat the champ to be the champ.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Crazy output and striking advantage for Joanna but still not sure about 10-8's. Maybe in the 4th round I could see it but not in the 5th.

Regardless, great job by Joanna coming back and winning after losing the first two rounds.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Went back and watched Round 3. Gadelha landed 3 takedowns and got a knockdown. Joanna, however easily got up from all 3 takedowns and the knockdown had no affect on her. Using the UFC's criteria, Joanna won on striking, aggression and Octagon control.

So with the benefit of hindsight, and a PVR, I give Round 3 to Joanna, and the fight to Joanna at 48-47. However I still don't see how 4 and 5 are 10-8s.

TerminatorBlue

Nov 11, 2007
Canada
Went back and watched Round 3. Gadelha landed 3 takedowns and got a knockdown. Joanna, however easily got up from all 3 takedowns and the knockdown had no affect on her. Using the UFC's criteria, Joanna won on striking, aggression and Octagon control.

So with the benefit of hindsight, and a PVR, I give Round 3 to Joanna, and the fight to Joanna at 48-47. However I still don't see how 4 and 5 are 10-8s.

Me neither, she out struck Gadelha but she never even got a knock down.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba

Claudia did nothing but get punched in the 4th round, didn't she land like only 6 strike? I think it warranted a 10-8.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
i was hugely in favor of Claudia. And against Joanna for here miserable attitude.

But let's face it ... Claudia lost. No doubt.

Claudia wasted too much energy in attempting the take downs ... and already ended up the 1st round in deficit of energy. ... the round was in here pocket ... she still survived the second ... by taking it to here account ... but lost the 3 others ... .

At no point in time did Claudia endanger Joanna ... take-downs ... for nothing ... no beatup on the floor ... it went nowhere. She was actually more dangerous with heavy and timely rights.

in fact i didn't like the entry already ... she was too happy to be there ... and to cheer with people ... instead of thinking at here game plan and fight. Result : she lost too much energy in round 1. And that ... she paid in the rest of the rounds by being gazed and .... consequently ... poor thinking... poor decisions.

pity ... i wished better than that for here.
the first fight was closer than this one.

Nurmagomedov

Apr 13, 2015
I listened to John McCarthy's podcast once and he explaines the scoring that you only look at aggression and octagon control if there's no difference in effective striking or grappling. Kinda like tiebreakers, you only look at the criteria below if the top ones are even.

Joanna clearly won effective striking in 3,4,5 and Claudia's grappling wasn't all that effective in those rounds. Right call, imo. Didn't give any 10-8's and the 5th certainly wasn't one.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Sucks about my boy Jake.

Nice to see Will Brooks win his UFC debut.

member 51464

What was the warning about around 1:20 of the 1st of the Joanna/Claudia fight? Sounded like something about an elbow.

Have you all ever seen a 10-7 round? I honestly didn't know that was a thing and feel like anyone getting beat that badly probably has the fight called by the ref.

Through two, I had Claudi winning both 10-9, and while 3 was fairly close, Joanna definitely won imo. I think it was clear. As for 4, JJ definitely won by a lot. Claudi had nothing for her, and since the official criteria for a 10-8 is:

a round is to be scored as a 10-8 round when a contestant overwhelmingly dominates by striking or grappling in a round.

I don't think a 10-8 would've been a out of the question. Then 10-9 for JJ in the 5th. As others have said, the right fighter won, just a matter of points, I guess.

In the TUF fight, you can tell Suarez still has a lot of raw parts to her game, but damn is she a beast! I like the uniforms they got to wear too. They should let more fighters wear those.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
Excited to see Dillashaw fight again. Saw him fight for the first time in the fight before his one vs Cruz (which I thought he should have won). Such an entertaining guy to watch.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Excited to see Dillashaw fight again. Saw him fight for the first time in the fight before his one vs Cruz (which I thought he should have won). Such an entertaining guy to watch.

That was your first time watching him? I suggest both Renan Barao fights which were amazing. He was a massive underdog the first fight.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
That was your first time watching him? I suggest both Renan Barao fights which were amazing. He was a massive underdog the first fight.
I ended up going back and watching most of his fights after the first time I saw him. Awesome fighter.

Sage Northcutt just looks like a Sage Northcutt.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Haven't looked at the official stats, but didn't Joanna outstrike Claudia like 60-6 in the 4th round??? Yah, that warrants a 10-8 round :laugh:

IMO Joanna stole the weekend, that fight was great, and she was amazing, as always.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad