GDT: UFC Fight Week: Cormier vs. Jones 2, Jedrzejczyk vs. Gadelha, Dos Anjos vs. Alvarez

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
200px-UFC_200_event_poster.jpg

Date: July 9, 2016
Venue: T-Mobile Arena
City: Las Vegas, Nevada
Time: 10pm ET/7pm PT
Viewing: PPV

MAIN CARD (PPV)

Light Heavyweight Championship bout: Daniel Cormier (c) vs. Jon Jones (ic)
Heavyweight bout: Brock Lesnar vs. Mark Hunt
Women's Bantamweight Championship bout: Miesha Tate (c) vs. Amanda Nunes
Interim Featherweight Championship bout: José Aldo vs. Frankie Edgar
Heavyweight bout: Cain Velasquez vs. Travis Browne

PRELIMINARY CARD (FS1, TSN 3)

Women's Bantamweight bout: Cat Zingano vs. Julianna Peña
Welterweight bout: Johny Hendricks vs. Kelvin Gastelum
Bantamweight bout: T.J. Dillashaw vs. Raphael Assunção
Lightweight bout: Sage Northcutt vs. Enrique Marín

PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass)

Lightweight bout: Diego Sanchez vs. Joe Lauzon
Middleweight bout: Gegard Mousasi vs. Thiago Santos
Lightweight bout: Jim Miller vs. Takanori Gomi

200px-TUF_23_Finale.jpg

Date: July 8, 2016
Venue: MGM Grand Garden Arena
Viewing: FS1, TSN 5

MAIN CARD (FS1, TSN 5)

Women's Strawweight Championship bout: Joanna Jedrzejczyk (c) vs. Cláudia Gadelha
Light Heavyweight bout: Andrew Sanchez vs. Khalil Rountree (TUF Finale)
Women's Strawweight bout: Tatiana Suarez vs. Amanda Cooper (TUF Finale)
Lightweight bout: Ross Pearson vs. Will Brooks
Featherweight bout: Doo Ho Choi vs. Thiago Tavares
Lightweight bout: Joaquim Silva vs. Andrew Holbrook

PRELIMINARY CARD (FS1, UFC Fight Pass)

Featherweight bout: Gray Maynard vs. Fernando Bruno
Flyweight bout: John Moraga vs. Matheus Nicolau
Light Heavyweight bout: Josh Stansbury vs. Cory Hendricks
Middleweight bout: Cezar Ferreira vs. Anthony Smith

Lightweight bout: Jake Matthews vs. Kevin Lee
Welterweight bout: Li Jingliang vs. Anton Zafir

200px-UFC_FN_July_7_2016.jpeg

Date: July 7, 2016
Venue: MGM Grand Garden Arena
Viewing: UFC Fight Pass

MAIN CARD (UFC Fight Pass, Fight Network)

Lightweight Championship bout: Rafael dos Anjos (c) vs. Eddie Alvarez
Heavyweight bout: Roy Nelson vs. Derrick Lewis
Welterweight bout: Alan Jouban vs. Belal Muhammad
Lightweight bout: Joseph Duffy vs. Mitch Clarke

Welterweight bout: Mike Pyle vs. Alberto Mina
Lightweight bout: John Makdessi vs. Mehdi Baghdad
Bantamweight bout: Anthony Birchak vs. Dileno Lopes
Bantamweight bout: Russell Doane vs. Pedro Munhoz
Bantamweight bout: Felipe Arantes vs. Jerrod Sanders
Lightweight bout: Gilbert Burns vs. Lukasz Sajewski
Bantamweight bout: Marco Beltrán vs. Reginaldo Vieira
Welterweight bout: Vicente Luque vs. Alvaro Herrera

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Whenever you wonder about if guys are actually injured or are just "kind of hurt", look at these cards for your answer. Everyone wants to be a part of the big events. How many injuries were on UFC 200? Brunson and that's it? One fight pass guy?

Even these lead-up cards have been pretty healthy.

Can't wait for all of these fights!

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
200 will be what, about 7 hours of good fights. By far the deepest card in UFC history.

IamJust0ne

May 4, 2006
Why is that July 7 card even there? They should of just added Dos Anjos vs Alvarez to UFC 200.

Lewis/Nelson will have pretty big implications on the HW division going forward, especially if Lewis gets the W. Duffy is also someone else to keep an eye out for, last person to beat Conor in a weight class under 155 lbs. I'm not a Conor apologist or anything, but agreeing to fight Nate at 170 wasn't the smartest move lol

Also OP, I've been wondering. Would it be too much of a pain in the ass to format the posts so the fighters have a small .gif of their country's flag beside their name? It'd be cool to see what kind of representation each card has nationality wise. I could probably help you out if someone here knows where to find .gifs of each flag.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Lewis/Nelson will have pretty big implications on the HW division going forward, especially if Lewis gets the W. Duffy is also someone else to keep an eye out for, last person to beat Conor in a weight class under 155 lbs. I'm not a Conor apologist or anything, but agreeing to fight Nate at 170 wasn't the smartest move lol

Also OP, I've been wondering. Would it be too much of a pain in the ass to format the posts so the fighters have a small .gif of their country's flag beside their name? It'd be cool to see what kind of representation each card has nationality wise. I could probably help you out if someone here knows where to find .gifs of each flag.

No it won't. Both are what they are at this point. Roy Nelson gets crushed by each top ten fighter he faces and destroys guys outside of it. His skill hasn't changed much. He was what he was coming into TUF. Lewis, the same. When he fights a guy with footwork on the feet he gets utterly destroyed and KO'd in vicious ways. Him beating lower pack guys doesn't change a thing. Neither will be a top ten guy.

Joseph Duffy still intrigues me though despite that dominant loss. A lot of it is Dustin Poirier and his roll at LW. Knocking out Bobby Green is really impressive.

Very excited for fight week. RDA vs Alvarez is awesome. I expect a dominant performance over five roudns from RDA. RDA vs Ferguson/Khabib is so sick. Jones vs Cormier isn't an ideal UFC 200 main event for me. Dislike both of them and the first fight wasn't that close. Hate JJ so I'm going for Cormier. Don't think Nunes can finish Tate early, follows it up by gassing and Tate gets a finish. Hunt vs Lesnar is disgusting stuff. Style-wise, great match-up. Great undercard for 200 too. Love Will Brooks, JJ/CG should be sweet. Great fights. Haven't watched a second of TUF. This season any good?

IamJust0ne

May 4, 2006
No it won't. Both are what they are at this point. Roy Nelson gets crushed by each top ten fighter he faces and destroys guys outside of it. His skill hasn't changed much. He was what he was coming into TUF. Lewis, the same. When he fights a guy with footwork on the feet he gets utterly destroyed and KO'd in vicious ways. Him beating lower pack guys doesn't change a thing. Neither will be a top ten guy.

I guess I'm just sick of seeing the same names thrown around at HW and convinced myself Lewis has a chance to make some noise :laugh: I didn't even realize how many fights he's had in the UFC, I thought it was below 5.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I think Lewis/Nelson is going to be a fun one. Lewis is awesome.

I don't really know how to do that and it sounds like a lot of work. Honestly, I just copy/paste from UFC.com and wiki. It takes like two minutes to put together so we have a discussion thread. :laugh:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think Lewis/Nelson is going to be a fun one. Lewis is awesome.

I don't really know how to do that and it sounds like a lot of work. Honestly, I just copy/paste from UFC.com and wiki. It takes like two minutes to put together so we have a discussion thread. :laugh:

I'll just take this chance to say thanks for posting them up like you currently do. Much appreciated.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Fight Pass card thoughts:

Would love to see Alvarez win, but I just don't see it. I don't even think he beat Pettis and he's lucky to be in this fight. I don't know what it is about RDA I don't like.. maybe it's because it's hard for me to take him seriously as a champ because I've seen him lose a handful of fights against average guys. Maybe because he keeps beating my favorite fighters like Pettis and Cerrone. Alvarez is a grinder though, which is why I'll go RDA by decision.

Nelson v Lewis, who knows. Would love to see Lewis take the next step with a big win here. I'll actually go with Lewis to win via TKO. Nelson could easily take him down and win, but that's not his style.

There isn't too much overly exciting on the rest of the card. Interested to see Gilbert Burns, Pedro Munhoz, Duffy, and Jouban all fight but there isn't one other fight jumping out to me.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Ultimate Fighter thoughts:

There isn't too much to dig into here. I haven't watched TUF yet this year, but planning on getting caught up in the next couple of days if it's all on Fight Pass.

I'm going to take Gadelha in the upset here. No real reason other than I think she won the first fight and think she can win again. This time the decision goes her way.

I have no idea what to expect from Will Brooks v Ross Pearson. I think Brooks will kind of grind the fight down and win a decision, I just don't have a feel yet for where he stands in the division. Really good fight actually - a good test, but not an impossible one.

Nice to see Gray Maynard back, interested to see Jake Matthews, and John Moraga usually puts on good fights.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
UFC 200 Thoughts:

I don't even know where to start with this one, might as well go through the entire card. What a card.

MAIN CARD (PPV)
Light Heavyweight Championship bout: Daniel Cormier (c) vs. Jon Jones (ic) - I think Jones takes this one again. Wouldn't surprise me to see the 'rusty' Jones come out a couple times and maybe Cormier gets a takedown or steals a round. Should be a more difficult fight than the first one for him, but I just don't see how Cormier wins this fight. Jones by decision, 49-46 49-46 48-47.

Heavyweight bout: Brock Lesnar vs. Mark Hunt - I do think the most likely scenario is Hunt blasting Lesnar in the face and Lesnar falls back against the fence and Hunt finishes him. For some reason though, I am just going with Lesnar here. Hunt has always been terrible on the ground, especially when he gets thrown on his back. I don't see how he gets up when Lesnar throws him there. I'll go Lesnar by decision here, with a similar win to the Heath Herring fight where he didn't finish but the winner isn't in doubt.

Women's Bantamweight Championship bout: Miesha Tate (c) vs. Amanda Nunes - I wish I was more excited about this fight, but I'm not. Two grinders in a 25 minute fight could get ugly. I will hope for the best, and that's Miesha getting a quick sub in the first 10 minutes.

Interim Featherweight Championship bout: José Aldo vs. Frankie Edgar - This is probably the fight I'm looking forward to most, the fact that this is 4th on a card is insane. I like Frankie here. Some thought he won the first fight (I didn't) but it was close enough so that you have to consider the possibility he can take this one. All I'm going off here is recent track record - we have one fighter that has been active and winning since they last fought, and another who has been in the ring for 13 seconds in the last two years. I'll take Edgar to win a razor-thin split decision. Fight of the Night.

Heavyweight bout: Cain Velasquez vs. Travis Browne - Yet another fight that could go either way. I am going with Cain because I think with him and Cormier both fighting here they are going to in peak form going into this event. Both guys are fighting somewhat similar style matchups too. I think Cain takes Browne and finishes him in the second round.

PRELIMINARY CARD (FS1, TSN 3)

Women's Bantamweight bout: Cat Zingano vs. Julianna Peña - Talk about not knowing what to expect, these are two fairly inactive fighters. I'll go with Cat via decision, but who knows.
Welterweight bout: Johny Hendricks vs. Kelvin Gastelum - It wasn't that long ago that Hendricks was the best 170lb guy. Hopefully that Thompson fight was the wakeup call he was looking for. What are the odds both these guys actually make weight? I'll go Hendricks via decision for the catchweight championship.
Bantamweight bout: T.J. Dillashaw vs. Raphael Assunção - Nobody wants to see Dillashaw lose this one, so I'm not going for Assuncao to ruin the party. We need a KO somewhere on the card, so I'll go Dillashaw via 1st round KO.
Lightweight bout: Sage Northcutt vs. Enrique Marín - I don't know anything about Marin, but I know the UFC wants Sage to win. I think he'll play it safe, but bounce back with a decision win.

Lightweight bout: Diego Sanchez vs. Joe Lauzon - I guess I should have remembered this fight before I crowned Aldo/Edgar the FOTN. I'll switch it up though and say Lauzon catches Diego in a scramble and pulls of submission of the night instead.
Middleweight bout: Gegard Mousasi vs. Thiago Santos - Really intriguing fight. I'll take Mousasi via TKO, but this is a massive fight for Santos.
Lightweight bout: Jim Miller vs. Takanori Gomi - Great fight to lead things off, but I think Jim Miller via some sort of submission involving the head is the way to go.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Good predictions m9, I agree with pretty much all of it.

The Lesnar/Hunt fight was the perfect fight to really push this card over the top. Classic stand-up vs grappler match and I really think it's a toss up.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
How much of all of these cards are people going to watch? Is anyone planning to watch every fight on all 3 cards?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
How much of all of these cards are people going to watch? Is anyone planning to watch every fight on all 3 cards?

Watching everything on UFC 200 for sure.

Likely the same on Friday as well. Maybe not live but at some point I will. I want to see Matthews/Lee and that's on the Fight Pass prelims so might as well just watch the rest as well. I don't watch TUF though so I don't know anything about those fighters.

I'll probably skip half of Thursday's card. For one I'll still be at work when it starts but there's also a lot of random stuff on there. I think I'll try to jump in right before the Makdessi fight and then maybe go back and watch any fights that were good.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
After having seen the staredowns of Joana Jedrzejczyk, and the disrespect she has for all fighters, i hope Claudia beats here ass.

Been watching TUF today and Joanna is hard to cheer for. On the other hand, Gadelha is so relaxed and likeable as a person. It's like Rousey vs Tate all over again.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
All of 200 and the TUF card. Watched TUF this year so I'm interested. The coaches truly seem to hate each other. Good stuff :laugh:

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
In my mind, one of the coolest things about the Hunt/Lesnar fight is that it's literally the type of fight you'd find on a dark ages UFC card. Former Kickboxing world champ vs highly decorated wrestler turned WWE superstar :laugh:, I love it.

I'll be watching all of 200, and at the very least the main cards for the other two, I'll try catch the prelims and fight pass stuff if my work schedule allows it :laugh:.

Happy Fight Week folks :D

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
No GSP or Rory but it looks like we'll still have someone reppin' Canada at UFC 200. I thought he was joking when he said he's fighting out of Saskatchewan but apparently not. Haha. Now I have to root for him on Saturday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad