GDT: UFC Fight Night: MacDonald vs. Thompson

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
No he took a beating against Lawler and he's scarred. Same thing happened to JDS after the 2nd Cain fight.
I don't think so. He's just fighting someone with the same build/reach so he can't get the combinations going the same way he could with smaller guys.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Lawler struggled so badly against the outfighting of Condit and had to rally with the pocket striking.

Wonderboy is an even better outfighter than Condit and has actually has a functionally great counterpunching game to keep that fight to the outside unlike Condit.

I think Lawler does even worst than Rory against Wonderboy

Still think Condit won that fight against Lawler.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Lawler struggled so badly against the outfighting of Condit and had to rally with the pocket striking.

Wonderboy is an even better outfighter than Condit and has actually has a functionally great counterpunching game to keep that fight to the outside unlike Condit.

I think Lawler does even worst than Rory against Wonderboy

Nah Lawler by TKO. People forget Condit is an all time welterweight. MMA math doesn't work.

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant
That Lawler vs. MacDonald fight was epic.

Hope MacDonald finds his confidence, another camp, and makes a successful comeback.

Either in the UFC or in Bellator, now that he's a UFA.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Man, Thompson is such a good striker.

You guys think he's the most talented one to set foot in the UFC?

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
Props to Wonderboy even if it wasn't very exciting. Rory was taking too much punishment when he finally did try to get in close to do anything. Let's not forget WB destroyed Hendricks, a guy with an iron chin inside of a round.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
I was at the show in ottawa last night. It was a great show till the main event snooze fest. Crowd was not happy......

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I know most will disagree, but watching Wonderboy is very similar to watching Anderson Silva. He's always had amazing striking but has rounded out his game enough to be a champ. Amazing progression.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
I think Silva used to be more aggressive and would take more risks than Wonderboy. But just like Silva, unless he gets wrestle ****ed, I don't see anyone beating him.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Thompson is not Silva. Reminds me more of Machida on his run to the LHW title. Silva was more aggressive and flamboyant and taunted his opponents.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
The last time Tyron Woodley fought, the Seattle Seahawks were still the reigning Super Bowl champions. Hope Lawler knocks him out in the first 3 minutes and we can move on to a real title fight.

saintflannel

Oct 6, 2011
Disappointing outing for MacDonald. Hopefully he re-signs with the UFC and starts the crawl back.

IamJust0ne

May 4, 2006
mmafighting.com said:
MacDonald said at the post-fight press conference that it fractured multiple times in training before the fight with Thompson as well. Surgery is a possibility, MacDonald said, but he doesn't know if that will work either.

"I don't know," he said. "I broke it actually a couple times before this fight. I have no idea what to do. I gave it time, it kept breaking. I don't know if surgery is gonna be the best route. I really just have to take time. I'd probably at least look into surgery, see if that can make it stronger, because just time off didn't do *****."

Damn :( Poor Rory...

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Thompson is not Silva. Reminds me more of Machida on his run to the LHW title. Silva was more aggressive and flamboyant and taunted his opponents.

Being flamboyant and taunting is fairly irrelevant to what they're actually doing in the cage. The way Thompson controls distance, using angles and can finish fights is very Silva-like. He has a long, long way to go and probably will never have the resume Silva has, but Rory is probably the worst matchup for him at 170 and he just ran over him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad