GDT: UFC Fight Night: MacDonald vs. Thompson

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Some overall thoughts on the card:

I said it above, but Thompson was really impressive even in a boring fight. Rory was beating Lawler until he got knocked out, and this version of Thompson will beat Lawler too. Thompson will be the next champion.

Donald Cerrone looked awesome at 170. Cote has actually been solid lately and could always take a punch at 185 and 205. Cerrone caught him multiple times and controlled the whole fight. There are so many great matchups for Cerrone at 170, I'm excited to see what's next.

Not much else to add on Bosse v O'Connell. That was a fun one.

Calderwood looked great, but there's a few things in this fight that really jumped out to me. First, people calling for a 125 female division are insane. I saw this all over the weekend, and you already have two other divisions with only a few good fighters. You're going to dilute it even further? Makes no sense. Next, what's wrong with Letourneau? Turning her back multiple times, essentially stopping the fight whenever she felt like it. It was embarrassing in there. People want to blame the ref, but her and her corner need to take some blame too.

Big finishes for Jotko and Cirkunov. Jotko sets the record for "most wins in the UFC for a guy that I barely remember fighting" but that was a nice one.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I said it above, but Thompson was really impressive even in a boring fight. Rory was beating Lawler until he got knocked out, and this version of Thompson will beat Lawler too. Thompson will be the next champion.
I really thought Hendricks was gonna be the test for him. I couldn't believe how easily he rolled through him.

Donald Cerrone looked awesome at 170. Cote has actually been solid lately and could always take a punch at 185 and 205. Cerrone caught him multiple times and controlled the whole fight. There are so many great matchups for Cerrone at 170, I'm excited to see what's next.
After seeing Cerrone at the Fan Expo a few years ago I'm not the least bit surprised to see him doing well at 170. The guy was absolutely huge for a 155er. Seeing him in person you'd think he fought at 185. That cut was probably killing him. Still looked absolutely shredded at 170.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I really thought Hendricks was gonna be the test for him. I couldn't believe how easily he rolled through him.

After seeing Cerrone at the Fan Expo a few years ago I'm not the least bit surprised to see him doing well at 170. The guy was absolutely huge for a 155er. Seeing him in person you'd think he fought at 185. That cut was probably killing him. Still looked absolutely shredded at 170.

Yeah, that's the thing with Thompson.. he's kind of already beat his tougher matchups.

Interesting about Cerrone. It's so weird how some guys are so big in person. Sonnen was always the one for me, I felt like a little kid next to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad