GDT: UFC Fight Night: Holloway vs. The Korean Zombie/PFL 9

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I get out of work around 3-4am eastern... do I stay up and ruin my day and watch this ? Most likely sleep a couple hours and watch the main with an early breakfast
I get off at 1 am pacific and am asking myself the same question lol. Though I have to work tomorrow as well so probably not

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I really don't get judges scoring, and I continue to understand it less and less. I'm glad Blanchfield won since she's in the parlay but she did no discernable damage in the 2nd round (maybe like 5 ground strikes?). When they were separated Santos seemed to land more in the 2nd, but obviously Blanchfield had lots of pressure/initiating grappling exchanges. It seems that judging is still so inconsistent, I can never figure out who won what.

Edit: apparently this was a bad take. Santos did have more significant strikes but UFC stats says Blanchfield had 4 minutes of control in the 2nd round??

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Nice win for Blanchfield, but that was close. Probably should have been 25 minutes headlining an Apex card.

The top of that division is all really close.

Reactions: Taytro

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Nice win for Blanchfield, but that was close. Probably should have been 25 minutes headlining an Apex card.

The top of that division is all really close.
Blanchfield's cardio and heart is crazy but if she can't strike with the elite in the division and she can't take them down (what was it 1 for 13?) then she's going to struggle against the Rose's and Valentina's. I think she matches up well for Grasso, so we'll see what happens.

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Really impressed by Nakamura. Lots of work to do in a tough division but he's got some skills.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Really impressed by Nakamura. Lots of work to do in a tough division but he's got some skills.
The way he was blasting through those takedowns even late into the fight was really impressive. His standup isnt second nature and you can see him thinking about what to do sometimes but he's definitely got the potential to make a big name for himself.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
That fight was probably there for the taking for Caceres just wasn't active enough.

Giga looked solid in there.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Fun while it lasted. Could tell Max was going for the finish tonight and that was a great one.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Kind of a grind of a main card, but worth waking up early for that fight and Zombie getting a cool send-off in front of his fans.

Nakatomi

Dec 26, 2022
I really appreciate they gave The Korean Zombie is moment, played his walkout music and didn't talk over i as he left the ring and you just hear all the thousands in attendance singing. A really nice moment for him.

Happy trails to him in retirement.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Surprised Smith got the nod there. Came down to Round 3.
I'm surprised too but mostly because of the optics. I thought Smith clearly landed more in the 3rd but Spann just looked fresher and looked like he was throwing more. Smith was clearly more accurate and this might be the one (and only) time he's actually overcome the adversity instead of being stopped by it.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Glad to see zombie get the send off to retirement like that.

Was a fun fighter to watch over the years

Reactions: CDJ

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Respect to a true legend.

He was up against it with Max. He had his moments, but Max was clearly landing the harder shots and more often. So in true Zombie fashion, he went for it. Playing Zombie on his way out and yeah the announcers not talking over it was so cool. First Lawler, now Zombie. Is the UFC finally getting their shit together when it comes to their legends retiring?

Max did what he had to do. I thought he could have had him out of there in the second, but he didn't follow up after he dropped him. Almost too nice or too much respect.

I hated the fight since the moment it was announced, but it ended up being a real cool moment for both guys.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
As for the rest of the main card...

Smith-Spann was close, but I thought Smith clearly won :dunno:. If it came down to R3 as the announcers thought (and turns out on the judge's cards, too)....Smith outstruck him 45-27 in the third. More shots to the head, body, and legs. I don't think Spann really landed anything significant enough to overcome that discrepancy. Spann acting like he was robbed was especially stupid. Smith looked old, slow, and stiff, though. It was enough to get the job done, but I would not feel confident in him going forward.

Giga-Bruce Leeroy was fine. It was competitive, but Giga's power was the difference.

Nakamura is worth paying attention to. Don't want to oversell anything for beating a guy coming off the Contender Series and 2 losses, but he appears to have some physical tools. Would be cool to have a Japanese contender in the UFC again.

Gutsy, gutsy win by Blanchfield. Santos is the best striker in the division and she's not helpless in the grappling department. If she could get the gas tank issues figured out, she'll be champ. Blanchfield, though, to be this good and this well rounded at 24 is pretty impressive. No doubt should get a title shot next and I like her chances against either Valentina or Grasso.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Passed out at the start of the main card tryna pull an all nighter lol

Just caught up

LOVED that toughness from Blanchfield. Anthony Smith is a dog

TKZ did not respect Holloway’s power and he delivered a Mark Hunt style walk away wowwwww

THANK YOU TKZ FOR EVERYTHING, legend of the game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad